New gun ideas

With my son getting older and into hunting more. I've been thinking about adding another long gun to the safe. I'm not a big shooter or a big gun collector. I usually try only to keep what I like to use. I love my m70's the 270 is my go to deer gun and my 300 win is my elk gun. Both are stainless. Getting older and part of me says get a lighter weight gun for the mountains and part of me says get a classic looking gun for the heritage. My son says get the French walnut super grade. My question is how many of you still take put those pretty guns to hunt with still. It seem like everyone is hunting with a stainless steel, carbon wrapped gun today.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I also have an older model 70 in .270 but I don't hunt with it. It needs a new barrel and I just can't justify the cost or perhaps messing with a classic, so yea, I hunt with carbon and stainless. My shotgun is also a new synthetic camo. I don't take out the wood and blued steel much.

Zappaman

WKR
"Safe Queens" sure are purdy ;)

I have a FEW I can't let go of and I've mostly gone to stainless and plastic myself. The cheaper the gun (it seems) the more I use it (*and damn... are my cheap plastic stocked, stainless Savage rifles ALL tack drivers!). Pig hunting in Texas or any thick country hunts? - my gun is the bushwacker and it gets scratched up good. Same with duck hunting the marshes- it's going to get wet.

It's a real quandary when you can afford a beauty queen gun, but know you'll have a hard time taking out on those bad weather days. But I hope you at least take them out to the range on nice days and shoot them some (justicication for the french babe here). Good luck on the decision.

Rich M

WKR
I buy stainless when the option is there.

I do love a blued & wood gun but they rust at the worst times - had a very low mileage BLR in a safe, condensate and pit. That sucked.

Zappaman

WKR
Two worst enemies of the gun.. rust (and politicians) ;)

I'm still anal about "lubing up" ALL guns between seasons- especially the oil patch down the bore when storing more than a few months. I douse my shotguns right after hunts (making a mess I THEN have to clean up soon afterward). My safe has oil stains in the bottom I'm sure.

I also found out stainless can rust (from a buddy's rifle I re-barreled), I was kinda' "TWF" on that one. But he admitted to not cleaning it- ever (uh... because it's stainless?)

WCB

WKR
Guns are made to use...just like cars. I have never got the guys that buy a "pretty" gun and brag about it but they have never taken anything with it. I have some blued wood guns but they get used. Have scratches and nicks, finished is coming off some of the stocks, and bluing is rubbed and even some very light rust. Tells A LOT better story than "look at that pretty gun that I spent good money on but hasn't even seen a box of ammunition"

danrippa

FNG
Yeah I go back and forth but I like the new car thought. Guns are better now than 30 years ago for sure

With my son getting older and into hunting more. I've been thinking about adding another long gun to the safe. I'm not a big shooter or a big gun collector. I usually try only to keep what I like to use. I love my m70's the 270 is my go to deer gun and my 300 win is my elk gun. Both are stainless. Getting older and part of me says get a lighter weight gun for the mountains and part of me says get a classic looking gun for the heritage. My son says get the French walnut super grade. My question is how many of you still take put those pretty guns to hunt with still. It seem like everyone is hunting with a stainless steel, carbon wrapped gun today.
Not me. I have a few safe queens but they are guns handed down from family, otherwise I wouldn't even have those. For trips to the mountains, I want my stainless/synthetic and most of all lightweight rifles.