New Foundland Moose Gear List

JES

FNG
I am going with an outfitter and staying in a remote camp with small cabins. I am trying to land my gear list and was hoping to get some input from those that have been up there already.

So far this is what I have:

Rain Gear
2 sets camo
Lightweight merino base layer
Medium wegiht merino base layer
Beanie
Ball cap
Gloves
GPS
1st Aid Kit
Rubber boots
4 pair socks
Camp shoes
Sleeping bag
Air pillow
Scent free soap
Scent Free spray
Knives
Game bags
Toilet Paper
Binos
Rangefinder

ANything else I may be missing?

Need to keep it under 50 pounds as we are taking helicopter into camp.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Newfoundland my good man!

Your list looks pretty solid, maybe ditch the first aid kit, (you'll be with guides and they will have one) and the second set of Camo, who cares what you smell like your in camp. I'd have a change of clothes to get out of them at night though for comfort.

Rain boots to me, tough one, hate them personally, but they can be useful depending on the terrain you'll be in. Being moose country you'll be in wet areas so might be a good idea. Just be smart with your steps, I'd wear ankle braces in them personally.
I've had countless people break/sprain ankles in the woods hunting and slipped on a rock.

All my years spent in Newfoundland you'll be hard pressed not to find a moose, they are everywhere, enjoy! Really miss the George Street festival in St. John's, also you should get screeched in by the guides.

Fun fact, the moose are not native to the island, they were introduced from New Brunswick and I think it was Nova Scotia about 120yrs ago. Think it was 7 originally?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

I've been there twice. Brought 2 pairs of rubber boots with me both times and was glad I did. Wore one pair on flight in and packed the 2nd pair. You'll do a lot of walking so nice to be able to switch off and let one pair dry out. Make sure they have good ankle support. Walking through the tuckamore can be a bitch.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
Bring a small foam pad to sit on while glassing. Not much weight.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I've been there twice. Brought 2 pairs of rubber boots with me both times and was glad I did. Wore one pair on flight in and packed the 2nd pair. You'll do a lot of walking so nice to be able to switch off and let one pair dry out. Make sure they have good ankle support. Walking through the tuckamore can be a bitch.
Is there such thing as a rubber boot with good ankle support? Ive been trying to find 2 pairs for my Newfoundland trip and none of them fit like a good elk boot. If i get a size tight enough to reduce ankle or heel slippage then the toes are tight. I do some 3 to 4 mile walks around home and survive but my feet are never happy. Rubber sucks.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Is there such thing as a rubber boot with good ankle support? Ive been trying to find 2 pairs for my Newfoundland trip and none of them fit like a good elk boot. If i get a size tight enough to reduce ankle or heel slippage then the toes are tight. I do some 3 to 4 mile walks around home and survive but my feet are never happy. Rubber sucks.

Just wear an ankle brace in them buy it separately. And yes rubber boots suck. Avoid muck boots(boots with neoprene uppers) like the plague, the calves are super tight and they don't allow air/moisture out of the top, so your feet get soaked and hot. Depends on your leg size I suppose, me they are skin tight .

Last edited:

PA Hunter

WKR
I go every other year up there for moose I’m sure they provided you a gear list. Ditch the first aid kit. Make sure you have really good rain gear best you can afford, also good layering clothes that fit under your rain gear. Below knee good rubber boots also ones that are comfy to walk in. Maybe some mole skin. Take a replaceable blade knife their hide ruins blades in seconds if your not careful.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Apparently July 21

CTV News: Businesses, U.S. legislators fume as Canada extends travel ban; Trudeau stands firm.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah. Ive heard the tuckamore shreds the neoprene also.
Also in colder weather the rubber bottom cracks/breaks. I've worn them .for years and stopped buying them and switch to Dunlop's or Baffins.

I live and hunt here in Newfoundland for moose and black bear, old saying here , if you don't like the weather wait an hour it will change, rain and fog are the norm , and lots of wind ,and with our humid weather it can be bone chilling. I find gortex to sweat too much, I like wool and fleece clothing. usually wear light weight rubber rain cloths. helly hanson. if its wet , rubber boots are the best if you can get a pair you like. i use the
nokia finnjagd , most comfortable rubber boot i have found. i use ll bean, maine hunting shoe , 10 inch gortex if its not too wet . with the bogs , hills and tucamore , getting around can be tough on you. a good pair of bino's will serve you well. While this is not called a mountain hunt , the rugged terrain and bogs can take a toll on you . our moose can glide around here like there floating over the terrain , not as fast as a whitetail , but can get away from you in a hurry, they will surprise you.
Newfie

Robnewf

FNG
I live and hunt here in Newfoundland for moose and black bear, old saying here , if you don't like the weather wait an hour it will change, rain and fog are the norm , and lots of wind ,and with our humid weather it can be bone chilling. I find gortex to sweat too much, I like wool and fleece clothing. usually wear light weight rubber rain cloths. helly hanson. if its wet , rubber boots are the best if you can get a pair you like. i use the
nokia finnjagd , most comfortable rubber boot i have found. i use ll bean, maine hunting shoe , 10 inch gortex if its not too wet . with the bogs , hills and tucamore , getting around can be tough on you. a good pair of bino's will serve you well. While this is not called a mountain hunt , the rugged terrain and bogs can take a toll on you . our moose can glide around here like there floating over the terrain , not as fast as a whitetail , but can get away from you in a hurry, they will surprise you.
Newfie
Also born and raised in Newfoundland. Do a lot of backpack hunting alone. The Maine hunting boots coupled with a sealskinz waterproof sock is the best boot for hiking here. Everyone wears rubber boots but rubber boots are not made for hiking. I've tried everything there is. Be prepared to feel it in the knees and hips as everything here involves high stepping. Even flat walking due to the boggy terrain. I also work as a guide on the northern peninsula

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Also born and raised in Newfoundland. Do a lot of backpack hunting alone. The Maine hunting boots coupled with a sealskinz waterproof sock is the best boot for hiking here. Everyone wears rubber boots but rubber boots are not made for hiking. I've tried everything there is. Be prepared to feel it in the knees and hips as everything here involves high stepping. Even flat walking due to the boggy terrain. I also work as a guide on the northern peninsula
Which model of Maine boot? This is an interesting combination.

bmrfish

WKR
Day pack
Toothbrush
Camera/phone
Weapon
More socks
Underwear
Warm coat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk