New here from MA, FL, and NY

I grew up hunting but didn't do much while living in cities in my 20's and 30's. Now back into it and making for lost time trying to do all different hunts. Lots of research searches lead me to Rokslide so it was time to join. Been archery hunting for past 5 years, mostly in upstate NY and Cape cod. Also spend time in FL and do some hunting and fishing there and did my first DIY western elk hunt this year. Lots of offshore fishing in Cape Cod and FL too.

Last edited:
Nice. How was your season? I traded the the prime bluefin season off Cape Cod for hunting out west this year but still had some good trips early and late season.
I did a pile of bass charters, 3 tuna trips got a 96 and broke one off. It’s tough with the two young kids giant fishing and being gone all day so I transitioned to bass charters mostly. I was in Wyoming for 2 weeks in October but it was after commercial was closed anyway so I didn’t miss anything. What do you have for a boat?

OP
O
I did a pile of bass charters, 3 tuna trips got a 96 and broke one off. It’s tough with the two young kids giant fishing and being gone all day so I transitioned to bass charters mostly. I was in Wyoming for 2 weeks in October but it was after commercial was closed anyway so I didn’t miss anything. What do you have for a boat?
Ah nice, so you guide? You fish commercial for tuna? If so, let's see a pic of that 96" fish!

I run a 30' Cobia cc based in Chatham on the Cape. Have fuel bladder and make at least 1 canyons run each year. Also take it to FL for a few months in the winter. My fav NE fishing is tuna on the spin.

Pic of my fav fish we got this year- a mahi in FL...
IMG_2110.jpg

Well I used to commercial tuna a lot more, now With the kids I’m spread so thin and would rather do charters and chase deer and elk. Yea I thought this year would be a bust but I was steady 2-4 trips a week on top of working 50+ hours at my work it was crazy busy, it rolled right into October. My cousin and her husband moved here from UT he just got a 31 contender and first trip out, his first time tuna fishing ever we got that fish mid august it was super thin only dressed like 340 but not bad for my first time going in 3 years. I have a hard time getting excited anymore with the prices, used to get 4-6 grand every fish now your lucky to get 2. Ive
Never landed one on spin gear I’ve broke a few off it’s so intense man. I’d love to eat some fresh mahi I’ve never had it. I run a 26 strike CC with a cummins 1585C665-13E6-4E53-A300-ADCD9AFB8422.png

OP
O
@Don Qui Puncher Nice fish - you spoiled your cousin getting that fish on his first trip!

Always down to connect with local hunters and fisherman, let me know if you're ever on Cape. I'll PM you,

Brendan

WKR
@Don Qui Puncher Nice fish - you spoiled your cousin getting that fish on his first trip!

Always down to connect with local hunters and fisherman, let me know if you're ever on Cape. I'll PM you,

Another Mass guy here too. Grew up in Marshfield and fishing Cape Cod Bay and then Casco Bay up in Maine, but no boat right now. Used to poach rides on my uncle's boat to hit the canyons south of the Vineyard and Nantucket.

Live in Medford now, shoot with @Don Qui Puncher from time to time on the North Shore, and make it out west every year as well.

Only thing I caught for fish this year was trout, but it was a great hunting year...

OP
O
Another Mass guy here too. Grew up in Marshfield and fishing Cape Cod Bay and then Casco Bay up in Maine, but no boat right now. Used to poach rides on my uncle's boat to hit the canyons south of the Vineyard and Nantucket.
Nice. Based on your profile pic I should be trading you fishing trips for archery elk hunting tips. My expensive MT elk and deer tag made terrible soup :)

Brendan

WKR
Nice. Based on your profile pic I should be trading you fishing trips for archery elk hunting tips. My expensive MT elk and deer tag made terrible soup :)
I've been going yearly since 2014 and had some success some years, but I've had that Montana tag soup twice too. Wondering when I'm up for another round of punishment there ;)

I'd share gas bills any time over the summer to get out fishing once or twice and I know my way around a boat - talking hunting is easy too! Either that or make the trek North of Boston some weekend to shoot and talk with @Don Qui Puncher and I...

CAD73

FNG
MA guy here and also new to the forum. Live in Marshfield... Green Harbor area. Member of the MRGC and shoot skeet, trap and 5-stand there.

Came home from a VT whitetail rifle season empty handed this year. Disappointing. 🙁

I'm always up for meeting local like minded folks if you're ever in "Mahsh-vegas". ;)

Brendan

WKR
MA guy here and also new to the forum. Live in Marshfield... Green Harbor area. Member of the MRGC and shoot skeet, trap and 5-stand there.

Came home from a VT whitetail rifle season empty handed this year. Disappointing.

I'm always up for meeting local like minded folks if you're ever in "Mahsh-vegas". ;)
My hometown! We had a house on the North River for 40 years. Was a MRGC member as well until about 4-5 years ago. Welcome aboard!