New eye drops vs cheaters/readers

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
So I am picking up some a sample of eye drops tomorrow that are supposed to help those of us with aging eyes. The way the optometrist explained it, they constrict your pupil to help you focus on closer things (reading distance). According to him the drawback is they really screw up your night vision so it’s best to put them in only during daytime.

I hate breaking out the readers to study OnX, etc…. Anybody have any hunting experience using these….good or bad?

Murph1

Lil-Rokslider
I've been considering that too. It's ingredient is pilocarpine 1.25% and is not covered by insurance. Runs about $90 for 2.5ml. You can get pilocarpine 1% for $30 for 15ml. Going look into that option.

OP
T

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. Might look into trying the 1% if the free sample of 1.25% works. I’ll let you know how the trial goes. Thanks.

11boo

WKR
Good input, but losing night vision is a big minus. Been following that stuff tho, let us know your thoughts.

OP
T

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed on the night vision. I discussed that with him. The drops typically last 4-8 hours on most people so I’m thinking I’d only put them in at first light then maybe again around noon or one. Probably still need to carry cheaters but at least wouldn’t have to break them out as often.

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Been thinking the same thing. Up to 2x on readers and they are a PITA. Spend a lot of time on the computer and find myself constantly switching back and forth or wearing them down on my nose like an old guy. Did the reading contacts years ago and really worked well but was flying a lot at the time for my job and they would fall out of my eyes from the dry air in the airplane. Got to try something different as I also have trouble seeing the the reticle on my scopes. Readers suck but right now are a necessary evil.

Lee_R

Lil-Rokslider
I've been considering that too. It's ingredient is pilocarpine 1.25% and is not covered by insurance. Runs about $90 for 2.5ml. You can get pilocarpine 1% for $30 for 15ml. Going look into that option.
Where are you seeing the 1% for $30....through your Dr or somewhere else? I'm not seeing it for anywhere near that online. Thank you!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
I have been afflicted with presbyopia for about 20 years. I have often joked why weren't smart phones invented when I was younger and could actually see/read the screen without my readers. :D. Always needing them to read is a royal PITA.

I have not heard of this for "old eyes." Watching this thread and interested to read (albeit with my glasses) the experience others have with this option.

Eddie

*zap*

WKR
I wear contacts some time which then requires me to use readers....for glasses I prefer sport style with no arms and a band that holds them on...just raise up onto the forehead and I can read fine with no contacts in....they look kinda strange but I gave up on what people think a while ago. Very comfortable and functional corrective glasses...

LostArra

WKR
I had lasik surgery 25 years ago and was told I would eventually need readers and I do. During this time my distance vision seems to have improved dramatically. That benefit far outweighs wearing readers and I would hate to risk it with pilocarpine drops in addition to the possible night vision effects.

This style of reader has been a game changer for me. I wear them hunting especially in a treestand. I'm with zap. I don't care how they look.

Unoboats

WKR
Talked with my brother he is going to get me some samples, since I am near sighted it will help tremendously. The active ingredient is what is used on glaucoma patients all the time. He said he could write me a 1% prescription if I like, but he said try the samples first to see if I like them.

Unoboats

WKR
I use clics also but to not have them hanging would be great. If you are far sighted you may not see a big difference.

I have been using the eye drops for 3 weeks. Been using readers for about 4 years, only at 1.5. I have clic readers that I love, will continue to use and keep. Been mainly using the drops on weekends when working on projects. My clics get beat up, sweaty and dirty and just get in the way sometimes. The drops work for stuff at arms length. For working all day on something they didn't seem to last and was grabbing my readers. For me, I won't get more of it unless small projects that don't take much time

Murph1

Lil-Rokslider
Where are you seeing the 1% for $30....through your Dr or somewhere else? I'm not seeing it for anywhere near that online. Thank you!
By looking up the price using Goodrx for pharmacies in my area.