New Duck Gun for 2021

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to retire my well loved but tired Remington 1187 for next fall. It blows O-rings and the charging handle is so loose it fell out on a harlequin hunt out of Homer, AK this year. Any recommendations on a 800-1200 gun. Love the feel of Browning’s A-5 but it’s been so long since I’ve been in the shotgun market I’m not even really sure what the hot new tech is.

I was in the same situation a few years back and retired my 11-87 to turkey hunting duties only and bought a Benelli M2. It has turned out to be a great decision as I shoot the M2 quite well. I have found I dont have to fret over keeping an inertia operated gun as clean as I did the gas operated 11-87. And I always carried a spare set of piston rings, O-rings and an ejector in my blind bag! But dont get me wrong I love the 11-87's.

Don't have any experience with the Browning A5. I did shoot a friends Beretta A400 xtreme right much before purchasing the Benelli and found the A400 felt bulky to me, as I am sort of a smaller framed dude.

Another option if you wish to stick with a gas operated gun is the Winchester SX3/4. I have been very impressed with the ones I have handled and shot.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
There was a VersaMax for sale here on Rokslide. V3 and Versamax are fabulous innovative shotguns. Much overlooked. Softest shooting, simplest gas system.

Squirrels

WKR
Get an inertia driven gun regardless, my 2 cents. I have both a M2 and an A5. I like them both well. The M2 I've had for several years and it has served me well. The A5 is newer and has not been abused like the M2 just yet. I like the "feel" of the A5 better but can't speak to its longevity comparted to the M2. Every gas operated gun I've ownded or been around much will jam and cause much frustration when it gets cold and/or dirty.

OP
207-12A

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
My Dad has a V3 that he shoots well, but it’s not the gun for me. I’ll look in to some inertia guns. I appreciate the feedback.

To meet your price range, I think you would like a Franchi Affinity. I believe the duck hunting specific platform is around $1100 on Sportsman's Warehouse.

I have a SBE2, SBE3, and the Franchi Affinity. I think the Franchi handles very nicely and I don't mind beating it up as much. Taken everything that I have thrown at it.

One of my favorite things to buy is new shotguns! everyone can tell you what they like and what they think is the best and most comfortable. Best thing to do is shoulder all of them and not just once or twice, spend 10-15mins fondling them. First semi auto I bought was a Beretta A300, Had nothing but problems with it, Dad had one as well and had ZERO issues with his. Current shotgun is a Benelli Performance Shop Cordoba! To be this is the BEST 3" autoloader made! I'm a BIG Benelli guy. I would give Benelli a look, they have some new offerings for 2021!

Spoonbill

WKR
Hello. Did you already sold the 22tcm ar? Sorry. I could message you on the item
I may need to double check various state laws and federal regulations, but i do not think a 22 creedmoor is legal for duck hunting.

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a Winchester SX3. It’s a very solid gun. I would recommend an SX4. My brother and buddies shoot them and love them as well.

I finally broke down and bought an SX4 Winchester for a dedicated turkey/water fowl gun and I love it. I handled a bunch of guns when deciding and this one fit me best. Everyone is different though so I think handling them for yourself first is the way to go! Good luck it's fun looking!

870 or 500 to my beretta xtrema 2 as my work horse. I’m happy with it. The a400 is the replacement and I’ve thought about adding one.

a xtrema 2 old stock or safe queen can be found if you look.

mid you want new a Benelli M2 would be a nice one for the money.

pick the one that fits you.

gator6

FNG
I have an original Benelli SBE and love it. I picked up the new A5 a few years back and love it too. It is light and just feels good in the hands. A friend has the Masai mara and loves it. I have not handled it personally. If you know anyone who has shot/handled the US-made Savage Renegauge they are $999 right now thru CDNN. That's a pretty good price.

eakin8

FNG
Browning Maxus here. If you don't need a 3-1/2" chamber, several of my hunting buddies have the Beretta A300 Outlander and its been flawless for all of them, although the fit/finish is nowhere near that of the higher end guns.

Beretta a400. I'm 4 seasons in without hiccup and hunt 50ish days of regular season plus early season and put of state for at least a week, so 60-70 days a year. Its took a beating. Will shoot anything you feed it from 7/8 oz blanks for dog training to 3 1/2" goose and turkey loads. No other gun will do that reliably not even a Benelli SbE2 or 3.

Anyone know if Benelli addressed that POI issue on the original SBEIII i need to find a lefty SBII for my kid was leaning toward the affinity but hard time finding lefty in a 26" in either.