New elk bow needed for 46YO FNG re-entering bow hunting after 15 yrs

I need a new bow and some advice. I've been out of bow hunting for 15 years. Only did eastern whitetail hunting back then. I plan on chasing elk with sticks and strings in Montana next year on a DIY hunt. I've hunted elk a good bit but never bow hunted elk before, fortunately I am going with an experienced partner. I plan on using this bow primarily for western elk and mule deer hunting, maybe some eastern whitetails occasionally. I'm not a pay for the name guy but I am willing to spend the money for equipment that is worth it.
Any and all advice is welcome, especially from experienced elk bow hunters! Thanks in advance.

Zac

WKR
Elk hunting has way more to do with your arrow and broadhead setup than your bow. I'd say get something with a letoff and poundage you can hold for a good bit with multiple pins.

OP
westdreamer
Elk hunting has way more to do with your arrow and broadhead setup than your bow. I'd say get something with a letoff and poundage you can hold for a good bit with multiple pins.
About what weight - arrow and broadhead combined - is most recommended?

Rob5589

WKR
Welcome! I would hit up your local archery shop, been a bunch of changes the last 15 years.

Arrow weight rec's vary but 450 seems to be a good start. A hair popping sharp broadhead perfectly tuned is just as important. Maybe more so.

Zac

WKR
About what weight - arrow and broadhead combined - is most recommended?
For elk you aren't going to need alot of trajectory if your calling so I would say ideal would be 500 to 550 grains. You want to check your states regs on allowed letoff. I would say use the heaviest shaft you can while staying in the 260 to 280 fps range. Early season you should be able to get away with a shorter brace so that is a non issue. If your backpack hunting you may want to look into a lighter weight option like a carbon bow. You can get some great deals on the Hoyt RX3 right now.

LostArra

WKR
You're still young but how is your shoulder health? A forgiving draw cycle is very important to me. I came to compounds after 50 years of recurves and a shoulder surgery 25 years ago. I have sacrificed bow speed specs for a bow I can smoothly draw in any situation and has a solid back wall. I've never even shot my compound thru a chrono but the experts tell me it's slow.

I'm with Zac on the 500+ grain arrows. I shoot that weight for elk, deer and hogs. Trajectory isn't a big issue because if I can't get within 40 yards (usually 30) of those animals I need to up my hunting skills, not make a flatter shooting setup with light arrows.

OP
westdreamer
Thanks for the info so far everybody. I believe my shoulder is ok, I'll find out soon. Sounds like 450 - 550 grain arrow weight and of course super sharp, strong broadheads. I am going to try to go to the nearest proshop/indoor range Wednesday and try some different bows.

Marble

WKR
Thanks for the info so far everybody. I believe my shoulder is ok, I'll find out soon. Sounds like 450 - 550 grain arrow weight and of course super sharp, strong broadheads. I am going to try to go to the nearest proshop/indoor range Wednesday and try some different bows.
Thats what I would advise. Go shoot a bunch of them. Even bows you don't think you'll like. Consider what brands the shop supports. It helps when a shop knows a lot about the brand you are buying.

Most guys get bows that max out at 70 pounds. 60 will work just fine too.

I like 70. Its easy for me to pull and the with the extra power I just make my arrow little heavier.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR