New Exo 4800 VS New Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80

Does anyone have any thoughts on these two packs? I am going to buy a new backpacking pack this summer and I can't decide which. 5 day trips is probably about the max that I will be going, and have considered all the factors such as capacity, weight, durability, price etc. I am just wondering if anyone has any nit-picky details that makes them prefer one over the other. Stuff that the websites won't tell you. Thanks!

Kulshan

Lil-Rokslider
American made EXO vs overseas Mystery Ranch. That would be my decision maker.

Having said that I was very impressed with the MR MT frame and belt when I borrowed a buddies.

In reality if where it’s made doesn’t matter then price might. It’s hard to have a real opinion on EXO because the new frames haven’t hit the market.

TreyPound

FNG
I like the side pockets on the K3500 for spotting scope or what ever you can cram in it. Messed with the Metcalf a while before I bought the EXO. I think they’re both great packs, I just prefer the layout of the 3500.

gdeno79

FNG
Question: I am looking at the Beartooth 80 and the EXO 4800. I can get the Beartooth for a significant discount or I could get the EXO at 10% off. 1. do you have any experience with the EXO and if you do which would you pick? 2. Is the EXO really worth the extra money?

No xo experience but I own a beartooth. It is a nice pack but I don’t have enough time under it to offer a review. The lighter weight material is not as confidence inspiring as the old packs but I expect it is just as durable. I like the organization a lot over the Metcalf I had before.

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any thoughts on these two packs? I am going to buy a new backpacking pack this summer and I can't decide which. 5 day trips is probably about the max that I will be going, and have considered all the factors such as capacity, weight, durability, price etc. I am just wondering if anyone has any nit-picky details that makes them prefer one over the other. Stuff that the websites won't tell you. Thanks!
Did you ever chose? I’m kind of in the same situation

OP
NotsofarOutWest
Did you ever chose? I’m kind of in the same situation
Yeah I ended up going with the Exo 4800. While I haven’t hauled a big meat load with it yet, I used it before season training with loads up to 80 pounds and it is hands down the nicest pack I have every owned. I don’t have a ton of experience with it yet, but I would recommend it for sure.

lck90

FNG
I was torn between wanting the Exo 4800 and a couple different MR packs. Pulled the trigger yesterday on the Beartooth 80 on Blackovis for $396 to my door with a free hat. It was hard for me to pass up that much pack at that price. Lets hope I like it!

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
Damn that’s a really good price. You could almost buy the beartooth pack and the sawtooth bag only for the same price as the exo 4800

Last edited:

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
EXO 4800 will be hard to beat, love mine. FYI I’ve had eberlestock, Kuiu, bad lands, Kifaru and mystery ranch pre China.
worth the roughly $100 more? I know this is a 1st world problem, but I hear the Beartooth is coming out in subalpine in jan 2020. would match the rest of my gear... 🤔

Runolfson

FNG
I've hunted two seasons with my exo 3500 and love it. The pocket layout and the ease at which you can get the pack to do what you want it to do is awesome. I've trained with it on, hauled meat, hunted with camp on my back and used it as a day pack. It just works.

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
The one thing that I really like about the 4800 and the beartooth 80 is the 270 front zipper. Can’t tell you how many times that would have made I much easier to access somethin in my tent without saving to blindly dig