New guy from Michigan

Hey guys I’m Cody a mid Michigan native. We may not have the kind of hunting the majority of the members here are used to, but we do have some interesting hunting. My main reason for joining is to prepare for a North Manitou Island deer hunt. It’s a large uninhabited island in Lake Michigan. One week each year the national park service allows a deer hunt to Control the population. It’s a weeklong backcountry hunt and as close as we’ll get to hunting out west. I’ve done a bit of camping in scouts but nothing extreme. I’m hoping to get some information on tents, packs, backpacking in general, and field preservation of meat. Looking forward to contributing here.

Fowler530

WKR
Welcome to Rokslide Cody!! Lots of great information and experience to help you out with around here!🤙

Hey guys I’m Cody a mid Michigan native. We may not have the kind of hunting the majority of the members here are used to, but we do have some interesting hunting. My main reason for joining is to prepare for a North Manitou Island deer hunt. It’s a large uninhabited island in Lake Michigan. One week each year the national park service allows a deer hunt to Control the population. It’s a weeklong backcountry hunt and as close as we’ll get to hunting out west. I’ve done a bit of camping in scouts but nothing extreme. I’m hoping to get some information on tents, packs, backpacking in general, and field preservation of meat. Looking forward to contributing here.
Hi there. I’m in the same boat as you are. Did you end up going there this by year? I’m planning on it next year (2021). I’d like to learn more about the place if possible like gear recommended and stuff like that. Anyways, if I have questions this upcoming year I was hoping to bump them off of you to see if you have any info on that. Anyways. Good luck with the rest of late deer season.

Welcome from Stanton Michigan, I've done the north Manitou island hunt in the past, it's a good time and relatively inexpensive.

Kjackgold

FNG
Welcome. Are you planning to pack up camp and moving each day or are you planning to set up a basecamp then hunt and return to camp each night. That and do you have the ability to get a quad or vehicle to where you are going to camp or are you hiking in a long way before setting camp. This will make a big difference in the type of gear you are going to be able to take with you.

No vehicles allowed on the island, not even bicycles, only the rangers have use of wheeled vehicles on the island
Only thing you can take is a deer cart.

OP
Mimachinist
Trucklessyooper no I didn’t end up going this year. There are a few member that went this year. It was a different year with no ferry service but apparently 135ish hunters took part this year. So far one tip I’ve heard is that there’s barns and whatnot that you can stash heavier gear like a cooler and such in. My plan is to go lightweight as it’ll most likely be just me. I’ll have a SO silex with a small stove, a borla bivy, and will be going very lightweight for food also. I don’t like the idea of dragging a deer out even with a cart so I’ll probably quarter it out in the field. I’ve also heard that ticks can be hit or miss so treat your clothes with permethrin. You’ll also need to purify your own water. Fires are only allowed at certain campsites and only in fire pits already there, I’m pretty sure they allow hot tent style stoves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott7030

FNG
Cody, Welcome, I've looked into that hunt a little as well. definitely sounds like a good time.

Trucklessyooper no I didn’t end up going this year. There are a few member that went this year. It was a different year with no ferry service but apparently 135ish hunters took part this year. So far one tip I’ve heard is that there’s barns and whatnot that you can stash heavier gear like a cooler and such in. My plan is to go lightweight as it’ll most likely be just me. I’ll have a SO silex with a small stove, a borla bivy, and will be going very lightweight for food also. I don’t like the idea of dragging a deer out even with a cart so I’ll probably quarter it out in the field. I’ve also heard that ticks can be hit or miss so treat your clothes with permethrin. You’ll also need to purify your own water. Fires are only allowed at certain campsites and only in fire pits already there, I’m pretty sure they allow hot tent style stoves.

Thanks for the tips, have you used your silex yet? I am weighing the options to purchase a hot tent or go without for the trip. Also, do you have plans for how your getting out there yet? I’ve spoken with manitoubisland charters, they didn’t know yet of the ferry will be active but I’m going in a group of three, we are considering not using the ferry. Sounds like we are in the interests, going in light and being flexible.

OP
Mimachinist
No I haven’t used the silex yet. I was holding out for their blem sale but no dice. I forgot about their 4-6 week lead time so I’m considering going through gohunt. The most I’ve seen complaint wise is that the chimney is close to the tent if it isn’t angled properly. I don’t have any concrete plans on getting there yet. I checked the ferry website today hoping to get out on the island this summertime check it out. Hopefully there’s service this year as I’m fairly certain my pheasant trip isn’t happening.

spudgunr

FNG
Also a michigan person here. Saw enough in the FNG threads I didnt figure we needed another, so just hopped on here. I dont necessarily plan on doing a lot of the extreme hunting; I am more here for the seek outside community that seems to be gathered here. But who knows, know that I have a hot tent then hiking into the middle of nowhere and setting up camp for a week would make hunting a lot more enjoyable. Thats to be determined though!

skyguy

FNG
New guy from Michigan here also. North Manitou hunt is on the list, not sure ill be able to swing it with work this year but maybe 2022. I backpacked there in the summer back in 2018, its a cool place.

Welcome man im near sag bay fellow michigander , the wealth of knowledge here is unbeleivable great group we have, good luck on your hunt went out to co last fall and stayed on the mountain for two weeks so ive got a decent grasp on what it takes for equipment and stuff any particular questions feel free to pm.me good luck on your hunt!

OP
Mimachinist
Thanks for the welcome. I’m pretty set on the basics like tent, bag, bivy, pad, backpack, and stove. If there’s anything you take with you that most people don’t think about I’m all ears.

Thanks for the welcome. I’m pretty set on the basics like tent, bag, bivy, pad, backpack, and stove. If there’s anything you take with you that most people don’t think about I’m all ears.

Water is a big one, very important i carried a life straw and a sawyer gravity filter that would take the two dirty water bags and drain them clean into my bladder theres an adapter