New guy from Oregon

Hey all! I’m a long time lurker finally deciding to introduce myself (a story I’m sure you’re familiar with). I’m 26 in Central Oregon, and began teaching myself how to archery hunt at the age of 21, though I spent most of my youth in the woods hunting waterfowl and fishing. I primarily hunt, unsuccessfully, either solo or with my wife. So I’m not much of a resource to you seasoned guys, but this forum has taught me a TON and I’m extremely thankful. However, I have been in the fly fishing industry as a guide and retail guy for years, so I’m happy to answer any questions anyone may have in that realm!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

OP
D
Welcome from the west side!! I've always said I'll learn to fly fish someday, maybe when the kids are grown I'll have enough time??
Thank you! If you love to hunt, you’ll love to fly fish. There’s definitely a time commitment but don’t be afraid to dip your toes in sooner than later! The most time consuming part is learning to cast and control your line, which you can start to do by practicing a few minutes a day in your back yard with yarn on your leader. Learning about bugs is the next big step but you can leave that part to the fly shop guys for the first few years as you learn. Also, lots of people don’t realize it but you can catch just about anything on a fly rod that you can on conventional tackle. I even fish rockfish and lingcod on the coast with a fly rod!

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome, I fished a few days on the Desheutz near Maupin last year. Can't remember, but I do not think I landed one fish in two days up there.

flywilks

FNG
Welcome. I'm also a more experienced fly fisherman who just started hunting a few years ago. Haven't picked up archery yet, competes with fishing in Sept.

Welcome from central OR! If they ever open steelhead on the Deschutes again, maybe I’ll see you out there.