New Guy Looking for Tipi/Stove (and other stuff)

Hey there, just joined up so I could get on the classifieds and look for a hot tent setup, but since I gotta do some posting first I figure I'll talk about it, and maybe I'll come away with a better idea of what suits my needs.

I was coming to look for a Kifaru tipi and stove. I've talked to somebody at Kifaru and they say in 6-12 months they should be back to making more intermediate sizes. I had been interested in this before and remembered them having others. The two they currently offer (sawtooth and 8-man) are both nice but something like a 4 or 6-man would maybe be better for me. I've read good things about Seek Outside stuff as well.

My aim is to roadtrip/camp/hunt/fish off my motorcycle with one of these systems. That means weight and pack size aren't as crucial, but still important I think. I have a lot of room for luggage, but smaller is still better, and my GVWR isn't a ton.

For now I have an okay tent but I need to expand my camping gear significantly to go for longer periods of time. Some good padding/insulation to sleep on/in would be great as well but the options get overwhelming. I'm thinking a cot and a pad with a quilt or two. A bag that could double as a quilt would be great. A hammock system would be nice as well someday. A quilt, bag and/or underquilt that could work for either setup would be cool.

If I were to buy new right now, I'd probably go with the Kifaru Sawtooth and medium stove. I don't think anyone does it but using their large stove in there would be nice. Probably overkill for that shelter though. Like I said, I think a 4 or 6-man tipi would be good but we'll see how it goes. I've even wondered how big I'd have to go to roll the bike inside.

Anyhow maybe there are alternatives to what I'm after, or maybe you just have advice for somebody getting started with this stuff. Any input is appreciated.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Have you looked at Seek Outdoors? I had the same question a few months ago and with a lot of good advice, decided the Cimarron Light with stove was the setup for me.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I purchased Sawtooth w/stove off of Rokslide last summer. Deer season it was awesome, literally a palace for one after my buddy left (was plenty of room for 2 and gear) and it was only me. I didn’t have to run a stove though. Elk season, weather changed and we only hunted out of our base camp/wall tent.

My recs
1)on tent, go with bigger end of your size spectrum is you’re only wanting to purchase 1 tent, as long as you’re wanting to accommodate numerous people with one tent.
2) there’s plenty of good pads out there(exped/thermorest/BA) and you’ll find someone has had a wreck with any of them. Go insulated, 4+ R value. Note, if you’re a side sleeper, like me, go thicker. I’ve got a 3.5” BA, I run 85% air in and sleep like a baby.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A
Have you looked at Seek Outdoors? I had the same question a few months ago and with a lot of good advice, decided the Cimarron Light with stove was the setup for me.

Definitely interested in SO. Their stoves and shelters seem to be comparable to the Kifaru stuff but I'm not sure which would suit me better yet.

I purchased Sawtooth w/stove off of Rokslide last summer. Deer season it was awesome, literally a palace for one after my buddy left (was plenty of room for 2 and gear) and it was only me. I didn’t have to run a stove though. Elk season, weather changed and we only hunted out of our base camp/wall tent.

My recs
1)on tent, go with bigger end of your size spectrum is you’re only wanting to purchase 1 tent, as long as you’re wanting to accommodate numerous people with one tent.
2) there’s plenty of good pads out there(exped/thermorest/BA) and you’ll find someone has had a wreck with any of them. Go insulated, 4+ R value. Note, if you’re a side sleeper, like me, go thicker. I’ve got a 3.5” BA, I run 85% air in and sleep like a baby.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey you make a good first point there. I need to go figure out what the pack size of something like a 6 or 8-man is. I guess I could use a compression sack if they don't already come with one. Also means a larger stove would be good so more weight and room taken up there.

I was considering a cot with a built-in pad of some sort but I think I would still need more insulation as I don't believe they're very thick. Extra padding might be good too, not sure. I am a side sleeper so I see what you're saying there.

Kinda tough to say what size will work without seeing how much pack space I'm gonna have. I should probably prioritize which things to get first and maybe I can figure it out from there.

Typically I think you're supposed to get all your supplies together and then figure out what size bag you'll need, so I'm coming at this a little backwards. I have more room than most motorcyclists but I'd like to keep it light at least, and there's still a limit to what I can fit. Right now I'm at about 5.5-6ft³ with room to grow. I want to get good light gear so that I can always downsize when needed and still be fairly well equipped.

