new hoyt or mathews

cdowns

FNG
I'm looking at picking up a new bow pretty soon. Just reading specs and seeing some reviews, I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the Mathews V3X 33 and the the Hoyt Ventum Pro 33. For the guys that have tried both, give me some feedback on the two bows. I don't have a shop very close where I can shoot both, so I've not been able to try them side by side. Not looking for a brand bashing or suggestions of other bows. If you don't want to post your negatives about the bows, please PM me. I'm just looking to get as much info about both as possible, from people who've shot them.

I had a Ventum 33 (2021 model) and I now own a V3X-33. Both are good bows. I shot both at 80%.

The Hoyt really liked a lot of back wall pressure. I already shoot with a lot of back tension so it wasn't a big deal for me.

The Hoyt is a heavy bow, with the little stubby stabilizer my complete bow was almost 7.5lbs. My V3X-33 is almost a pound lighter. The V3X-33 also balanced better for me.

Honestly you can't go wrong with either, but for me the Mathews is a better bow.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Just a suggestion, be sure to shoot last years V3. I recently shot the V3 and the V3X 33 side by side. I have a long draw length. The draw cycle actually felt a little better on the V3 for me than the V3X 33. Also , because the V3 is last years bow and they had some left over, it was actually cheaper than the V3X 33.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I have a V3X 33 and a couple year old RX4 Ultra Hoyt carbon bow (not a Ventum but its a Hoyt). They both are nice. The grip, for me, is superior on the Hoyt. The Mathews is quieter and less felt vibe. The Mathews seems more finicky with right and left misses (seems more torque sensitive). Both have decent draw cycles. Mathews is plenty fast. Mathews accessories are pretty expensive for the integrated stuff, I'm sure Hoyts stuff is too. My only real beef with the Mathews is the engage grip. It's not for me. Both should be similar to tune. All that said and as of now I shoot the Hoyt more accurately. My right and left is much much tighter with the Hoyt. Maybe im just ham fisted.

OP
C

cdowns

FNG
How’s the draw cycle on the V3X 33 compared to the VXR 31.5?

Zac

WKR
Not really much of a difference anymore since they are both binary cams and both use their own form of a top hat or shim. I may base your choice off of how fast you want to push your hunting arrow. The Mathews is fairly slow compared to the Hoyt.

a lot of its down to personal preference but the hoyts are louder more finicky to tune and will be slower than the mathews.i like their wrist angle on the grip better but mathews has a lot of aftermarket options.

Last edited:
The worst thing about the Mathews has been the engage grip. I didn't mind it at first, but I grew to not like it. The UV is a nice replacement, it gives just a little higher wrist than the factory, nice flat back (almost makes it an exact copy of the older hoyt grips). Shrewd makes an excellent grip too, but it's aluminum so can be colder to the touch, and doesn't have the shelf extension to help keep your hand from coming over the shelf, really it's a target grip, but offers a good bit of adjustment.

I'd personally select one based on the service from the shop. I don't think it's a huge amount of difference between them, but if it's two different pro-shops carrying them, I'd select the one that has better service and support.

OP
C

cdowns

FNG
Thanks guys for the info. I had to travel, but just made the decision to go to a shop that had both in stock. I was able to take some shots and although I had to trade an old bow I had to get it, I walked out with an RX7 Ultra. It’s possibly the most comfortable shooting bow I’ve had yet, time will tell after I get the set up complete and some reps through the bow.

Zac

WKR
The worst thing about the Mathews has been the engage grip. I didn't mind it at first, but I grew to not like it. The UV is a nice replacement, it gives just a little higher wrist than the factory, nice flat back (almost makes it an exact copy of the older hoyt grips). Shrewd makes an excellent grip too, but it's aluminum so can be colder to the touch, and doesn't have the shelf extension to help keep your hand from coming over the shelf, really it's a target grip, but offers a good bit of adjustment.

I'd personally select one based on the service from the shop. I don't think it's a huge amount of difference between them, but if it's two different pro-shops carrying them, I'd select the one that has better service and support.
A nice bonus with the UV grip is that you will suddenly have the correct draw length right after installation.

A nice bonus with the UV grip is that you will suddenly have the correct draw length right after installation.
Negative ghost rider.

Still long. At least everyone I have checked. Really doesn't add at the throat, just the heel.

It does tend to change it a little for the shooter tho, just doesn't actually change from the throat of the grip. It's hard to make up that 1/2".

Reactions: Zac

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
I shot them both many times before I bought a new bow this year. I liked the Hoyt much better than the Mathews. Draw cycle, grip, hold on target. Everything about it was better IMO.

CO-AJ

WKR
I just shot them side by side yesterday and went with the Mathews. As others have mentioned on here I felt the draw and the arrow release were smoother than the Hoyt by just a bit. No vibration on either and both were better than the other two bows I shot. In addition I like the mods system on the mathews for changing out draw weight. They are much cheaper than new limbs.

I just shot them side by side yesterday and went with the Mathews. As others have mentioned on here I felt the draw and the arrow release were smoother than the Hoyt by just a bit. No vibration on either and both were better than the other two bows I shot. In addition I like the mods system on the mathews for changing out draw weight. They are much cheaper than new limbs.
Feel the same way… and my first accessory ordered was the UV grip

ncavi8tor

WKR
Not really much of a difference anymore since they are both binary cams and both use their own form of a top hat or shim. I may base your choice off of how fast you want to push your hunting arrow. The Mathews is fairly slow compared to the Hoyt.
Not necessarily true depending on where you fall on Hoyt’s modules. My V3X33 is 6 fps faster than my Ventum 33 because I am on the bottom of the Hoyt module. The Switchweight modules are efficient at every draw length. Also, the top hats are much easier to deal with rather than eclips and plastic shims from my experience, albeit the concept is the same. I've owned every flagship Hoyt since 2013. Currently own 2 V3X's, Ventum 33, and a RX-4 Alpha. The V3X33 is the best holding and most accurate bow I have ever owned. It is a personal choice.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Zac