New guy with some general gear questions

tuffcity

WKR
You’ll need a primary Tikka and a backup Tikka 👌🏻

or just get a sako right out of the gate. :)

Gun and pack GTG... don't get hung up on rifle weight as a determining factor as to how hard you can hunt. That's more the mental aspect. My wife's "mountain rifle" was for years a 10.5 lb knight muzzle loader. She packed that sucker all over the place and killed bears, deer and mtn goats with it but we could never get her in close enough for a sheep. So I bought her a finnlight in 7-08 for christmas one year and the next fall she killed a dall ram at inside 40 yards (yes, four zero). Just because you're hunting "out west or alpine" doesn't mean you'll be shooting (at) stuff at 500 yards or more.

Try on a ton of different boot brands and pay the money for a really good pair. Everybody's feet have a preferred brand. Mine are german made meindls, I've never had a blister or hot spot with them and my latest pair are the Canada pro (not the Cabela version) and they're going into their 9th season.

Make sure your current pack fits you properly. Adjust it with at least 70-80 pounds in it. Once it fits try a 100 or better. The first time you have to pack a boned out critter any distance you'll be happy you spent a few hours fine tuning it.

RC

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
Your gun and pack are fine, get some good solid boots, a decent tent, workout, and you'll have a blast. Some of the best memories i have hunting was with sub par gear when i started. Just go, be safe and have an escape plan. In other words, don't get 10 miles back in somewhere with a walmart tent in 2 feet of snow. Take what you need to be SAFE, the rest is just fun learning. First trips west I don't reccomend spending a bunch of money on gear except what you need to be safe and semi comfortable. If you love it, then you can invest in better gear

I think we all need to dial back sometimes and remember- there are still guys out there getting it done in wool pants, flannels, and open sights. I love gear as much as anybody, but there are some hunts that just aren't as hardcore as everyone makes them sound. I used to hunt elk in November in jeans and tennis shoes haha wouldn't do it again, but not every hunt needs kuiu and thousands in gear. It's very nice and makes things more comfortable, but not always needed. Just go, enjoy it