New guy with some general gear questions

Rokbar

WKR
Just invest in a good solid pair of boots! Take care of your feet and they will get you where you need to go. I have those Salomons and they are great boots.

Fatcamp

WKR
1) Your gun is fine.
2) Your backpack is fine. The old Dana Designs packs are built like tanks and carry weight very well. I still have a DD Glacier that has a ton of miles on it. I do prefer my EXO for hauling meat though.

This. Plenty of time to geek out on gear if you become obsessed. Gives us something to do in the off season.

amassi

WKR
Lever action will never work..

G0619-ELK-1.jpg

7_Elk-Cartridges-LEAD.jpg

dsc_0313_400.jpg
Fake news 2/3 have leupold scopes and those dont work

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I’ve been lurking and seldom posting but I think I’ve decided to take the plunge and attempt a western hunt in the near future. I already do a yearly backpacking/ trout fishing trip out west with high school buddies so I have decent amount of somewhat dated backpacking gear. I also periodically hunt whitetail in South Georgia on my wife’s family farm. I have two pieces of gear in hand that I would be grateful if some of y’all provided some opinions on:

1. First, my primary deer rifle is a lever action Browning BLR in 308 with a Very lightweight Leupold 4.5-14 scope on it. The rifle is pretty old (early to mid 70’s Japanese made model). Is this sufficient for a western hunt? I don’t see a lot of folks talk about backpack hunting with a lever action and I’m wondering if there’s something I’m missing. I’d guess the weight with scope is probably right under 8 lbs but I cannot find the exact specs of my old model on browning’s website? Do I need a fancy new Tikka in 30-06 or 270? I’d love an excuse to get one....

2. My second question concerns backpacks. I own a late 90’s model Dana Designs terraplane. It’s a big heavy pack but so far, it seems to work for me. Frankly I haven’t tried any newer packs so I don’t even know what I’m missing out on, but the terraplane design is fairly legendary. Should I splurge on a new pack or could I get by on a hunt or two with it? Would it help to add something like a Kifaru grab-it? Does anyone else hunt with an internal frame and if so, any tips on packing meat out?

thanks in advance.
You seem to imply a backpack hunt but weren’t explicit so I’ll offer this. Decide what kind of western hunt you want to do. Horses, backpack, base camp, cabin day hunts -all have pros and cons and all may have a more optimal gear set up.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Quality, comfortable boots
Comfortable sleeping pad
Warm sleeping bag
Clothing you can layer
Tags

Rifle and pack will so the job

This, get some excellent boots that fit your foot, get a sleeping bag and pad that let you sleep well, clothes that allow you to stay out longer. Worry about the rest later or as your finances allow.

A gun that is a bit heavy or not modern won’t matter. Boots that have destroyed your feet and sleeping gear that has given you multiple sleepless nights will absolutely ruin a hunt.

peterk123

WKR
Following this thread with much interest. I recently posted a question not unlike this one.

What makes boots good? I wear good boots, all leather Oboz. Mid cut with solid soles. They work well for the type of hiking I do, including carrying a pack up to 30 pounds. No hot spots but my feet do get achy after about three hours of hiking. I figure I need to try some different insoles. I ski and I learned from that sport the semi custom insoles (molded to bottom of feet) makes a world of difference. However in skiing I want a very stiff insoles, feet should not move at all. Now, my Oboz cost $150. Many of the boots referenced in this forum can exceed $400. What are the main differences?

Thanks

Pete

MT_Wyatt

WKR
So the biggest thing is the grade (ie thickness) of leather, the rand, and the midsoles. Nothing wrong with oboz and my hunting partner used them for a few years. Where you end up needing more boot depends how far of trail you are and how rugged the terrain. Especially for multi-day day stuff. I’ve seen the oboz boots get overwhelmed pretty quick.

Below are two good articles on the subject - so to answer your question more directly, a “good” boot is going to have a significant rand around it, a mostly polyurethane (heavier but longer lasting than Eva foam) mid sole, minimal seams (both leather or synthetic), more support (height and structure), and better lacing. That could be leather or synthetic or a mixture of both. And “good” for some parts of the year is too much or too little for others.

Following this thread with much interest. I recently posted a question not unlike this one.

What makes boots good? I wear good boots, all leather Oboz. Mid cut with solid soles. They work well for the type of hiking I do, including carrying a pack up to 30 pounds. No hot spots but my feet do get achy after about three hours of hiking. I figure I need to try some different insoles. I ski and I learned from that sport the semi custom insoles (molded to bottom of feet) makes a world of difference. However in skiing I want a very stiff insoles, feet should not move at all. Now, my Oboz cost $150. Many of the boots referenced in this forum can exceed $400. What are the main differences?

