New Guy Trying Elk

bvangor

FNG
Morning all,

Yes I am a new elk hunter, and I have read through numerous other threads but I just wanted to ask a few questions.

1- I am planning on doing an OTC Colorado elk hunt next September. I will be out there hunting for 17 days. I have a few units in mind but I am finding a lot of conflicting information on them. With being 20 some hours away I cannot really go and put boots on the ground so I am using onX and google maps etc. Are there any units that are better for early archery? I am looking to be a bit more secluded but with that I know if there are less hunters there are usually less elk.

2- I am just looking for a mentor(s)/ someone with the wisdom of elk hunting. I am a newer hunter and I am completely ok with that and asking for help. I think building a network and learning from the seasoned vets is extremely important. No I will not ask you for honey holes, no I will not ask you to do my hard work for me, just someone to bounce ideas off of and learn from.

Thank you all for the help and I am excited to learn all that I can! Appreciate it.

fatlander

WKR
Secluded and OTC units don’t coexist. Unless there is virtually no public land with elk in that unit. If anyone is willing to dole out information on the internet about secluded areas within OTC units, they won’t be secluded anymore.

If the state is selling tags, there are elk in the unit. Pick one that has the type of terrain that interests you. Go get your tail kicked by the mountain next year and consider it a success if you see elk. Build upon that experience the following year.

Good luck. Elk hunting is hard. Hunting OTC tags on public land is even harder. Get in shape, cover country until you find elk, then slow down and hunt them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerbdog

WKR
I'd keep checking into the forums and use the search feature, lots of information here for everything your looking for and google search a bit, its a good starting point, things like elk101, etc. are a good jumping on point.

Threads come up on these forums from time to time for new hunters that are looking for partners to go hunting with, keep your eyes peeled and be friendly and maybe you can join up with them.

There are elk all over CO, people kill them high and people kill them low. The current wisdom is look high during archery if you wanna get into elk, that should help with your E-scouting. Stay west of I-25, that eliminates half the state, then look at the archery OTC units, then find a unit that has good chunks of public land at high altitudes and focus in on those areas.

After that your going to want to start looking for specific features, access, water, bedding areas, etc. which is where i recommend you google up some elk101 courses on E scouting, or anyone else willing to lay down some E-scouting knowledge online. In this day and age i think a person can get online and learn everything they need to come out here and be successful. Yea.... that first trip probably has more to do with luck then skill, and yea.... that first trip is gonna be an eye opener if you havent hunted out here before... but its still possible to do.

WTFJohn

WKR
Morning all,

Yes I am a new elk hunter, and I have read through numerous other threads but I just wanted to ask a few questions.

1- I am planning on doing an OTC Colorado elk hunt next September. I will be out there hunting for 17 days. I have a few units in mind but I am finding a lot of conflicting information on them. With being 20 some hours away I cannot really go and put boots on the ground so I am using onX and google maps etc. Are there any units that are better for early archery? I am looking to be a bit more secluded but with that I know if there are less hunters there are usually less elk.

2- I am just looking for a mentor(s)/ someone with the wisdom of elk hunting. I am a newer hunter and I am completely ok with that and asking for help. I think building a network and learning from the seasoned vets is extremely important. No I will not ask you for honey holes, no I will not ask you to do my hard work for me, just someone to bounce ideas off of and learn from.

Thank you all for the help and I am excited to learn all that I can! Appreciate it.

1- What happens if I mention an OTC unit number in a post here that offers seclusion in archery? The answer is it's cataloged and recorded for eternity for anyone to search out, and it will no longer offer seclusion or good hunting. You need to spend your 17 days in a handful of units and find which of your own spots offer success.

2- You have that here already. You just don't know the right questions to ask and feel that there 'where' is the first thing you need to tackle, when in reality it's far from it.

You can do your own research by looking up the Colorado Hunting Atlas & Colorado Big Game Harvest Statistics, searching out units that match your criteria for success/hunters/bull:cow/whatever, then e-scouting them for areas to hunt. You need to figure out what your physical limitations are (hint: probably lower than you think, elevation is unforgiving), especially packing meat out in early September heat. What's your clothing & gear setup? Hotel, truck, or backpack camp? Do you have any experience backpacking or hunting or is this a whole new endeavor?

Start answering some of those questions on your own and use the search here more than the New Post button. Read after-hunt posts from guys that were & weren't successful. The 'where' part of your hunt will start to sort itself out when you get through the above.

OP
B

bvangor

FNG
Secluded and OTC units don’t coexist. Unless there is virtually no public land with elk in that unit. If anyone is willing to dole out information on the internet about secluded areas within OTC units, they won’t be secluded anymore.

If the state is selling tags, there are elk in the unit. Pick one that has the type of terrain that interests you. Go get your tail kicked by the mountain next year and consider it a success if you see elk. Build upon that experience the following year.

Good luck. Elk hunting is hard. Hunting OTC tags on public land is even harder. Get in shape, cover country until you find elk, then slow down and hunt them.

