New Griff pup

We picked up our first Griff from Coppershot Kennels in NW Iowa on 8/11. He was 7 weeks at the time and is now 4 months. He has amazing natural instincts and crazy prey drive. Training is night and day from my Golden Retriever though. These dogs thrive under positive reinforcement only and negative training techniques will fail with this breed.

Our breeder has raised them for 50 years and is finally retiring. He said to kill them with kindness and alwasy carry a bag of treats, even with the adult dogs. That's not to say you can't use e-collars for stimulation, but in general positive reinforcement and treating will deliver for most folks with Griffs.

Attachments

• Oscar 4 months pheasant.jpg
    Oscar 4 months pheasant.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Oscar 7 weeks pheasant.jpg
    Oscar 7 weeks pheasant.jpg
    630.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Oscar 7 weeks.jpg
    Oscar 7 weeks.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 66

greenomics

Lil-Rokslider
We picked up our first Griff from Coppershot Kennels in NW Iowa on 8/11. He was 7 weeks at the time and is now 4 months. He has amazing natural instincts and crazy prey drive. Training is night and day from my Golden Retriever though. These dogs thrive under positive reinforcement only and negative training techniques will fail with this breed.

Our breeder has raised them for 50 years and is finally retiring. He said to kill them with kindness and alwasy carry a bag of treats, even with the adult dogs. That's not to say you can't use e-collars for stimulation, but in general positive reinforcement and treating will deliver for most folks with Griffs.
My friend just got a male from Coppershot in September. Good looking pups.

Griffs are a bit on the 'sensitive' side when it comes to training and handling.

OP
Rusty85

Rusty85

WKR
Well, five years after losing our beloved male and female griffs to old age I re-took the plunge.
I know how special these dogs are, really excited to have another griff hanging around the ranch.

This boy's outta the Idaho Falls area. I'll get him in a week or two....

View attachment 384937
Looks like a winner.
Canyon is getting huge 72 pounds at 9 1/2 months now. CEF9E84E-CA3D-4A7C-A1EC-D879C0390DC4.jpeg

My son with Agnes and her daughter Ethel. Ethel just turned 2, and Agnes is 7 1/2. I couldn't imagine our life without these dogs. They are 4x4 beasts whether it's in the mountains, on the boat, or in the duck marsh. If any of you are looking for training aids, there is a new book out by George Decosta titled Tips and Tales: On Training your Bird Dog. I highly recommend it for training methods that work great on Griffs. Most of these dogs have a soft temperament, so this book outlines appropriate techniques from the puppy state to a finished dog.

Attachments

• Butte dogs.jpg
    Butte dogs.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 57
We're getting a griffon to join the club. He'll be for our youngest son who is the more adventurous of the two boys. My oldest hunts with me, but is dabbling. The youngest can't wait to go in the next couple of years.

Anyway, is anyone familiar with the Southern ID breeders? Snake River Griffons, Clear Valley Griffons, Double R? Others we should look at?

We're thinking a female for a bit smaller in size. Actually will likely end up with 2, but not at the same time.

MT257

WKR
We're getting a griffon to join the club. He'll be for our youngest son who is the more adventurous of the two boys. My oldest hunts with me, but is dabbling. The youngest can't wait to go in the next couple of years.

Anyway, is anyone familiar with the Southern ID breeders? Snake River Griffons, Clear Valley Griffons, Double R? Others we should look at?

We're thinking a female for a bit smaller in size. Actually will likely end up with 2, but not at the same time.
We have a clear valley pup.

2ski

WKR
I haven't heard of them. Maybe snake river. There's 2 breeders that I've heard of in Idaho though don't remember the names. The one breeder had 2 prize 1NA dogs I watched run.

2ski

WKR

The only one that shows pedigrees is Snake River. I only recognize a couple kennels in those pedigrees.

Ask for pedigrees and type of coat when you contact them. What they are breeding for.

The only one that shows pedigrees is Snake River. I only recognize a couple kennels in those pedigrees.

Ask for pedigrees and type of coat when you contact them. What they are breeding for.

What are the different types of coats other than length and color pattern I assume?