New guy from NH / SC

Hey folks! This forum has been very valuable to me and I’ve finally decided to join.

Grew up hunting the north woods of New Hampshire and Maine and have recently moved to S. Carolina. Love to hunt eastern white tails/bears/hogs out of a backpack. Just finished graduate school. Have western aspirations.

Brendan

WKR
Welcome aboard.

Live in Mass, work in NH. Love NH, have my guide license there, but there are times I want to put everything in the truck, head west, and not stop until I hit Wyoming.

Never spent any time in the mountains of SC or NC, on my list as well as a trip to the coast for some fishing.

OP
stumpknocker
Shouldn't have any problems finding deer or hogs in that area but all bear hunting in those GZ is private land only IIRC...look to NC to hunt bears. Welcome!

Thanks! Actually I’ve found plenty of SC public bear opportunity. I’m only ~40 min from Jocassee Gorges and the national forest (Game Zone 1). Even some designated wilderness around. But you’re right about Game Zone 2 where I live, no public bear hunting.

OP
stumpknocker
Welcome aboard.

Live in Mass, work in NH. Love NH, have my guide license there, but there are times I want to put everything in the truck, head west, and not stop until I hit Wyoming.

Never spent any time in the mountains of SC or NC, on my list as well as a trip to the coast for some fishing.

Thanks for the welcoming Brendan.

We are in the same boat. Love NH, and never would have envisioned coming to SC but found a good opportunity for grad school. I miss the big woods, big bucks, low pressure NH deer hunting, oh and the striper fishing, too. Applied for Wyo cow elk tags this year with a friend but did not draw.

Deer are smaller down here but more plentiful. I think you can shoot 11 deer, 2 a day?? I hunt in the mountains of SC where in a single day the trail cam can pick up a deer, a grouse, a bear, and wild hogs. Have killed 2 deer and a hog in 2 yrs of hunting the mountains with many more close calls. I‘ve been down to the coast and fishing is incredible...

tntrker

WKR
Thanks! Actually I’ve found plenty of SC public bear opportunity. I’m only ~40 min from Jocassee Gorges and the national forest (Game Zone 1). Even some designated wilderness around. But you’re right about Game Zone 2 where I live, no public bear hunting.

I'm in Seneca. like you said, there's plenty of public land in GZ1 for bear. I go back home to Tennessee for opening week of muzzle loader there, hunt Fants and down towards Greenwood, Elk hunted once in Montana, Planned Moose in NL for 21, elk in Montana again in 22, elk in Wyoming in 24. Welcome aboard, lots of good info here.

OP
stumpknocker
tntrker-

That's quite the itinerary you've got there.

My gf and I just moved to Seneca from Clemson. Small world. I've bowhunted Fants last 2 yrs in the evenings when I don't have much time, otherwise like to stomp around the gorges with a pack frame. Plan on taking our ~1 wk bear season seriously this year, will be looking for tips and tricks on that especially.

Yeah I knew it was something like that. I think 19 was the 1st yr for a bear season in SC. I have been hunting the NC coast on and off since 04. Season is 4x longer. Plus you can't get fresh oysters in SC during bear season. Good Luck!