New elk hunter needing backpack help

clint6760

FNG
Hello everyone. I’m planning a backpacking elk trip next year. I plan on going either elk, mule deer, or antelope hunting every year. I’m from arkansas and will only be able to go for 7-10 days a year. I’m needing a pack. Being a teacher and a member of leoadventures, I can get a big discount on a Sitka mountain hauler or slumberjack bounty 2.0. My other choices are Kuiu pro pack while it’s on sale right now or wait out some discounts on mystery ranch. In order of least expensive to most it would be slumberjack, Sitka, kuiu, mystery ranch. I like the idea of pack separating from frame which the Sitka does not. I know Kifaru, exo, Stone glacier are all better options but with needing so much new gear, I can’t afford the top of the line packs. What are your thoughts? Thanks

My thoughts are buy a top of the line pack and cross it off the list. In my early days I bought 3 different cheap ass packs trying to get it right. Then I bought a "top of the line" pack and haven't looked back. The money I spent trying to get it right on 3 packs would have paid for a "top of the line" pack.

Try on as many packs as you can WITH weight. A lot of the companies you mentioned are good, however, they may fit you differently depending on your body type, torso etc. Most packs feel great with 10 lbs in them. If you can get 40+ lbs in them, you will start to notice a clear better fit. There are a lot of threads on this forum with valuable information on packs. Try to search them out. I would just try and be as patient as possible so that you get the right pack the first time. The worst thing that could happen is for you to think you have a great fitting pack only to get out into the elk woods and be in pain. Nothing makes 80lbs of meat seem "easy" however, there are definitely some packs that will work better for you.

I would suggest however seeing if you can swing into that top tier of pack. You can buy two $300 packs in a few years or you can go straight to the top and have the pack for a long time. In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with a stoneglacier, exo or Kifaru. Just make sure the pack fits!! I would suggest saving money on clothing/equipment and spending the extra cash on a pack. There are a lot of deals for clothes/gear that you can get on classifieds or places like Camofire. I wouldnt short yourself on a pack. There's nothing worse than a painful pack experience on a hunt you spent a lot of money on.

Last edited:
I definatly agree with the guys saying put your money in the pack. i bought an Exo and for me is a night and day difference from my dads slumberjack pack when you have an elk quarter in it. You can buy clothes off amazon that keep you warm on a budget pretty easy. for example i bought a light long sleeve merino t shirt and a puffy for $110 total and used regular shirts and a sweatshirt i had already with it and stayed warm down into the teens this year. or if its september warmth wont really be to big of an issue. you also can find multi uses for your pack in other seasons.

Jbehredt

WKR
I went from using my issued ilbe to a gander branded pack, to a badlands, to a tenzing to a slumberjack to a Sitka bivy 30 to an exo to a kifaru/exo. All but the exo bags and kifaru frame have been sent down the road or are gathering dust on a shelf in the basement. If you’re anything like most of us, you’ll eventually own the pack you really want, it’s just a matter of how much money you throw away getting there.

OP
C

clint6760

FNG
I get what most of y’all are saying. I’m a big whitetail hunter and would like a dual purpose bag. I won’t be able to go for more than 10 days at a time with two small kids and being a teacher. I was leaning toward the kuiu because I could easily switch bags to a whitetail day pack. I have kinda narrowed it down to kuiu or mystery ranch. I know there are better choices but for one week a year these are both suitable I think.
Also I have no way of trying on packs that I know of. Nowhere in Arkansas has a dealer of any of these packs that I know of.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
I get what most of y’all are saying. I’m a big whitetail hunter and would like a dual purpose bag. I won’t be able to go for more than 10 days at a time with two small kids and being a teacher. I was leaning toward the kuiu because I could easily switch bags to a whitetail day pack. I have kinda narrowed it down to kuiu or mystery ranch. I know there are better choices but for one week a year these are both suitable I think.
Also I have no way of trying on packs that I know of. Nowhere in Arkansas has a dealer of any of these packs that I know of.

