New Guy from the UK

mereside

FNG
Hello everyone I have been lurking here a while now and decided to start posting and interacting, I hunt in the uk and we have six species of deer and wild boar with some wild goats in places. I hunt further afield with the bow as it is not allowed here unfortunately so means I have to go abroad, its nice to see how others hunt in different country's and cultures so always nice to meet others and see how it's done.
I tried a DIY hunt last year in Vermont, I always wanted to see the fall colors and wasn't dissapointed. I got a tag for black bear with my longbow and eventually found one and almost sealed the deal but the wind switched on on me and he slipped away. unfortunately with lockdown here I have not booked anything for this year but looking to return to your side next year to try again for a black bear with my bow.
Until then I will keep on hunting our Roe deer which in a few weeks will be into the rut, heres an older buck I took last week, regards wayne.
87tYzN8.jpg

heading out for sika in the highlands
K7OHfz6.jpg

Training the dog with wild boar
ztjLJX0.jpg

Vermont
QW4UxkX.jpg

OP
mereside

mereside

FNG
Thanks it looks like a good source of info and interaction, Regards wayne

OP
mereside

mereside

FNG
Welcome! It will be really interesting to see our differences in culture and hunting styles!
Yes definitely, in the Uk we stalk deer on private ground non of our ground is public like yours so, I have to gain permission to hunt land or pay for syndicate ground, at home I hunt roe deer on private farms and hunt red deer and sika in the highlands over open hill and forestry grounds.
I am fortunate to hunt throughout Europe from moose, red deer roe deer and wild boar, this is mainly done driven with dogs and beaters who drive deer and boar to a line of guns, although under a full moon we do stalk at night for wild boar without lights just the moonlight for boar foraging in open areas which gets the heart going.
I also work a hound to follow up on any wounded game that happens and this is also done for organised events, so I have seen different hunting methods, I have also hunted Thar and chamois in NZ which was an amazing experience. It is now though my heart is with bowhunting as I feel nothing comes close to taking an animal with my own bow and equipment, hopefully I will find my bear next year,regards wayne.
Roe deer on farmlands
s7OEffL.jpg

Red deer stalking in the highlands
LOA7Pk3.jpg

EgSx7qW.jpg

Btzwd7D.jpg

chamois in NZ DIY hunt
3oZBoNQ.jpg

Tracking in Germany with my hound
NiVpLnP.jpg

Last edited:

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome. I always wanted to hunt in the UK. I was invited last year for a fallow hunt but was unable to make it happen with my schedule. Then there was Brexit that made it very difficult to travel with firearms, now covid and the lockdown.
Good looking pup, mountain hound or bavarian schweisshund?

OP
mereside

mereside

FNG
Hi yes SchweissHund from the Verein Hirschmann 👍, if you do get the chance to come over let me know, there is some nice hunting just a shame it’s not with a bow, regards Wayne

OP
mereside

mereside

FNG
Yes France and Spain is good, where about in Germany are you, I have hunted quite a bit there, I really like your traditions, I think a test scheme went ahead for bowhunting in one area for urban boar?, regards Wayne

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
Currently in the Kaiserslautern area and hunt in both Rheinland Pfalz and Saarland. Both the traditions and respect for the game here are incredible. I have not heard about the bow hunting test in the urban areas.