New Guy Looking to Idaho

How's it going? New guy here that's been stalking this site a lot and finally joined! My dad and I have always dreamed of hunting mule deer out west and now with me out of the Marines I've got a little more free time to head that way. Not new to hunting but I was born and raised in the Louisiana swamps and rivers chasing ducks and whitetail so you could say this a pretty new experience for me. Not looking for specifics just advise on what to look for, what to expect, and how to escape hunting pressure. No stranger to hiking weight in the mountains and sleeping under the stars! For reference some of the units I've been looking at on OnX are the 69, 66 area and also Boise Nat Forest and Salmon Nat Forest. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

brn2hnt

WKR
How's it going? New guy here that's been stalking this site a lot and finally joined! My dad and I have always dreamed of hunting mule deer out west and now with me out of the Marines I've got a little more free time to head that way. Not new to hunting but I was born and raised in the Louisiana swamps and rivers chasing ducks and whitetail so you could say this a pretty new experience for me. Not looking for specifics just advise on what to look for, what to expect, and how to escape hunting pressure. No stranger to hiking weight in the mountains and sleeping under the stars! For reference some of the units I've been looking at on OnX are the 69, 66 area and also Boise Nat Forest and Salmon Nat Forest. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You mentioned growing up in LA, where will you be coming from now? Just wondering as there is a whole ton of good (better) country between ID and LA.

OP
Britts_Gap
I live in TN now and that’s where I will be coming from. Was mainly looking at Idaho just because of the OTC tags. Definitely open to other suggestions though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
You mentioned growing up in LA, where will you be coming from now? Just wondering as there is a whole ton of good (better) country between ID and LA.
For this year there's no other options. OTC tags in Idaho and go hunt are his best options. To the OP, what part of TN are you in now? Several Marines on this site, including myself, and I'm originally from TN. Word of advice, don't mention any specific unit numbers on an open forum, you'll have tons of company if you do, and it's bad juju to throw out specifics that are google searchable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
You missed out on the draws this year for most states. Idaho is open for controlled hunt applications now. Colorado may have some leftover tags but that's a free for all fighting for table scraps. Montana draw is over, Wyoming draw is open but if you don't have points that's out.

OP
Britts_Gap
Sneaky,
I use “live in TN” loosely because when I’m in the states I really just travel around wherever I want to go. I work as a private contractor so when I’m home I just travel around a lot. When I am in TN though I live in Spring City about 45min southwest of Knoxville.
I can understand the not posting units or specifics on a public forum. We had duck hunting spots where we only saw one other group for over 5 years and overnight you couldn’t fit another truck in the parking lot because a family friend posted about it. Guess I need to start looking into some draw hunts!

Idaho OTC takes some time to learn. I’d be considering some of the other options available-leftovers, AZ OTC, WY low/no point units, Idaho unlimited or easier to draw units, etc.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sneaky,
I use “live in TN” loosely because when I’m in the states I really just travel around wherever I want to go. I work as a private contractor so when I’m home I just travel around a lot. When I am in TN though I live in Spring City about 45min southwest of Knoxville.
I can understand the not posting units or specifics on a public forum. We had duck hunting spots where we only saw one other group for over 5 years and overnight you couldn’t fit another truck in the parking lot because a family friend posted about it. Guess I need to start looking into some draw hunts!
Get the hell out of Rhea county, that would be a good start

Salmon area has the best stats by far for what you're looking for....Boise forest has good success rates (I've counted well over 100 deer in one night driving Hwy 21, and that's just what was on the pavement :p), also over 11,000 hunters last year!!!
....I would put in for Owyhees for sure....awesome country....

Marble

WKR
My suggestion for the Marine would be to have realistic expectations. Being new to the area and to hunting mule deer, you will have a fairly steep learning curve. Expect it to take a few years to fill your tags. Luck could be on your side, but it's not easy.

If you're going to backpack hunt, go backpack near where you live and get your "system" and gear worked out.

If you have the time to go where you plan to hunt ahead of time and scout, its invaluable. Expect to spend 2 to 4 days just getting an idea where you will camp, hunt, find water, places you'll need to visit in town, etc. You may set camp, figure out it sucks or animals are not around and then need to relocate. It all takes time which most people dont have.

Go to the local town. Sit down at a diner, or go in the grocery store. Wear hunting clothes. Strike conversation with the waitress, grocery clerk, dudes at the bar etc. Never know what you'll hear.

And dont be afraid to go for Elk too...

sneaky

"DADDY"
You need to tell us what you're looking for as far as deer quality. Just want to shoot a meat buck to say you've killed a mule deer? That's way different than saying you want a 160 buck or bigger. One can be shot close to the road, the other you gotta burn a lot of boot leather. If you are going to do OTC Idaho you may as well put in for the controlled hunts, everyone has the same chance to draw. Idaho Hunt Planner is a great resource to look over draw and harvest statistics. SE Idaho has had a rough stretch with winters over the past five years. That herd needs a few mild winters to rebound.

OP
Britts_Gap
Thanks for all the information so far! Sneaky, I’ve never hunted anything than turkeys in the whole state of TN. Duck hunting was done in LA and OK but it’s ridiculous in LA now.

Not expecting to kill a trophy class buck the first time out. I’m realistic and if I get to even glass a few at a distance I’ll count that as a success and learning experience. I’d prefer to actually get into the backcountry and not just right off the road. I looked at Arizona but aren’t they archery only for OTC? Sticking with the rifle for now. I like the idea of trying to converse with some of the locals. Does that actually work? Obviously they aren’t gonna say where they’ve got family honey holes but in my experience local hunters won’t even talk to out of towners. Worth a shot though I reckon!

CL&RR

FNG
Don't be detracted by some of the naysayers, if you're just out to enjoy the open western style hunting, the landscape is awesome. I hunted Idaho last year with my boys and there were plenty of deer to look through, if you are particular about the size of antlers then yeah, you're going to work a little harder and hike in a bit further but you can definitely see multiple bucks a day and pull the trigger on a some big body meat bucks also.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I know where you’re at. I’m the annoying one running the trains along 27 through spring city. Try some Arizona otc with your bow.
Oh, you're THAT guy! Lol. I grew up next to the railroad over in Ocoee, trains don't bother me Haha