New equipment

Mosby

WKR
Every year after the season, I go through my equipment and determine what needs to be replaced or what can be upgraded. My current stuff works pretty well and the upgrades are not big leaps but incremental value but it gives me something to do and take advantage of some sales. Here are the things I have bought or working on:

- Knife: I got one of the older Benchmade Steep Country models. First new knife I have bought in several years. I wanted something smaller that weighs less than my current knives. I didn't really need it but I like knives.
- Field Sharpener: Bought a Worksharp to try.
- Watch. My solar watch died. Bought a Garmin.
- Headlamp: still working on this but leaning towards a Fenix. I want something smaller and rechargeable than what I have that also uses CR123 batteries. Two of my cheap lights broke.
- Truck storage and organization for tow straps, winch etc., Tired of stuff laying around the back of truck. Trips to HD and Menards in near future.
- Tires. Replacing stock tires before next season. I normally go with Cooper 10 ply but its been awhile since I looked at tires so I am going to start doing research towards the end of summer and check out new offerings.

What are you guys buying or replacing before next year?

Last edited:

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I have three hounds. One doesn't have her heart in the hunt. More of a me too dog, meaning when the others get a hare up she joins in the chase yelling ME TOO!!! No hunt in her. I am going to rehome her and breed the other female. Keep two of the pups and give/sell the rest away. That's about the only upgrade I'm going to do.

Wapiti1

WKR
Build a new percussion muzzleloader for this fall. I don't need another, but haven't built one in a while.

New 6 jaw scroll chuck for my big lathe. Also snag some new insert toolholders.

Make a new stock for one of my rifles out of flame maple.

Build a small hot blue tank setup.

Buy a bunch of random things that I think I need, don't and either end up selling or more likely giving away.

Jeremy

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
I have three hounds. One doesn't have her heart in the hunt. More of a me too dog, meaning when the others get a hare up she joins in the chase yelling ME TOO!!! No hunt in her. I am going to rehome her and breed the other female. Keep two of the pups and give/sell the rest away. That's about the only upgrade I'm going to do.
Dogs can be hit or miss. I have a Vizsla at home who's dad was a national field trial champion. Love her to death but she couldn't find a bird in her food bowl.

I hear you on the tires, I upgraded early to get the winter benefit.

Just picked up some knee highs, which was a gap in my footwear collection. Irish setters were on sale at Cabela's and comfortable. Hope they hold up, but doubt I'll be too hard on them.

Been looking for some non insulated waterproof gloves but seem to be pretty limited options.

Ritzer81

FNG
I currently use Trangia stoves for all my backpacking, hunting, and other outdoors trips. Looking at buying a MSR WindBurner.

I bought a 14x16 Davis Tent with stove and rain fly. Cant wait to set it up.

I am also having a muzzlebreak installed on my 300WIN MAG Thompson Center Pro Hunter to go along with a 5-25 Vortex.

My wife told me the other day that if I didn't start healing up from my shoulder surgeries and get a better attitude that she might RE-HOME me also! Told me I'd be going back to the shelter I came from. If they run out of room there's a chance I might have to be put down.

I rarely buy new equipment.
I will purchase a new filter for my 10-liter Katadyn gravity filter.
And more seam sealer for waterproofing shell mittens I made from old breathable waders.

I do need to make a canoe rack for a pickup with 5-foot bed...spring project.
Also need to repair a crack on the bottom of my 30-year old cedar strip canoe...another spring project.

boom

WKR
my jetboil broke. that is the only thing i need to replace. i find buying gear super tiresome now...i kinda hate it.

Lastcar

Lil-Rokslider
Taking it easy this year.

Just bought the Benchmade Bugout Mini and MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe.

Neither is really replacing anything that truly needed replacing but nice upgrades relative to what I was using for their purpose.

My wallet is breathing a sigh of relief this off season.

i don't need to upgrade anything this year........ but i'm gonna anyways!

i have a duplex lite/reckoning in transit... it won't take the place of my EXO, but i wanted a bigger bag.... common sense says get a bigger bag for the pack i own and like, but i have been wanting to test the duplex lite, so i went that route.

also have a SG skyline bino harness in transit, and a razco holster for it ordered... the SG harness will replace my outdoor vision. i like the OV, but i'm going to like the SG more.

other things are kryptek takur raingear, the new fold up peax trekking poles, i recently got the peax gaiters and like them, and i got some crispi nevadas which are really nice boots, but aren't the best boots on my feet.... going to get a pair of Zamberlans pretty soon to try.

gonna get a new compact tripod for glassing, not decided on which yet, but it will need to be of decent quality, relatively light and packable, and i'll need a pan head for it as well.... not sure which direction i'll go.

going to replace my morrison super curve with another standard recurve, that deal is probably going down today on trade. going to add the zpacks bathtub ground sheet to my sleep system, and plan on getting a spartan bipod my my rifle and my wife's.

knowing myself, that's a fraction of the "real list" but that's what i can think of now. i like trying different gear every year just to form my own opinion, and stick with the stuff that turns out to be the stand outs.... that's my form of drinking and partying.... i buy hunting stuff to try.