New Documentary from Ken Burns

jayhawk

WKR
I just finished listening to the newest Meateater podcast episode with Ken Burns who’s pitching his new “American Buffalo” documentary. I’m a big fan of Burns, and now can’t wait to see this one when it releases on Oct 16th.

I hope he talks about the Eastern Buffalo in the new film. I just finished a book called “The Long Hunt: Death of the Buffalo East of the Mississippi” and it was incredibly eye-opening to me.

Y’all ought to give this episode a listen if you get the chance. It’s the best one in a long time.

ODB

WKR
I just finished listening to the newest Meateater podcast episode with Ken Burns who’s pitching his new “American Buffalo” documentary. I’m a big fan of Burns, and now can’t wait to see this one when it releases on Oct 16th.

I hope he talks about the Eastern Buffalo in the new film. I just finished a book called “The Long Hunt: Death of the Buffalo East of the Mississippi” and it was incredibly eye-opening to me.

Y’all ought to give this episode a listen if you get the chance. It’s the best one in a long time.

I listened to this today as well - good podcast. And it reinforces what I have said for a long time that Rinella is spoiling his story-telling interest/talents shilling products.

I subscribe to PBS and noticed the show in the Ken Burns section and knew Steve had to have been involved. I am sure there will be some hand-wringing in there, but will be good for sure.

Last edited:
I've found several of the Meateater episodes really informative and interesting. Thanks for the heads up on this one though. I need to go check it out.

Not long ago they had an Archaeologist on talking about searching for evidence from the Coronado Expidition. I knew nothing about Coronado etc and became really interested in it.

That and the recent Lewis and Clark episode. It led me to the Stephen Ambrose book "Undaunted Courage."

Anyway, thanks again for the reminder about this podcast.

Definitely the Meateater I've enjoyed the most in a while. Shoot, it's been a bit since I've finished one.

I love Ken Burns, and bison. I can't wait for the series.

Kilboars

WKR
Thanks. Downloaded it.

I’m a big fan of Steve’s and loved his American Buffalo book but hard to listen to his podcasts cause he talks so much. Interesting guy but let the guest talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COelk89

FNG
The episodes with archeological and historical guests are always wonderful. I quit listening for a long time after listening quite religiously to the first couple of years because I got tired of some of the characters. Recently had an archeology kick and went through and listened to a bunch of episodes...the Coronado one was great, also a episode where they butchered a bison w/ folsom points and a episode about a folsom site above Gunnison. The recent Burns episode was great. It really evoked some thought for me...what have we lost with the loss of the dependence on bison. Folks lives used to revolve around it and now it is virtually gone. Ken Burns documentaries are always top notch.

Scorpion

WKR
I listened to this today as well - good podcast. And it reinforces what I have said for a long time that Rinella is spoiling his story-telling interest/talents shilling products.

I subscribe to PBS and noticed the show in the Ken Burns section and knew Steve had to have been involved. I am sure there will be some hand-wringing in there, but will be good for sure.

He really is a great story teller, probably the best in the contemporary outdoor space. Love the podcast when they have anthropologists, scientists, etc. on the show.

Reactions: ODB