New fletching popping off

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I use the blue top gorilla glue. Haven't had problems. I do take the time to wipe any squeeze out with a q tip as I'm going.

OP
ScreamingPotato
Since this got bumped I should provide an update. I did a bunch of test batches, really have trouble cleaning the excess off of any of the super glue type gels. I ended up using heavy beads of Platinum and that seems to have fixed the problem. I have a couple now that have gone through deer, and a good bit of practice shots without any issues. I can grab and pull on the vanes pretty firmly without anything popping off. I think I just wasn't using enough of the Platinum when I laid it down.

Since this got bumped I should provide an update. I did a bunch of test batches, really have trouble cleaning the excess off of any of the super glue type gels. I ended up using heavy beads of Platinum and that seems to have fixed the problem. I have a couple now that have gone through deer, and a good bit of practice shots without any issues. I can grab and pull on the vanes pretty firmly without anything popping off. I think I just wasn't using enough of the Platinum when I laid it down.
Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for the follow-up.

MattB

WKR
If you are having to clean off excess glue, you are very likely using too much. On 2” vanes like Blazers, I use 3 drops of super glue gel and use the applicator tip to spread it evenly along the foot of the vane. If there is any excess, I wipe it off with a paper towel after I remove the arrow from the jig.

Good catch yall. All brand new components I didn't think to clean them so that may be the missing piece. Ugh... 36 vanes wasted not to mention time. Thanks for the input.
Are you using wraps? They make life easier all around. The best part about them is refletching, a lot easier to get the wrap off, a little acetone wipe down, and back in business

MattB

WKR
Are you using wraps? They make life easier all around. The best part about them is refletching, a lot easier to get the wrap off, a little acetone wipe down, and back in business
I used to clean my shafts before applying wraps and a buddy of mine told me he prefers the shafts to be less clean so the wraps come off more easily. I tried it and have never had a wrap lift. Not sure whether they actually come off more easily from a cleaned shaft, but it saves me what seems to be an unnecessary step in the process.

If I damage a vane and need to re-fletch I just spin the end of the shaft over a very low flame on our stove to heat them up. They peel off in less than 30 seconds - usually in one piece.

I used to clean my shafts before applying wraps and a buddy of mine told me he prefers the shafts to be less clean so the wraps come off more easily. I tried it and have never had a wrap lift. Not sure whether they actually come off more easily from a cleaned shaft, but it saves me what seems to be an unnecessary step in the process.

If I damage a vane and need to re-fletch I just spin the end of the shaft over a very low flame on our stove to heat them up. They peel off in less than 30 seconds - usually in one piece.
Absolutely, I clean them “good enough” but certainly don’t get them to smooth perfect carbon, another upside to wraps. I despise cleaning fletching glue off a bare carbon shaft to re-fletch

When removing wraps, if I’m dealing with more than one, I boil a pan of water and dip them for a few seconds and the wraps come off pretty easy

MattB

WKR
Absolutely, I clean them “good enough” but certainly don’t get them to smooth perfect carbon, another upside to wraps. I despise cleaning fletching glue off a bare carbon shaft to re-fletch

When removing wraps, if I’m dealing with more than one, I boil a pan of water and dip them for a few seconds and the wraps come off pretty easy
Sad to say, but I have ruined a half a dozen or more arrows over the years trying to remove glue from shafts I was going to re-fletch. Wraps save me time and money.....and from feeling like a dumb ass.

tdoublev

FNG
For what it’s worth, if you didn’t use a wrap, you can use one of those copper coated scouring pads to scrape the glue off bare carbon pretty easily. Still takes some effort but you can get it off in a couple minutes

I use blaser vanes. Blue cap gorilla super glue. I wipe arrows with alcohol before I apply the glue and I never have issues.

It's unreal how much vanes cost these days. I don't skimp on the glue...