New fly fishing setup suggestions needed

ODB

WKR
As someone said above, our “low-end” rods of today are quite damn good.

And I will echo the “try it” approach. I have found that for my style of fishing, a shorter, slow to medium action rod works best. Action will vary among brands so it’s best to give them a whack to see what works best for you.

I have older Orvis rods and have never found them lacking. Even the old wrapped Clearwater 5wt still works very well.

Austink47

WKR
I have been very impressed with the echo ion rods. Pair one with a sierra trading post lamson reel and a good scientific angler line, and you should have a pretty solid set up. Another rod that has really impressed me is the TFO Tircx 5wt no fighting but loaded with a 6wt line.

I’d stay away from sage and redington. Both make good rods but They just changed their warranty so you’ll get roasted on repairs if you buy an older rod and once they quit making the rod if you buy a new one. Orvis gets a bad rap due to some past products and their clothing brand, but they guys currently running the fly fishing side are putting out some really solid products. The clearwater is a dang good rod for 200$. Another nice thing with orvis is that they will send you replacement sections on all new generation rods instead of having to send it in for repair. Echo makes solid rods in that price range too.

I use Redington waders and the company has always been great to me when it came to repairs or replacements.

Orvis makes outstanding fishing gear and has stellar customer service. I snapped a guide's Recon on the North Platte in WY and he said, "No problem, Orvis has my back." Two days later, he had a new section in hand.

I use Redington waders and the company has always been great to me when it came to repairs or replacements.

Orvis makes outstanding fishing gear and has stellar customer service. I snapped a guide's Recon on the North Platte in WY and he said, "No problem, Orvis has my back." Two days later, he had a new section in hand.
I have always loved both sage and redington but they both recently changed their rod repair policies. Sage is now 250$ a section for discontinued rods. I have a sage approach I payed 350$ for- If I were to break all the sections it would cost me $1000. Redington is now 250$ for a discontinued rod, about twice what I payed for my classic trout.

I wasn't aware of that.

To be fair, they may be running out of old blanks, so if they have to do special runs it could be costly. The lifetime or 25-year warranty on rods was always a little odd to me. I guess it's calculated in the initial price, but I'd rather pay less up front and have the option of breakage insurance.

I once picked up an old pair of Orvis waders (circa 1980) at a garage sale for $10 and brought them to a buddy at Orvis just to show him the antique. He offered me $100 off a new pair. That's a little silly.

S.Clancy

WKR
500$ for a rod is stupid. You can get a really good rod, reel and other essentials for that. Fly fishing is more about your casting skill and reading water than anything. A good caster can take a 40$ rod from Walmart and shame basically everyone.

When you pick a rod basically decide on tip flex/fast action or full flex/slow-medium action. The former is easier to cast at first, the latter makes a great dry fly rod. If I had to choose a "one rod to rule them all" Id pick a fast action. As far as brand, pick one with the best warranty, thats what matters most

500$ for a rod is stupid. You can get a really good rod, reel and other essentials for that. Fly fishing is more about your casting skill and reading water than anything. A good caster can take a 40$ rod from Walmart and shame basically everyone.

When you pick a rod basically decide on tip flex/fast action or full flex/slow-medium action. The former is easier to cast at first, the latter makes a great dry fly rod. If I had to choose a "one rod to rule them all" Id pick a fast action. As far as brand, pick one with the best warranty, thats what matters most
$1200 for a bow is stupid, a good archer could outshoot anyone. I decided a long time ago that everyone spends "stupid" money on something- just pick your stupid and roll with it. There are people that spend thousands on koi fish or bonsai trees and to them it's worth it. My problem is I have found too many things to spend stupid money on.

S.Clancy

WKR
$1200 for a bow is stupid, a good archer could outshoot anyone. I decided a long time, ago that everyone spends "stupid" money on something- just pick your stupid and roll with it. There are people that spend thousands on koi fish or bonsai trees and to them it's worth it. My problem is I have found too many things to spend stupid money on.
I guess I just spend stupid money on gas and time off to go do the things I love instead of buy stuff that doesnt matter. To each their own I guess.

So many options, I have heard a famous fly fisherman call a fly rod an over priced pointing device. They are really proud of some of them and the guys using them for the most part would do the same with a 100$ rod!

St Croix are fantastic with a great warranty.

Unless you plan on a lot of streamer fishing a 6wt is too heavy for trout, I rarely use more than a 4 weight anymore.

Bass generally are 7 weight or more so it is hard to get a rod for both, you can just use smaller flies when bass fishing.

IMO, a 6wt is a big compromise here. At least for my style of fishing. I have a 6wt G. Loomis GL3 and I only use it when streamer fishing for sea-run cutthroat or smallmouth. Neither requires me to turn over anything real big and the lack of cover keeps me from losing anything.

Otherwise, a 3wt for dries and an 8wt for salmon in the estuaries.

No one needs premium anything.

But a good meal is nice, so is good whiskey and beer.

I sure like my good boots and jackets.

Do you really expect us to believe that you only own the cheapest option of everything?

S.Clancy

WKR
No one needs premium anything.

But a good meal is nice, so is good whiskey and beer.

I sure like my good boots and jackets.

Do you really expect us to believe that you only own the cheapest option of everything?
I dont. What I am saying is this.

1. Skills matter more than gear quality, about 10,000:1

2. There is a certain price at which dimishing returns of products are untenable, to me.
For fly rods this is 2-300$. Anything beyond that is just to tell people you have a 800$ or whatever rod.

For the OPs situation, with 500$ you could get a rod/reel at least and never need anything better. It just boils down to whether you want to tell people all about your great gear or actually get out and use the gear for its intended purpose.

I dont. What I am saying is this.

1. Skills matter more than gear quality, about 10,000:1

2. There is a certain price at which dimishing returns of products are untenable, to me.
For fly rods this is 2-300$. Anything beyond that is just to tell people you have a 800$ or whatever rod.

For the OPs situation, with 500$ you could get a rod/reel at least and never need anything better. It just boils down to whether you want to tell people all about your great gear or actually get out and use the gear for its intended purpose.
There’s a point where the name is a bigger factor in price than quality.

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
I have been very impressed with the echo ion rods. Pair one with a sierra trading post lamson reel and a good scientific angler line, and you should have a pretty solid set up. Another rod that has really impressed me is the TFO Tircx 5wt no fighting but loaded with a 6wt line.
Good call on the sierra trading post. I picked up a lamson for 70 bucks. Might get another one or two at that price.

just.mark

FNG
The echo carbon is $179 and performs well. Echo also has a killer warranty. I am going to go against the grain and say that a 9ft 5WT is your best compromise, you can throw small and medium streamers but also enjoy good dry fly performance. I started out out at do it all 5wt and now own a 4,5,6,8 WT rods. I still use the 5wt for lake fishing of trout and bass.

SMOKYMTN

WKR
I have always loved both sage and redington but they both recently changed their rod repair policies. Sage is now 250$ a section for discontinued rods. I have a sage approach I payed 350$ for- If I were to break all the sections it would cost me $1000. Redington is now 250$ for a discontinued rod, about twice what I payed for my classic trout.
Those Classic Trout rods are some of the best budget rods available. Picked one up about 8yrs ago for $70 and found myself grabbing for it more than my Scott or Orvis rods.