New Duck Gun for 2021

Spoonbill

WKR
Anyone know if Benelli addressed that POI issue on the original SBEIII i need to find a lefty SBII for my kid was leaning toward the affinity but hard time finding lefty in a 26" in either.
Look for a Benelli m2, they are available in 12 and 20 for lefties.

Big fan of my Win SX3. I bought it used and they aren't terribly expensive.
I tried a bunch of guns in the shop and it fit me best. Haven't had any issues. I prefer gas over inertia but I don't shoot a ton of shells and am able to clean my gun a few times a season.

Brendan

WKR
So far I'm a huge fan of the Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus. Shoot it better than my 686 on the skeet range too. My new price was under $1600 purchased, shipped, and transferred - a little above your range but I bet you could find a used one.

I've dropped it in saltwater, cleaned it with a hose, and the only misstep I've had is when I got a big gloved hand in the way of the charging handle and had it not cycle correctly - my fault.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
My vote in that price range would be the Winchester SX3 / SX4 or the Franchi Affinity. I have the X3 in a 12 gauge and the Affinity in a 20 gauge and both are excellent guns.

dtrkyman

WKR
My sbe2 shoots dead on behind the beads. I much prefer the way it handles compared to other guns. I had the original Beretta xtrema prior to it and it was clumsy compared to the sbe.

Handle as many as you can and get the one that feels and fits good!

I had a customer years ago that was a competitive trap and sporting clay shooter, he taught me a lot about fitting shotguns to shooters, I am fortunate that according to him guns are basically built for me so I had no issues learning to wing shoot.

He however was a large dude with a big melon and showed me how much cast his stock needed so he could look down the barrel.

I would highly recommend picking a guy and then going to a reputable shotgun smith and getting it professionally fitted!

Another vote on the m2 from me. I grew up with an 1187, eventually got tired of rusting and cleaning after every use. Never felt a need for 3.5 in shells and the price of an sbe. I found an "m2 American" a few years ago for something like 900 out the door. The American model just doesn't have the comfort tech stock and only come with a mod choke. Not sure if they make them anymore. This has since replaced my 1187 for everything from trap to ducks to turkeys. Nice and light, simple, well built, and doesn't rust if you let it sit between hunts. I call it my $1000 2x4, as a duck gun should be.

They are good to go. Also realize the way benellis are designed are too shoot a little high to start with.... Nothing compared to the fubar they had when the SBE3 was released, But still designed to shoot a little high. Easy to get used to and figured out! Get a benelli and don't look back!

I bought a Benelli Montefeltro this past season for ducks. At ~5 lbs I believe it is one of the lightest 20 ga waterfowl guns you can get, made everything else on the gun rack feel like a brick.

While it is a dream to carry and lightning to the shoulder I cannot get used to the rib. It is a flat rib flush with receiver designed to shoot just above the front bead (unlike raised rib on M2, SBE, etc.). I just can't get used to seeing the top of the rib, and it hurts my shooting. With my 870 I am used to covering the bird with bead, Benelli wants the bead to be right under.

It seems like such a small detail but its soured my desire for this gun. So if looking for a new shotgun make sure you understand difference between flat/raised rib, I did not....

Last year I sold my 11-87 and bought a benelli m2 and a franchi affinity 3. Both are are awesome guns. The franchi is a much better value buy. Both are wonderful to point and shoot. I should have done this year's ago.

Beretta a400. I'm 4 seasons in without hiccup and hunt 50ish days of regular season plus early season and put of state for at least a week, so 60-70 days a year. Its took a beating. Will shoot anything you feed it from 7/8 oz blanks for dog training to 3 1/2" goose and turkey loads. No other gun will do that reliably not even a Benelli SbE2 or 3.

I wish I could say that. My A400 wont cycle 3.5" but maybe 1/3 shots

ianpadron

WKR
Too many good shotguns to choose from right now.

Go swing a few at the gun store and pick the one that feels right.

My favorite gas autoloader is the SX4, fits/swings far better than a Beretta (for me).

Inertia guns, love my Franchi Affinity but would be lying if I told you a new SBE 20 gauge didn't at least make me go hmmmm....

ianpadron

WKR
Last year I sold my 11-87 and bought a benelli m2 and a franchi affinity 3. Both are are awesome guns. The franchi is a much better value buy. Both are wonderful to point and shoot. I should have done this year's ago.

Franchis really are an incredible value.

In fact, I actually prefer how a Franchi balances compared to a Benelli due to the location of the return spring in the forend.

ianpadron

WKR
I bought a Benelli Montefeltro this past season for ducks. At ~5 lbs I believe it is one of the lightest 20 ga waterfowl guns you can get, made everything else on the gun rack feel like a brick.

While it is a dream to carry and lightning to the shoulder I cannot get used to the rib. It is a flat rib flush with receiver designed to shoot just above the front bead (unlike raised rib on M2, SBE, etc.). I just can't get used to seeing the top of the rib, and it hurts my shooting. With my 870 I am used to covering the bird with bead, Benelli wants the bead to be right under.

It seems like such a small detail but its soured my desire for this gun. So if looking for a new shotgun make sure you understand difference between flat/raised rib, I did not....
Keep working with it and you'll end up loving the flat rib.

Takes a little time to adapt for sure, but floating your target is so much more effective than covering it up, it's not even funny!

Take that Monte on an upland hunt and you'll really get the idea.

I picked up a Franchi Affinity Elite this year, about $1100.00 at Sportsmans. Really happy with the gun, nice cerakote finish, swings well and is light enough to carry around for upland. Give them a look. Also Franchi has a 7 year warranty on their new guns.