New Eastern Virginia hunter

Well property has already been bought so I guess we will find out shortly
To the op welcome to rockslide lot of knowledge on here lot of helpfull folks lot of information on this forum if we ever cross paths the beers and lunch are on me

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
yeah i see your point
if it was me they would be a dead bunch of dogs, wouldn't be the first time
and won't be the last that I've shot dogs running on our property the owners get 1 warning to keep their dogs on a leash and under control when off the leash the second time we catch their (dogs) running on our property for any reason there is no second warning the dogs die on sight
that's a good way to end up in jail or heavily fined in virginia

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Well property has already been bought so I guess we will find out shortly
To the op welcome to rockslide lot of knowledge on here lot of helpfull folks lot of information on this forum if we ever cross paths the beers and lunch are on me
I dont think you will have too much trouble around weston with bear hounds, west virginia doesnt have the right to retreive law like virginia does either, they have to ask permission before crossing your land to get the dogs.

Welcome to west virginia!!

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
There are some great military bases a couple hours from you. Ap hill both fort Pickett have great hunting and you don’t have to worry about dogs too much. If I was in your shoes I would be driving that far. Whatever you do if you ever get an invite from @GlendonMullins to go hunting turn it down, he will take you where you hear banjos.
Nothing wrong with Banjos!!! lol

Brand new hunter here. Live in Virginia Beach, was curious about hunting deer on public land in the area like Back Bay, Cavalier, etc. If it's super over crowded, etc. I have a few friends who are going to take me up to some private land after the rut this year but I wanted to get in earlier and try my luck. Looking forward to starting hunting for the first time in my 40's!
Cavalier is a shit show and not worth your time, not sure about Back bay, if I recall there isn’t much high ground. Not sure about the military bases, never went that route. Luckily I have a buddy with land so I haven’t had to bother looking. Also, most places that run dogs/have hunt clubs it’s hard to get permission from land owners. Couple good clubs in Surry… big deer. And you can bow hunt all the way up to dog season. I stop hunting once the dogs start running.

OP
V

Vail26

FNG
Cavalier is a shit show and not worth your time, not sure about Back bay, if I recall there isn’t much high ground. Not sure about the military bases, never went that route. Luckily I have a buddy with land so I haven’t had to bother looking. Also, most places that run dogs/have hunt clubs it’s hard to get permission from land owners. Couple good clubs in Surry… big deer. And you can bow hunt all the way up to dog season. I stop hunting once the dogs start running.
Yeah, I've heard cavalier can be an absolute mess but it was worth a shot considering it's 30 minutes from me. I have a small field in the Gloucester area I can hunt but it's up against the water so not sure how beneficial it'll be I do know the deer are active there though. Don't really have the funds for a hunt club this year. So just trying to get my feet wet in the best way