Yes I guess that does make sense, I have been doing a lot of analyizng the CPW harvest reports, hunters in the units, hunting days etc so I have seen some that are lower in numbers but obviously are not "secluded" maybe that was a poor choice of words.

Thank you very much for the help I really appreciate it!

fatlander

WKR
Yes I guess that does make sense, I have been doing a lot of analyizng the CPW harvest reports, hunters in the units, hunting days etc so I have seen some that are lower in numbers but obviously are not "secluded" maybe that was a poor choice of words.

Thank you very much for the help I really appreciate it!

Don’t get caught up in the paralysis by analysis. Every OTC unit has elk. Every OTC unit has plenty of country without elk. Every OTC unit has plenty of company. It’s all what you make of it.

OP
B

bvangor

FNG
I'd keep checking into the forums and use the search feature, lots of information here for everything your looking for and google search a bit, its a good starting point, things like elk101, etc. are a good jumping on point.

Threads come up on these forums from time to time for new hunters that are looking for partners to go hunting with, keep your eyes peeled and be friendly and maybe you can join up with them.

There are elk all over CO, people kill them high and people kill them low. The current wisdom is look high during archery if you wanna get into elk, that should help with your E-scouting. Stay west of I-25, that eliminates half the state, then look at the archery OTC units, then find a unit that has good chunks of public land at high altitudes and focus in on those areas.

After that your going to want to start looking for specific features, access, water, bedding areas, etc. which is where i recommend you google up some elk101 courses on E scouting, or anyone else willing to lay down some E-scouting knowledge online. In this day and age i think a person can get online and learn everything they need to come out here and be successful. Yea.... that first trip probably has more to do with luck then skill, and yea.... that first trip is gonna be an eye opener if you havent hunted out here before... but its still possible to do.
That is a great call out I will for sure be looking up the elk101 class.

Great information thank you. I have started scouting on the bedding, water, where i would think they are, where I can glass them from etc. As I know it will be hot in September water will be a key point. Thank you for the help I guess it makes sense to stay high in altitude as it would most likely stay cooler with hotter temps.

fatlander

WKR

Great information thank you. I have started scouting on the bedding, water, where i would think they are, where I can glass them from etc. As I know it will be hot in September water will be a key point. Thank you for the help I guess it makes sense to stay high in altitude as it would most likely stay cooler with hotter temps.

Depending on where you are, water might not be as important as you think. There’s some parts of the Rockies that have water everywhere. Even these past few years with record droughts. I can’t stress enough that finding elk is the key to killing elk. Don’t get caught up on elky looking spots or old sign. If you can’t see, hear, and/or smell elk you haven’t found elk.

OP
B

bvangor

FNG
1- What happens if I mention an OTC unit number in a post here that offers seclusion in archery? The answer is it's cataloged and recorded for eternity for anyone to search out, and it will no longer offer seclusion or good hunting. You need to spend your 17 days in a handful of units and find which of your own spots offer success.

2- You have that here already. You just don't know the right questions to ask and feel that there 'where' is the first thing you need to tackle, when in reality it's far from it.

You can do your own research by looking up the Colorado Hunting Atlas & Colorado Big Game Harvest Statistics, searching out units that match your criteria for success/hunters/bull:cow/whatever, then e-scouting them for areas to hunt. You need to figure out what your physical limitations are (hint: probably lower than you think, elevation is unforgiving), especially packing meat out in early September heat. What's your clothing & gear setup? Hotel, truck, or backpack camp? Do you have any experience backpacking or hunting or is this a whole new endeavor?

Start answering some of those questions on your own and use the search here more than the New Post button. Read after-hunt posts from guys that were & weren't successful. The 'where' part of your hunt will start to sort itself out when you get through the above.
1- Yes I can already see my mistake there. Good call out. I thought a similar idea, I have picked out 3-4 that I think would be good. But smart idea to move around a bit and get a wider variety.

2- yes I have been doing a lot of analysis on the numbers that I can find to try to put together a good base to then start finding areas inside of them. I am beginning my work outs now and am 26 and being in decent shape I think by next Sept. I will be at 80% which in the mountains will probably be 40% haha.

I have a lot of merino wool, and hunting layers for other hunting I do, as well as gear. I am an avid camper and outdoors person so I am well versed in backpacking the lower 48 and on other continents.

I appreciate all the help it is giving me a lot more to dive into! Thank you all!

Gerbdog

WKR

I'll let you know now in some of these CO units that water isnt nearly as big a deal as say... new mexico.... where i hunt the water just seeps out of the mountain and flows downhill... everywhere.... having come from growing up hunting NM it was an adjustment to give up scouting based on water haha. Still, some units on the western side of CO the water becomes a big deal again, all depends on what you wanna hunt and what your looking to get out of it

edit- fatlander said it above - because its true haha - and yes they stay high in early september to stay cooler

OP
B

bvangor

FNG
Depending on where you are, water might not be as important as you think. There’s some parts of the Rockies that have water everywhere. Even these past few years with record droughts. I can’t stress enough that finding elk is the key to killing elk. Don’t get caught up on elky looking spots or old sign. If you can’t see, hear, and/or smell elk you haven’t found elk.

