New fixed blade broadhead suggestions

dotman

WKR
I have been shooting NAP hellrazors for a few years and get good groupings with them but wow do they seem to be very hard to retain a sharp edge, so finally sick of having to always touch them up. What does everyone recommend that will not dull quickly by just the quiver foam.

ckleeves

WKR
I don't personally use them but I bought a pack to try out and I would have to say that if I were to shoot a fixed blade it would probably be QAD Exodus. They shoot great and after quite a few shots into my rinehart 18-1 they were still crazy sharp. That or the Vpa they look pretty sweet.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using Wac'em broadheads and havent shot anything that flies better at 300+ fps. They are also very sharp and are all steel with a coc type head,

Shuttle t, VPA, slick trick. With shuttle t's flying the best out of those in my testing.

Last edited:

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
VPA's steel seems to be he hardest I've been able to try. Montec cs will be slightly more than what you have now and I haven't tried first hand but Magnus Snuffer SS is also heralded.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I have been shooting the Trophy Taker Terminal-T's and they are wicked sharp and fly great out of my setup. Shaper and more accurate than the other heads I have tried which include G5 Montec, Hellrazor, Shuttle-T, slick trick standards and the RFA Phoenix.

Yukondog

WKR
I use slick trick magnums 100's. They have worked great for me over the last three years. Sharp edge, durable and most of all fly great out of my set up. Been very happy with them and don't see a need to make a change.

Matt

sk1

WKR
i love me some slick trick standards, but i have shot other slick tricks and appear to shoot the same for me....love how they fly, they came out with new cut on contact broadheads this year if that's important to you

in second place for me would be the wec em tritons

Lawnboi

WKR
Trophy taker makes a heck of a fixed blade.

The new solid broadheads sold by sands archery look really good and may be worth a look

VPA has also been on my radar for a while.

Slick tricks are good quality as well

Cant go wrong with any of the above mentioned i dont think

OP
D

dotman

WKR
How well do the slick tricks holdup shooting into a target, same question for shuttle t's? I think these are my current top two, the s&s ones are just way too expensive and limited dealer network on the vap's plus I don't know what their price is.

I like to shoot only broadheads year round so I'm hoping the blades will hold up and not breakoff in the target. I also like the idea of replaceable blades vs sharpening.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Blades on any of the mentioned heads should hold up fine shooting into a target...

weaver

WKR
I have never had a slick trick break and i shoot target a lot with them.

Lawnboi

WKR
The trophy taker shuttles or terminals have some super thick blades, thicker than the slick tricks. The trophy taker heads are by far the most solid feeling, changeable blade, fixed blade that i have ever put my hands on.

If you by any chance shoot 125grain i can send you a few shuttles to test out as i no longer shoot 125g heads.

The other good thing about the TT is that the blades are solid, and dont make that whistle that the ST do. I bet that having a solid blade adds a bit to the durability of the blade when contacting somehting solid.

Iv smacked BH's together before with the shuttles. And other than a little nick in the blades they were still fully in tact.

Yukondog

WKR
I would say that the slick tricks are tougher on targets as you have four blades doing damage. When I was shooting different BH's to find the one I liked the three blade BH's seemed to do less damage and where easier to pull out. I have three practice slick trick BH's that I've shot over the years and if I was in a pinch I would feel confident to hunt with one. Still sharp and fly great.

Matt

How well do the slick tricks holdup shooting into a target, same question for shuttle t's? I think these are my current top two, the s&s ones are just way too expensive and limited dealer network on the vap's plus I don't know what their price is.

I like to shoot only broadheads year round so I'm hoping the blades will hold up and not breakoff in the target. I also like the idea of replaceable blades vs sharpening.

Shuttle t's are definitely the tougher head out of the two. They are made with harder steel than the slick tricks. Also the solid blades on the shuttles make them tougher than the slick trick blades which can curl in my experience. Both heads will hold up fine in a target thou. I am more concerned with what they do when they contact bone... etc.

Both heads are great. But the shuttle t pulls ahead in my opinion through my "testing". They out penetrate the slick tricks and fly better at longer distances.

Do some testing shoot both heads are long range and see which one shoots better. At 70 and 80 yards the shuttle t's were more consistent and grouped tighter than slick tricks at least for my set up. I don't shoot that far hunting but if one flys better at longer ranges than that one is the better flying bh for hunting. Accuracy is king when it comes to hunting!

Slick tricks are scary sharp thou and fly great as well. The Vipertrick is a pretty sweet head.

70 yard group with shuttle t's
IMG_0408.jpg

A guy on archery talk did some serious broadhead testing and shuttle t's came out on top as far as penetration and accuracy.

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
Just watched a few videos on S&S's solid broadhead. Impressive. Considering the cost of a S30V knife it could be justifiable but still a hard sell.