New guy here from Texas, getting ready to hunt Alaska and need your advice

PureShot4

FNG
Hello everyone! I’m a bow hunter from around Dallas Tx. I got invited to go on a black bear hunt in May in Alaska and couldn’t be more excited. I always try my best to buy once cry once so Kifaru it is. I value water resistance for ease of use and piece of mind. I’d like to use this pack for a 5-7 day trip once a year along with various other weekend hunts. Ill be going elk hunting in New Mexico (I hope) next fall as well and have a lifelong goal of completing the grand slam of all the big animals in North America, and beyond.

So the two packs I’m highly considering are the Dall and the Gnargali From Kifaru. I’d get the space lid to make the top more waterproof and add some extra storage. From watching Aron Snyder, elk shape, and various other YouTube guys it would appear to be wise to go bigger in a bag but the dall REALLY looks big, do you think the wisdom holds true and I just need to get the Dall? Or would it be too much wasted space and the Gnargali would be plenty for up to a 7 day hunt? This bear hunt is only 5 days so the Gnargali would be perfect, just trying to plan ahead for future proofing as well. I dont see myself really taking a longer hunt due to not wanting to take that much time off from work, the most i would do is probably a 10 day hunt for sheep or elk or something if i had too. Planning to get the duplex light frame, 2 medium X pac packets and a large as well. I’m not opposed to buying multiple packs over time as well of course, just trying to buy things I wont regret. THe hoodlum seems to be a really recommended bag and falls right in between the two I’m looking at size size. Leaning more towards the Gnargali with all the pockets and lid i feel like it should be enough but I appreciate y’all’s wisdom as I only have research knowledge which doesn’t compare. Thanks in advance!

I'll say this about pack size, once you've used it all up, there will be no more space available, but if you don't use it all, you can easily cinch it down so that you don't even know it's there. If you have top shelf, state-of-the-art backpacking equipment, that compresses small and weighs nothing, you might be able to get by with the Gnargali. The Dall is only $10 more than the Gnargali, weighs only 4 ounces more, but gives you between 1,600 - 2,000 more cubic inches (ci) of space. My first Kifaru pack was a 4800ci bag that lasted me one season and was replaced the next summer by its 7000ci big brother, which I still use today.

Good luck with your pack choices, good luck on your bear hunt and welcome to Rokslide.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome! I agree with the other posters: Its easy to compress a bag down if you have too much. It is harder to add space and maintain balance/fit. I would go with the Dall.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I'd definitely go the bigger route. My limited experience with kifaru was they were pretty liberal in their pack size ratings. Kiraru is definitely a top end pack manufacturer but not at all the only one. Exo, SG, SO, and several others are just as good. Just like boots or rifles one brand may suite or fit you better than another. My first high end pack was Kifaru and after 2 years switched to Seek Outside. I'm sure others have done the exact opposite. Try to find some local folks that have them and try a few on if you can. But most importantly, but luck on your search and upcoming hunts!