KUIU really wouldn't be a bad bag to go with. Especially with the sale going on right now. I saw they had the full pack kits at a discount too. You can get the Ultra 4000 kit for $328 out the door and free shipping. That's a pretty dang good deal. That's with a pack load hauler too. If you're taking it out west I wouldn't get anything less than 3000 CU. Make sure that at max it can fit a hind elk quarter too.

Last edited:

Phaseolus

WKR
If you look around there are plenty of quality used packs, you may wish to go that route for now.

gfreidy

WKR
Footwear and Packs are what you shouldn’t compromise on if you become a backcountry hunter. Make sure those are covered with top tier gear what fit you best personally.

Jimss

WKR
If you plan on doing much big game hunting down the road I would highly recommend biting the bullet and buying Kifaru or Stone Glacier. Keep a tight eye on the classified section of this and other websites, ebay, craigslist, etc. You can likely get an almost new one for about 1/2 price or a great discount. A lot of guys swap out older models for the newest and greatest models which may not be too terribly different than some of the old models. I got smart a couple years ago and bought 2 Kifaru bags plus a frame for close to 1/2 price....and have never regretting my decision. I'm on a super tight budget and actually sold a few things I don't use to pay for them. You will likely save yourself a chunk of change in the long run buying the best rather than buying something else and being frustrated.....then buying Kifaru/SG later down the road! If you don't hunt very often it may or may not be that important to you?

Mystery ranch is a great pack, on par with anything out there. I owned a kuiu for a short while and didn’t like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

techmanil

FNG
Seek Outside makes a good pack. I bought a Goshawk last year and would recommend it. We pack in for about 8 days and I have been able to fit everything in or on pack. They generally run a sale around the first of December.

jmez

WKR
Nothing wrong with the Kuiu packs. They are reasonably priced, durable and carry loads well. My hunting partner has one and has carried a lot of loads with it. He has a great time every year, never complains about his pack, and has yet to be injured or damaged while using it.

I get your budget constraints, I was there when I started elk hunting. By some miracle, I was able to survive, have a great time, and return uninjured or maimed for life using an Eberlestock for 4 years. Gasp, hard to believe I know.

Like you, I was clueless about backpacks when I started. Starting out with a cheaper, yet still very functional backpack allowed me to learn what was important to me in a pack. When I was ready and able to upgrade it made the choice pretty easy.

Stay within your budget, get out west and have a good time.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

3sdad

FNG
Of your choices I would go with the mystery ranch Metcalf. That Newberg group packs a lot of meat, so I assume its a solid choice. I tried a kuiu icon and ended up going with a kifaru. No regrets. That being said, if I were in your shoes I would spend the extra 2-300 bucks and get a proven pack system. I would suggest an antelope hunt or mule deer hunt that are more or less truck hunts instead of a backcountry elk hunt. You can go without a backcountry sleep system/shelter/cookware/water filter/ etc when you make it back to the truck every day and buy that other stuff for the following season. Just some food for thought. Good luck!

Cody_W

WKR
If you plan on doing much big game hunting down the road I would highly recommend biting the bullet and buying Kifaru or Stone Glacier. Keep a tight eye on the classified section of this and other websites, ebay, craigslist, etc. You can likely get an almost new one for about 1/2 price or a great discount. A lot of guys swap out older models for the newest and greatest models which may not be too terribly different than some of the old models. I got smart a couple years ago and bought 2 Kifaru bags plus a frame for close to 1/2 price....and have never regretting my decision. I'm on a super tight budget and actually sold a few things I don't use to pay for them. You will likely save yourself a chunk of change in the long run buying the best rather than buying something else and being frustrated.....then buying Kifaru/SG later down the road! If you don't hunt very often it may or may not be that important to you?

I have a Stone Glacier 40/56 on the new Krux Evo frame I’m trying to sell if it’s of interest.

Luckyrxc

FNG
Great suggestions here already. I will add a vote for a high zoot used pack. Nothing wrong with buying a used pack on this classified board.

OP
C

clint6760

FNG
Thanks for the help and ideas everybody. I went with a new EXO K2 pack that just went on sale for $400. I can always add the new 1800 daypack they came out with for whitetail hunts in my home state.