New Guy stationed in SoCal!

JDay23

FNG
What up friends! Just got stationed in SoCal last month. Moved here from South Carolina with my wife. Love being outdoors hunting camping hiking etc... A friend mentioned this site figured I’d try it out and meet some people. Was just getting into bow hunting before I left SC. If you’re looking for an apprentice or a friend to hunt with let me know! 😎👍

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to the forum. You didn't happen to hunt D14 for deer this past season did you? I met someone who had just been transferred from SC.

Mattyq17

FNG
Thanks! How’s the trips look like on the coast?

The Central Coast is looking good right now if you have a chance to come up and check it out. March thru June is the best weather to hike around in before it gets too hot in the mountains, unless you stay around the coast. Lots of places to hike up past Cambria on Hwy 1 towards Monterey. A couple decent lakes to bass fish in if thats your thing. Lots of area to hunt in A zone if you like heat, little water, and lots of other hunters, lol. Thank you for your service.

OP
JDay23

JDay23

FNG
Welcome to the forum. You didn't happen to hunt D14 for deer this past season did you? I met someone who had just been transferred from SC.
I haven't hunted yet still getting settled in! Just been lurking on the forums and doing a bunch of research before i start to pick some spots to head out and scout. D14 would be the closest hunting zone for me but Im definitely not opposed to traveling. Think i might try out scouting and hiking the back country of that area to get a better idea of what im in for! If youre interested im always down for some help! :)

OP
JDay23

JDay23

FNG
The Central Coast is looking good right now if you have a chance to come up and check it out. March thru June is the best weather to hike around in before it gets too hot in the mountains, unless you stay around the coast. Lots of places to hike up past Cambria on Hwy 1 towards Monterey. A couple decent lakes to bass fish in if thats your thing. Lots of area to hunt in A zone if you like heat, little water, and lots of other hunters, lol. Thank you for your service.
Man that sounds like a great time definitely going to have to get up that way and check it out! Apparently "A zone" is where its popping off huh? lol Im hoping being a little more physically active than the average dude will help me out a little, i definitely dont mind venturing out off the beaten path!

Mattyq17

FNG
Man that sounds like a great time definitely going to have to get up that way and check it out! Apparently "A zone" is where its popping off huh? lol Im hoping being a little more physically active than the average dude will help me out a little, i definitely dont mind venturing out off the beaten path!

Northern A zone maybe but Southern A zone is a tough hunt for size unless you have private property to hunt. Lots of spike/fork and small forkies killed around here. Being that you are in the Air Force check and see if that gets you access to Vandenberg Air Force Base, some good hunting there. It was down for a while but is starting to pump out some good bucks. PM me if you want some more info. Matt

OP
JDay23

JDay23

FNG
Northern A zone maybe but Southern A zone is a tough hunt for size unless you have private property to hunt. Lots of spike/fork and small forkies killed around here. Being that you are in the Air Force check and see if that gets you access to Vandenberg Air Force Base, some good hunting there. It was down for a while but is starting to pump out some good bucks. PM me if you want some more info. Matt
Yes! I will definitely shoot you a message! I love learning about new places and any experiences people may want to share. The closest zone for me is D14, ive read some decent stuff about that area a lot of the info i have read leans more towards the "back country style." Lots of good success 7-12 miles from the nearest trail head. Pack in Pack out! Definitely a style i want to get into!