New Guy From Oregon

Hello,

Wanted to introduce myself as i've been lurking around this site for a while reading and trying to learn from guys/gals here.

Im from the Central Willamette Valley in Oregon, and I currently live in Corvallis. Im a Senior attending OSU in the construction engineering management program.

I was really excited when I was referred to this site via Ifish, because this site is exactly what I was looking for. Im very excited about the extensive wealth of knowledge and help there is on this site about backcountry hunting.

I have been rifle hunting since I was young, in the last few years I've been blessed enough to kill a spike bull elk, a 4x6 bull elk and 2 blacktail bucks (one forky and one 4x4). Ive also been alongside a few of my uncles for some awesome Elk hunts/kills.

The reason I came to this site is because in the last two years, I decided that I wanted to put a lot more effort into hunting deer. I realized that there was a good tag I could get nearby (Fairly Easy Draw) that offered a lot of backcountry hunting, which is something ive always really wanted to do.

I spent one season hiking into a wilderness area solo just doing day hunts, trying to scout the area and gain some much needed experience. This last season(2013) I was fortunate enough to be asked to hunt with a guy that I work with who had been hunting the same area for years. I learned a ton from him this year, and was really excited going into the season. After a few day hunts with nothing except buck sightings at long distances and stalks that didnt turn up deer, we connected on a pack of 4 bachelor bucks. We shot both of the larger bucks in the group, two 4x4s.

After quartering the deer and each carrying out our own buck, I decided it was time for some serious equipment upgrade. The cheap internal frame Cabelas pack I had did not handle the 103lb load well at all. We had a 5 mile hike back to the pickup and every step from about .5 miles and on hurt.

During this trip i realized not only did i have way too much stuff for a day hunt (~35lbs), I also did not have an ample setup for staying overnight in the wilderness if i needed to. I am fortunate that i found this site with a bunch of great information on backcountry hunting so I can get the right gear, the first time.

Flash Forward to today- I have been making gear upgrades since season, here is a short list of my main setup.

Boots- Lowa w/ Darntough over the calf socks
Pack- Ordering new SG Sky 7400
Gun- Tikka T3 hunter .270, leupold vx3 3.5-10 (7.5ish lbs)
Sleeping system- Had a employee store pass to Mountain Hardware, Skyledge 2 Dp tent(4lbs), older slumberjack everest elite sleeping bag, alps mountaineering inflatable ultralight sleeping pad
Binoculars- Nikon Monarch
Spotting scope- Vortex Viper 15-45x60 w/ high country tripod
Clothing system- Needs some work....Ive got heavy scentlok pants and Offbrand top outerlayer....synthetic baselayer(UA)

My gear definitely needs some upgrades....im in the process of making that happen. I have a spring bear hunt in NE Oregon wilderness area coming this year, trying to get setup for that.

Anyways, Im very excited to be here and thankful that there is a ton of Great Information and People on this site. Looking forward to learning and doing more hunting

Thanks-Gibson

OP
G
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Hunt'nfish- I have read a lot of your posts on IFish, its good to connect with you here. Im curious on your bear hunt, ill PM you.

Thank