New Guy with a question regarding rain gear for backpacking trip

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
New guy from the foothills of the Appalachian mountains in Georgia here, with some questions. First of all, this forum is so informative and I greatly appreciate the collective knowledge base here. I have not done any western hunting but I’ve become interested in it because sitting in a deer stand over a food plot in South Georgia is just so boring. We have a pretty rugged mountainous area nearby called the Cohutta Wilderness and I intend to try some western style backpack hunting there in the upcoming season
I have a backpacking/fishing trip up Slough creek and over Bliss pass scheduled for the last week of August. I wanted to buy a solid, but packable, rain jacket for the trip, that I could also use on hunts out west in Colorado/Wyoming/Montana. Ideally, I would also use this jacket as a general purpose rain coat here in North Georgia and maybe as an outer shell for skiing. Now to the question:
I have started looking hard at the lightweight Firstlite Vapor, but I can’t find a whole lot of reviews on this site (or anywhere else about it). I’ve read the threads mentioning it, but it seems like in the majority of them a lot of people mention the Kuiu Chugach, as a better alternative. The firstlite is decently cheaper, I like the company and the fit of their clothes I have a firstlite catalyst in XXL and it seems a little bit big (doubt I could do a XL) I like Kuiu as well but their sizing seems all over the place. Does anyone have any recent experience with the vapor? Any alternative suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Wrench

WKR
What's your budget like?

Arcteryx and sitka are going to get a ton of votes.....but it'll cost ya.

Are you one of those who runs at 190 beats per minute and expects to stay cool and dry, or do you muddle along?.....this is a huge factor.

OP
C

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
What's your budget like?

Arcteryx and sitka are going to get a ton of votes.....but it'll cost ya.

Are you one of those who runs at 190 beats per minute and expects to stay cool and dry, or do you muddle along?.....this is a huge factor.

Thanks for the reply. I tend to muddle along. Im in surprisingly good shape, but as a, er, “husky” guy I realize it’s pretty unrealistic to stay comepletely dry, and I would put a heavy emphasis on breathability. My price range is sub-$400. Honestly, a huge selling point on the Vapor is that I can get it in a non camo earth tone and wear it hunting or around town without getting too many eye rolls from the city folks. I can’t find a Sitka in any solid color, The Chugach comes in black as the only solid color offering. I would guess all black would probably be a deal breaker for hunting, right?

Wrench

WKR
I wouldn't be afraid of black unless you are bear hunting. Black works for bears.

I'd have pit zips as a selling point and as a muddler, you're likely to do well with any of the quality brands, and should consider fit a selling point.

Pit zips are a must. Never carry my Black Precip pants because the black sticks out like a sore thumb. (and I've figured out I don't really need rain pants hunting archery elk in CO in Sept). I use a green colored Marmot Precip rain jacket for all my hunting. Similar weight to the Sitka Cloudburst but only cost me $50-60 if I remember right. Been used for 4-5yrs and just keeps working for me.

I’m looking at the same coat, found OR helium in brown for 150$ packs down in a pocket size of a sandwich and weight 6 oz.... the fl is 12oz ... just wondering in durability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

signing up as a muddler!
at 62, ya you betcha.
i got a brown arcty i got on sale, nice jacket but xl was too tight for movement, cannot stand short sleeves and 2xl neck is a bit big.
tough buying clothes online
195# @ 6'

OP
C

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
signing up as a muddler!
at 62, ya you betcha.
i got a brown arcty i got on sale, nice jacket but xl was too tight for movement, cannot stand short sleeves and 2xl neck is a bit big.
tough buying clothes online
195# @ 6'

kuiu fit is so hit or miss. I wear XXL in their long sleeve merino and it fits a little right across the chest but overall it’s a good fit for a baselayer. I’m a hard fit
I’m looking at the same coat, found OR helium in brown for 150$ packs down in a pocket size of a sandwich and weight 6 oz.... the fl is 12oz ... just wondering in durability

6 0z??? Lordy, thats very Intriguing. I’d be curious about waterproofness and durability, but heck, I dunno jack squat at this point!
Thanks for the reply. I tend to muddle along. Im in surprisingly good shape, but as a, er, “husky” guy I realize it’s pretty unrealistic to stay comepletely dry, and I would put a heavy emphasis on breathability. My price range is sub-$400. Honestly, a huge selling point on the Vapor is that I can get it in a non camo earth tone and wear it hunting or around town without getting too many eye rolls from the city folks. I can’t find a Sitka in any solid color, The Chugach comes in black as the only solid color offering. I would guess all black would probably be a deal breaker for hunting, right?

6oz??? Lordy, that’s very intriguing. I’d be curious about waterproofness and durability, but those stats are darn good.

MTJake

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my marmot Precip as an all around backpacking/lightweight/hunting rain jacket. It packs easy, is not too expensive, and the grey color I have works fine. I spent some money on a more expensive camo rain jacket, and wish now I would have just stuck to the precip.