New Griff pup

If you're on FB, the Griffology page is a very good one for information on the breed and comments from proud owners.

Our Griff just turned 10 months and his coat is on the flatter side right now. Some are more shaggy looking. Oscar is mostly tick colored with some large liver spots. His bushy face is sort of the classic brown with lighter highlights.

If you're on FB, the Griffology page is a very good one for information on the breed and comments from proud owners.

Our Griff just turned 10 months and his coat is on the flatter side right now. Some are more shaggy looking. Oscar is mostly tick colored with some large liver spots. His bushy face is sort of the classic brown with lighter highlights.

Thanks. I requested to join yesterday and thank you for the coat info. I do like the muppet moppy look a bit, but we'll see what we end up with.

2ski

WKR
What are the different types of coats other than length and color pattern I assume?
I don't care so much about color. My dog is whiter than most. Coats can be harsh, medium harsh, soft. And then levels of dense also. So where as it was just mentioned that the above guy has a flat coated dog, you'd actually call that tight. So I want a tight, medium harsh to harsh dog amd dense coat. If you look at the dog's of all three kennels you listed most dog's have a mop on their head. Some in the third don't have as much. Kind of the shaggy dog look. You'll see many griffs look like that. I don't want that. My dog has a beard. That's it. You have to look harder to find that. Also he's not AKC registered. I'm not showing him. He's NAVDA registered only. I noticed all the people you listed were offering limited registration so you can't breed your dog. While I can see that point, they're doing it because of that akc registration. They can. Honestly I'd ask if they were showing their dog's too. In my experience people giving limited registration are showing dog's.

If you are looking for a hunting dog, don't buy a dog from anyone that doesn't want to spend time on the phone getting to know you. And expect a waiting list. I was 4th on a list in early December for a February litter. There was a litter in MT born 3 weeks ago that was claimed before the dog's were born. So my first step would be to call each one of those 3 kennels and interview them even if they don't interview you. PM me with any specific questions you have about what you learned or any questions about what you see in those 3 kennels.

We got Oscar from Coppershot Griffons out of NW Iowa. They ship to all 50 states and internationally and have bred dogs focused on hunting only for 50 years. The former owner, Cliff Koele, sold the business last fall but remains very involved in the kennel. I spoke to Cliff a couple times on the phone for over an hour before we made the 3 hour trip to his home to pick out our puppy 6 months later. When we got there he had a couple picked out based on what I was looking for in my next bird dog. After my family spent more than 2 hours playing with all the puppies, we finally decided which pup we were taking home. It was an incredible experience, and we will likely use Coppershot for our next pup in a few years.

Coppershot Griffons

The prices are very competitive and the blood lines are fantastic. Most importantly, when you buy one of their dogs, it becomes YOUR dog. No contracts, convenants, or any of the other BS that goes along with it. They only ask that you keep the kennel name for registration purposes so they can keep track of the pairings, traits, and pedigrees. You can name the dog whatever you want for the home. Finally, they are a big NAVHDA kennel.

*Edit- Oscar's mother is Jenta from the Coppershot page. The sire of his litter was Flatbrooks Walker, and his family has since moved to CA I believe due to the owner's illness and treatment.

Jenta

Last edited:

WPFY543

FNG
@silverbullet555

My griff is from Snake River and I have nothing but great things to say about him. He is a great family dog first and a hunter second. I won't speak positively or negatively about his hunt ability because I rehomed him and we got a late start to formal training. However, he has met my training/hunting needs and are having an absolute blast together. I know that Snake River hunts their dogs and they perform well.

My wife loves him more than me and at 4 years old he is fantastic in the house and with nieces and nephews crawling all over him. He is 100% the perfect dog. He is a medium coat with a pretty tight face which was my preference. We keep him pretty shaggy but he isn't the muppet that seems to be more popular. We are planning to get another Snake River wpg in the next year or two.

2ski

WKR
We got Oscar from Coppershot Griffons out of NW Iowa. They ship to all 50 states and internationally and have bred dogs focused on hunting only for 50 years. The former owner, Cliff Koele, sold the business last fall but remains very involved in the kennel. I spoke to Cliff a couple times on the phone for over an hour before we made the 3 hour trip to his home to pick out our puppy 6 months later. When we got there he had a couple picked out based on what I was looking for in my next bird dog. After my family spent more than 2 hours playing with all the puppies, we finally decided which pup we were taking home. It was an incredible experience, and we will likely use Coppershot for our next pup in a few years.

Coppershot Griffons

The prices are very competitive and the blood lines are fantastic. Most importantly, when you buy one of their dogs, it becomes YOUR dog. No contracts, convenants, or any of the other BS that goes along with it. They only ask that you keep the kennel name for registration purposes so they can keep track of the pairings, traits, and pedigrees. You can name the dog whatever you want for the home. Finally, they are a big NAVHDA kennel.

*Edit- Oscar's mother is Jenta from the Coppershot page. The sire of his litter was Flatbrooks Walker, and his family has since moved to CA I believe due to the owner's illness and treatment.

Jenta
Jenta has a good pedigree. She shares some lineage with my dog.

Coppershot Griffons

Jenta

What's their price range?

I gave $2k for Oscar. I've seen them go for double that without any significant differentiating characteristics.

I haven't looked since we got him last year, and since the business changed hands though, so you'd want to give them a call.

2ski

WKR
I gave $2k for Oscar. I've seen them go for double that without any significant differentiating characteristics.

I haven't looked since we got him last year, and since the business changed hands though, so you'd want to give them a call.
If anyone pays 4k for a griff they are fools. THE kennel in the states to buy a griff from is only 2,200.

If anyone pays 4k for a griff they are fools. THE kennel in the states to buy a griff from is only 2,200.

I am willing to bet that kennel is in Wisconsin.

Coming from someone with a mop top Griff, I will not be doing that again. I hope to be in Wisconsin picking up a pup next year around this time. I am on your breeders list and kennel right up the road from them. Either way I know the planned pairings and they will have dense, harsh coats and be hunting machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2ski

WKR
I am willing to bet that kennel is in Wisconsin.

Coming from someone with a mop top Griff, I will not be doing that again. I hope to be in Wisconsin picking up a pup next year around this time. I am on your breeders list and kennel right up the road from them. Either way I know the planned pairings and they will have dense, harsh coats and be hunting machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're going to be happy. And yes. You know who I'm talking about. Half of my dog's line is from that Kennel. I drove out to Wisconsin this time last year. Super super happy with what I have. My brother's dog is full from that kennel. Both awesome dogs. My dog has a nose that picks up pigeons 4 times out further than ALL the other dogs.

2ski

WKR
Outta curiosity wha kennel is THEE kennel in the states?
It's in Wisconsin. There's actually several WI breeders coming out with great dogs. I put my name on a list 6 months out and I was #21 on his list. It's in the pedigree of one of the dogs at Snake River.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
Hopeful to get a pup from the “Wisconsin” kennel I’m assuming your guys are referring to. My drive will be a lot shorter though