Here's a picture of the bike set up with road tires. I've got a front rack and some soft bags on the way to replace the aluminum boxes.

50352910107_ae2709c528_o.jpg

Last edited:
OP
A
Very nice rig!

We are considering a tipi. Lots of money, though.

Yeah it's a lot to commit to buying, really. I joined here so hopefully I might find a decent deal on some used gear but we'll see. I still gotta get my post count up. It'll be awhile before I can get out again but I'm trying to prepare in the meantime.

Which ones are you looking at?

Fatcamp

WKR
We are looking at Liteoutdoors stove and Slumberjack tipi. It would just be for my wife, our dog, and me so a smaller one would be fine. We could carry another tarp for our gear if needed. For about $500 new we could get both.

Our deer hunting unit has a remote area we want to hunt but it is too far for a walk in and out in a day. The idea of heat and drying out is very appealing.

OP
A
We are looking at Liteoutdoors stove and Slumberjack tipi. It would just be for my wife, our dog, and me so a smaller one would be fine. We could carry another tarp for our gear if needed. For about $500 new we could get both.

Our deer hunting unit has a remote area we want to hunt but it is too far for a walk in and out in a day. The idea of heat and drying out is very appealing.

I'm no expert but they both look like fairly good deals. I wonder if the cylinder stoves seal up any better than a box stove. Probably just depends. I need to go see how those cylinders pack up and go together though.

OP
A
Well it's not a tipi at all but I found a deal on a Hennessy with their 4 season insulation and a rainfly and a few other things. It'll do for now but I intend to have a hot tent setup at some point.

Beendare

WKR
Op,
the weight to utility ratio of a Tipi shelter or a Tarp tent cant be beat.

if you go tipi go a little larger as you lose a little bit of useable space on the perimeter.

no need for a big stove in these small shelters, my small Lite Outdoors stove heats my 12’6” dia homemade tipi so hot it will push you out of there.

there are many oufits making the light pyramid type shelters and tipis now,if you search here in this section you will get many options.

OP
A
Op,
the weight to utility ratio of a Tipi shelter or a Tarp tent cant be beat.

if you go tipi go a little larger as you lose a little bit of useable space on the perimeter.

no need for a big stove in these small shelters, my small Lite Outdoors stove heats my 12’6” dia homemade tipi so hot it will push you out of there.

there are many oufits making the light pyramid type shelters and tipis now,if you search here in this section you will get many options.

Thanks for the info. There's more options than I had figured doing this sort of thing. Still not sure which brand I should go with. That goes for stove and shelter. I'll keep researching. It's kind of difficult because of my application but I'll figure it out.

Definitely interested in SO. Their stoves and shelters seem to be comparable to the Kifaru stuff but I'm not sure which would suit me better yet.

Hey you make a good first point there. I need to go figure out what the pack size of something like a 6 or 8-man is. I guess I could use a compression sack if they don't already come with one. Also means a larger stove would be good so more weight and room taken up there.

I was considering a cot with a built-in pad of some sort but I think I would still need more insulation as I don't believe they're very thick. Extra padding might be good too, not sure. I am a side sleeper so I see what you're saying there.

Kinda tough to say what size will work without seeing how much pack space I'm gonna have. I should probably prioritize which things to get first and maybe I can figure it out from there.

Typically I think you're supposed to get all your supplies together and then figure out what size bag you'll need, so I'm coming at this a little backwards. I have more room than most motorcyclists but I'd like to keep it light at least, and there's still a limit to what I can fit. Right now I'm at about 5.5-6ft³ with room to grow. I want to get good light gear so that I can always downsize when needed and still be fairly well equipped.

Here's a picture of the bike set up with road tires. I've got a front rack and some soft bags on the way to replace the aluminum boxes.

50352910107_ae2709c528_o.jpg
That is a nice looking set up. How’s that trailer pull on orv trails?

OP
A
That is a nice looking set up. How’s that trailer pull on orv trails?

I actually can't say for myself just yet. I've got gearing and tires for the road right now so that's all it's really done. However, they were designed for trails as well. Backing up isn't the most fun, but still, so far so good with this thing.

There's videos of them in use on YouTube. They're called a Sherpax.

Last edited: