New Guy from North Idaho (Like everyone else!)

14idaho

FNG
Hello all, I moved to some land North of Sandpoint ID last year with my wife and three small children. Been lurking here for a while, and want to get into hunting with my son as he is finally getting old enough for the rougher back country. He is 10 years old.

Now I know this is a touchy subject to locals in the area because of the insane growth here in Idaho, which I understand, but I promise we won't be a pain in the ass, and are good people.

My work is electrical and electronics on ships, usually overseas, and my wife is an RN, but the last couple years she has been home full time to teach the kids and take care of the homestead while I'm gone. She is a good woman and we are raising our kids much like we were raised. We don't have internet and no video games, etc, so all of their free time is spent outside. They like to play outside, kayak, camp, and we ride dirt bikes as a family.

I am originally from a small town in Alabama and I have been an outdoorsman my entire life; as my Dad was a Game Warden for 25 years, he was also an avid hunter, fisherman, and taxidermist. We lived in rural Westcliffe CO for the last 4 years, but wanted to go somewhere where it is easier for my wife to garden and have our animals (our home in CO was at 9,400') We also like the Libertarian spirit of Idaho whereas Colorado has been trending more and more toward Boulder ideals.
Idaho was always the dream, and we got in just before Covid made prices NUTS.

Hunted a bit in Colorado but my work schedule of being gone for many weeks at a time would more often than not see me missing entire hunting seasons, so I have yet to bag the elk I have always dreamed of. Now that I am here in N. Idaho, I also would love to pursue black bear and wolf, and not get eaten by a Grizzly bear, which my wife is convinced is inevitable if I take the children up in the backwoods. lol

We also have pack goats; I sold all my grown ones when we moved but am working with a couple year old boys right now that are showing great promise.

Anyway, I'm just happy to be here and I feel incredibly fortunate to get to raise my children in Idaho. I look forward to gathering more knowledge in the forum.

View attachment 314103
Welcome to N.Idaho. Lived in N.Idaho and spend a lot of time there. Moving back in January and would like to meet you. I previously owned an outfitting business in Idaho and know some good places to hunt.

OP
Bama67

Bama67

FNG
Welcome to Idaho. My son lives on Colburn Culver Rd north of Sandpoint. I lived in Sandpoint and owned a hunting outfitting business. I'm returning to Idaho in a few months and can't wait. Have several buddies that guided for me that live in the area and it will be nice to hunt with them again. Enjoy the country but be wise in doing so. I spent 12 yrs. in the back country, probably 6 months every year and saw grizzlies and wolves but never had issues.
I live just off Colburn Culver, small world!
Greetings I’m in the panhandle also and have packgoats which I pack every year with and hunt with them. I’ve been packing for 8 years now. Maybe will meet? And exchange goat stories…
I ended up selling my goats to a buddy of mine. He really wanted them, and I am so busy with work and building my house (myself), that I just couldn't get out with them like I should, so it was better for all of us.