New guy from Virginia

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Good afternoon everyone,

Longtime lurker here, jumping in and joining the forum.

Background on myself, I've grown up deer hunting since I was old enough to tag along with my dad, and live in the part of Virginia where we have tons of deer, no bag limits, and long seasons (September to April). But, hunting is getting harder and harder as more houses are built.

Besides hunting, I've shot competitively in precision rifle competitions for 5 years now. My main hunting rifle is a stubby .308 I built myself. I also have a 300 RUM that started life as a stock 700 bdl and now sports a custom barrel and new stock among other upgrades. My comp rifle is a custom rifle I built off an ARC Nucleus action with Hawk Hill barrel, and MPA chassis which I enjoy shooting from 100 to out past 1000 yards.

Went on a Moose hunt in Newfoundland 4 years ago, and am booked to go back with the same guide in Fall 2022.

I am in the early stages of planning a guided elk hunt in 2024 or 2025. Elk hunting is totally new to me so, definitely looking to glean any knowledge on choosing the sate and outfitter to hunt. For a first time elk hunt for myself and my buddies (planning on a group of 2 to 4 right now) we'd like a high success rate hunt with a good chance at a respectable animal vs. a pure Trophy hunt.

Look forward to getting to know everyone!

Attachments

• 20201121_140332_copy_2016x1512.jpg
    20201121_140332_copy_2016x1512.jpg
    742.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8176.jpg
    IMG_8176.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 10

prm

WKR
Welcome! Looks like a nice place to shoot!

I do not know the outfitting side, but can help a bit with the elk side as I go DIY. Fellow NoVA hunter here, and from CO. You happen to know of any leases taking new folks where I could rifle hunt in VA?

OP
Novahunter

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Cancel that. Guess I have to have 10 posts. I believe National Sportsman Association hunt club is taking applications for members.