I love the simplicity of this haha. Finding elk is killing elk, 100% true. I will keep this in mind for sure. Do you usually spend a day or so in a spot and if youre not hearing something you move to the next? Or what is a typical timeline for you? I have heard everything from hunting an area for a day or so and if there isnt fresh sign, or sound move on?

Gerbdog

WKR
I love the simplicity of this haha. Finding elk is killing elk, 100% true. I will keep this in mind for sure. Do you usually spend a day or so in a spot and if youre not hearing something you move to the next? Or what is a typical timeline for you? I have heard everything from hunting an area for a day or so and if there isnt fresh sign, or sound move on?
I think the wisdom of moving until you find fresh fresh sign / elk is good wisdom and its what i advise folks do, especially if they are new. I know you said "hear" them and yes... hearing a bugle would be a great thing, but more so i'd be looking for super fresh sign, and above all, your nose. Elk are strong smelling animals and their smell lingers when they are in an area. You'll know your on a fresh bed because it will wreak of elk, you'll know your downwind of the elk because ... you smell them.... you'll know the wallow your looking at was used because... it smells like elk..... Fatlander was correct, keep looking til you smell them.

So the way it's recommended, and you'll find this as you research more, is you should E-scout out 50 places you think could hold elk, and then spend your hunting time going from location to location until you find that fresh elk sign that says "elk area around, im close" and then you need to slow down and hunt

fatlander

WKR

The country will dictate a lot of what you do. It’s pretty hard to say what’s typical. The elk or lack there of will make the ultimate decision.

Ultimately though, if I’ve been somewhere for a day and haven’t heard/seen/smelled elk, I’m covering country until I do.

OP
B

bvangor

FNG
I think the wisdom of moving until you find fresh fresh sign / elk is good wisdom and its what i advise folks do, especially if they are new. I know you said "hear" them and yes... hearing a bugle would be a great thing, but more so i'd be looking for super fresh sign, and above all, your nose. Elk are strong smelling animals and their smell lingers when they are in an area. You'll know your on a fresh bed because it will wreak of elk, you'll know your downwind of the elk because ... you smell them.... you'll know the wallow your looking at was used because... it smells like elk..... Fatlander was correct, keep looking til you smell them.

So the way it's recommended, and you'll find this as you research more, is you should E-scout out 50 places you think could hold elk, and then spend your hunting time going from location to location until you find that fresh elk sign that says "elk area around, im close" and then you need to slow down and hunt
That makes a lot of sense. Wow 50 places?? I guess that does make sense not to doddle around. Seems like I have a lot more scouting to do.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
50 places? I think that may be a little excessive, but certainly have 10 spots that you know how you will access and where you can effectively glass a lot of country from.

I would consider a day of scouting on the front end to help you find them. Randy Newberg says he will trade 2 days of hunting for a good day of scouting and there is some wisdom in that.

Pick an area (say 2 units) & E-scout them to identify several areas that look promising. Even at 20 hours away you could find a long 4 day weekend & fly out & scout them out to get a better idea of what you're gonna be dealing with (sans hunters of course). It will definitely be worth the time & money. You might even find a shed or two.

Gerbdog

WKR
That makes a lot of sense. Wow 50 places?? I guess that does make sense not to doddle around. Seems like I have a lot more scouting to do.
Haha, sorry, i threw out a big number, there is no set "how many places you should have marked" yes... 50 is a big number, but over a lifetime i bet you can build up that many ;) I think on your first trip, like someone mentioned above, 10 is probably plenty unless your finding zero sign in each place and your covering ground quick. Have plans A-Z (no not literally) is what we are trying to say incase plan A has zero elk sign in it, and neither does B, and so down the line.

I personally would rather find a limited draw GMU that might allow you to draw with 0 points over hunting an OTC unit. If you don't draw, you can then move on to an OTC unit. Or you can buy a landowner voucher for a limited draw unit. If you are planning to spend 17 days in the field, I would rather be in a limited draw unit. I don't hunt OTC units because of all the horror stories with crowds and and "hunters" that aren't all that concerned about actually hunting. You'll still get that in a draw unit, but there is enough room to get away from it.

OP
B

bvangor

FNG
I personally would rather find a limited draw GMU that might allow you to draw with 0 points over hunting an OTC unit. If you don't draw, you can then move on to an OTC unit. Or you can buy a landowner voucher for a limited draw unit. If you are planning to spend 17 days in the field, I would rather be in a limited draw unit. I don't hunt OTC units because of all the horror stories with crowds and and "hunters" that aren't all that concerned about actually hunting. You'll still get that in a draw unit, but there is enough room to get away from it.
That is a good point. I just figured all draws I would need more points but I guess I might as well try right? It would make it more difficult to scout then because you would need to wait until the draw. But I guess that would give some time for scouting as well. Thank you!

17 days is a long time for a first time solo elk hunt. I would refine your truck camping setup to be comfortable/dry and mobile. You will burn out after the first week if you are not comfortable.
Inventory vehicles at trailheads on the weekend and weekdays. Some are get only weekend pressure and you may have an area to yourself Monday-Thursday.