Thanks

Pete

Maki35

WKR
I'm not one to run out and buy the so-call latest/ greatest gear. So what if your gun or your pack is old. I hunt with a lever action, it's one of my favorite rifles. If it works for YOU, then stick with it. If you're looking for an excuse to go shopping, then have at it.

Popcan

FNG
1) Your gun is fine.
2) Your backpack is fine. The old Dana Designs packs are built like tanks and carry weight very well. I still have a DD Glacier that has a ton of miles on it. I do prefer my EXO for hauling meat though.
This..
I'll add, if your cash is burning a whole in your pocket, spend it on the best quality optics you can afford. Go hunt, you'll learn quick what you need and what you don't.

woods89

WKR
The rifle and pack you mentioned will work just fine, unless you're on instagram!

I will echo the comments on boots. I wore those Salomons the first time I went. They worked, but they do have a tendency to leak. I had almost 50 miles on mine by the time my trip came around and the Gore-tex was not working, so I had wet feet part of the time. They also don't have quite the traction of a stiffer mountain boot, in my opinion. Having said that they are quite serviceable. I bought a pair of Asolo GV Hunters off STP for the next trip and they were a big step up. Last I checked they were still in stock in some sizes there. You can treat leather which gives you some extra protection. And a good pair of gaiters helps with leaking a lot.

After a trip or two you won't have to guess what you want to upgrade. That's the time to do it.

Good luck!

OP
C

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
You seem to imply a backpack hunt but weren’t explicit so I’ll offer this. Decide what kind of western hunt you want to do. Horses, backpack, base camp, cabin day hunts -all have pros and cons and all may have a more optimal gear set up.
Yeah, I am most interested in a backpack hunt with the option to set up a base camp/truck camp. I don’t have access to horses.

Yeah, I am most interested in a backpack hunt with the option to set up a base camp/truck camp. I don’t have access to horses.
You should be good to go with that pack. If you transition to a base camp/truck camp may want a lighter day pack but not necessary, personal preference. I second what others have said about boots, they can make or break a trip.

OP
C

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
You should be good to go with that pack. If you transition to a base camp/truck camp may want a lighter day pack but not necessary, personal preference. I second what others have said about boots, they can make or break a trip.
Oh man, I totally believe you. I had a backpack fishing trip in Yellowstone this past summer where i wore some old heavy Vasque Alpines for 4 days of relatively flat 5-9 miles/day hiking. I thought they were well broken in, but they still tore my feet up after the third day on the trail. I could hardly wade to fish the last evening. They were heavy as hell, too. Thus, I’m going with the lighter and allegedly comfier Saloman GTX’s.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’ve been lurking and seldom posting but I think I’ve decided to take the plunge and attempt a western hunt in the near future. I already do a yearly backpacking/ trout fishing trip out west with high school buddies so I have decent amount of somewhat dated backpacking gear. I also periodically hunt whitetail in South Georgia on my wife’s family farm. I have two pieces of gear in hand that I would be grateful if some of y’all provided some opinions on:

1. First, my primary deer rifle is a lever action Browning BLR in 308 with a Very lightweight Leupold 4.5-14 scope on it. The rifle is pretty old (early to mid 70’s Japanese made model). Is this sufficient for a western hunt? I don’t see a lot of folks talk about backpack hunting with a lever action and I’m wondering if there’s something I’m missing. I’d guess the weight with scope is probably right under 8 lbs but I cannot find the exact specs of my old model on browning’s website? Do I need a fancy new Tikka in 30-06 or 270? I’d love an excuse to get one....

2. My second question concerns backpacks. I own a late 90’s model Dana Designs terraplane. It’s a big heavy pack but so far, it seems to work for me. Frankly I haven’t tried any newer packs so I don’t even know what I’m missing out on, but the terraplane design is fairly legendary. Should I splurge on a new pack or could I get by on a hunt or two with it? Would it help to add something like a Kifaru grab-it? Does anyone else hunt with an internal frame and if so, any tips on packing meat out?

thanks in advance.
You most certainly have to be from Dalton with that screen name lol. The 308 will kill everything on this continent, and your pack is fine. Guys here will be quick to help you spend your money though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
C

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
You most certainly have to be from Dalton with that screen name lol. The 308 will kill everything on this continent, and your pack is fine. Guys here will be quick to help you spend your money though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Hahaha. Bingo.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your pack and gun will get it done gear changes and upgrades simply allow you to be more efficient, pack less weight and be more comfortable which in turn can add to success....good luck and spend wisely🤙