New headlamp

Perrin713

FNG
Looking for a new headlamp to purchase. My go to lamp has been a Fenix but would like something brighter. I’ll be using the lamp for my yearly trip to Montana for elk hunting. Also I hunt a lot of waterfowl in NY and use a lamp for field and water hunting.
I’d prefer for a rechargeable unit that I can charge vs carrying a bunch of batteries into the mountains. Spot and flood light feature would be great, don’t really care for the red and green light features.
Price isn’t too much of a concern. Would rather finally invest in a higher end light than keep wasting $ on lamps that I’m unhappy with.
Any input is greatly appreciated!

Black Diamond Storm. I only put high quality batteries in it and change before season and I’ve never had them run out, up to 7 day trip. Super bright when you need it but mainly use it on dimmer setting and red. Takes 4 AAA so there’s a weight penalty but most reliable headlamp I’ve found. You can get rechargeables for it if you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
I've been very happy with my Nitecore NU25, which I picked up in the spring. Tiny, yet performs at the same level as much larger headlamps. Rechargeable. The only time I take my larger Petzl XRP, which I also really like is when I'm on a bike or skis and moving fast, the spot on the NU25 doesnt quite have the brightness at distance... the light is out there, just not as bright. But for hiking/hunting it has been awesome. When my Petzl dies, I'll be exploring more of the Nitecore lineup

hikenhunt

WKR
Black Diamond Spot. Its not rechargeable, but I stopped carrying spare batteries because i've never run out of juice

OP
P

Perrin713

FNG
Anyone have a Acebeam H30? Seems the output and run time is fairly good. Also I'm looking into the Zebralights.

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you want powerful you'll want it to use a 18650 lithium ion rechargeable battery. I recommend zebralight, skillhunt, fenix, and olite. Whichever light you get make sure it's got a neutral white led and not a cool white led. Now onto batteries. I really recommend 18650s because the runtime and power output will be much better than 3 AA lights and you can carry just 1 spare 18650 to swap out instead of 3 AA which is way easier to swap batteries in the dark.

Hathcock

FNG

First question, what fenix light are you using that isn’t bright enough.
I have a couple skilhunt H03 headlamps that I really like. Mine don’t have charging built in like the one linked. The linked version has a flip to the side diffuser so you can get a focus beam or diffused beam. I carried mine in my pocket for a couple years with no issues. There are cheaper places to buy it if you don’t need it ASAP.

Other options I would recommend are zebra light as mentioned above and armytek (wizard pro). These do not have the option of both flood and focused beam. Not sure how big of a priority that is for you.

bignocks

FNG
Huge fan of the princeton tec apex pro. It has the battery pack on the back of the head but it uses Double
A which I think is a more common thing I can use with other items instead of triple A or some of these other random things. Its also crazy bright. It doesnt have a a color light like a red or green if that matters.

1000yrds

FNG
I have looked at the zebra lights before but am not interested in them because of the cost and no red or green light.

Rail505

FNG
I know this is an old thread but, i have a Surefire Maximus. You want to talk about bright?? Like Jeremy Clarkson said, “thats not a lightbar, thats a collapsed sun” rechargeable and has 1000 lumens. In the dead of the night it floods about 75ish yards all in front of me. And can go from 1-1000 lumens. Best headlamp ever.

rbljack

WKR
I have a couple zebralights and I also have the black diamond storm. I carry both. When I need stupid bright, I pull out the zebralight with the 18650 rechargeable battery. I use the storm for everything else. I like it because you can run it dim at camp and it has the button for instant bright, plus red and green lenses. Its been my favorite light for an all purpose light. The zebralight is super bright, but wont last long at the high setting.
The storm has a lock out mode which is nice. If you go with the zebralight, I make sure to partially unscrew the cap so the light doesn't get turned on inadvertently.