New Hunter Building up to Deer

Hi. I am a new middle-aged (you read that right) hunter. My daughter and myself recently got our hunting licenses here in SoCal. My desire is to hunt deer, and pig, but am having trouble getting advice on how and where to start. Our hunter safety instructor recommended finding someone to tag along with on a deer hunt, but that has proven fruitless. I have found someone who is letting us come with him dove hunting and duck hunting this fall. Can't wait for that. But help with larger game has been difficult. Most of the advice I get is to get a topo map and start scouting. This is what I will do if that is the only starting point I have, but anything a little more precise would be greatly appreciated. I know we are in the internet age, but a lot of the available media, again is pretty broad. Thanks in advance.

I’m no where near SoCal and so my advice may be a bit off based simply on that, but I would recommend joining a local fish and wildlife club. Spending time at the range and volunteering to help out at club events earns some credibility with folks who are would be mentors. Relationships with these folks could be a good inroad to some valuable instruction and input on how to eventually get out on your own, hunting deer and other big game.

Good luck and enjoy the process!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
It is worth it to get a guide - some places have "management hunts" - you guys can go and your daughter shoot something, you watch or vice versa. Maybe she shoots deer & you pig? Traveling often allows for additional hunting opportunities.

I have no idea what your local area offers.

Ever see a deer while hiking? About the same as hunting - go preseason and walk around til you find a deer or two. Then go again but head right to that area and walk around some more - figure out how they do their thing. Remember what the conditions are like - then go find another area similar to that and see if the deer are there. Often they will be. Presto you are a deer hunter. To make it more complicated just makes it complicated.

That’s awesome that you are getting into hunting. I think the advice you got was good—it’s very difficult to learn big game hunting by yourself. I’d be happy to point you in the right direction when it comes to scouting and finding places to hunt in California. What I would recommend, if you can afford it, is booking a guided hunt this fall. Tell your guide exactly what you are telling us and I’m sure he will help teach you some things. A pig hunt is going to be the cheapest option in CA and best chance for success. Pigs and deer are obviously different animals but a lot of it is the same. Good luck feel free to PM me with whatever questions you may have.

Edit: best pig hunts are going to take place in May/June when the barley crops farther north get brown and before they harvest. Might want to look into booking a hunt soon

BFR

WKR
What units are you looking at close to you? I hunted D8 for many years, primarily archery. Also A zone east of Cuyama.

wesfromky

WKR
I will 2nd finding a local club and putting in some time there. Also, check with CA fish and game and/or local QDMA to see if they have field to fork type programs. There is a very steep learning curve to hunting public land, so be prepared to spend a lot of time figuring out what works for you and your area..

I am also an adult onset deer hunter , and it took a few years of work to kill my first deer, and that would not have happened without a KY field to fork program, and more importantly, a few of the people at a club letting me hunt their stands/blinds and helping to get me started. I killed two the first year, and three last year, though should have been more.

Might not be what you are looking for, but there are probably other programs like this out there. I would love to attend, if just to learn how to be better at butchering and cooking:

I’m no where near SoCal and so my advice may be a bit off based simply on that, but I would recommend joining a local fish and wildlife club. Spending time at the range and volunteering to help out at club events earns some credibility with folks who are would be mentors. Relationships with these folks could be a good inroad to some valuable instruction and input on how to eventually get out on your own, hunting deer and other big game.

Good luck and enjoy the process!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome. There is some good advice here. I basically started 5 years ago though I had a base of hunting experience From my youth, although not big game.

A few thoughts:

- a club is a good option
- getting on a lease group may help but I don’t know socal.
- there are a few good books - a set of the Steve renella meateater guides are awesome
- a butchering class - pig or goat - is worthwhile
- a reasonably priced guided hunt is a great way to get your feet wet. Managment bucks or does in areas that require control. Pigs. Easier and cheaper to find these hunts.
- hike in hunting areas pre season. Learn water spots, food, travel patterns. Pick out ambush sites.
- get in the woods. Between you and success is a good bit of persistence and some failure so start soon and hunt often. Before you know it, you will have it figured out.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
As a California hunter, welcome man! Good deer hunting spots are incredibly rare in CA, so even to go with someone else can prove difficult unless that person is already a good friend.

My advice is to choose a zone you can get a deer tag for, big enough to hike around and get away from other hunters(or at least most of them).

Process of elimination. Go to places and hike, sit down for an hour and glass with binos. Look for deer tracks.

Look at the deer zone descriptions the DFW put out on their website. They usually list the mountains and areas that traditionally deer live or migrate to. I have found these places to often hold deer and don't always have many hunters willing to hike that mountain, especially if you have to travel off trail for a little ways. Check out a couple of these places and you'll start seeing deer. Low buck densities might mean you won't see many bucks right away, but keep at it!

Good Luck!

Azone

WKR
Lots of good information mentioned already. I would recommend a guided hog hunt. Its gonna be a big help learning the ins and outs from an experienced person. Watching someone field dress and skin a few pigs will be a giant help versus doing it on your own the first time or two. It all comes with time man, the main thing is have fun and be safe. Im north of you up on the central coast, feel free to shoot me a PM if the need arises.

Fitzwho

WKR
Same kind of thing that everybody has said above. A guided pig hunt would be a very good idea in your situation. Make sure its a spot and stalk type of situation, not sitting water or anything like that. Get that knowledge, watch other videos on breaking down animals for a pack out as well.

Like Jimmy said. Find a unit that's close to home and you know you can get a deer tag in, maybe a couple, and spend some time this spring and summer just camping and hiking in those areas. Bring binos with you and do a little glassing, but otherwise just get comfortable in the areas and with your camping equipment. Just try to pay attention to animal sign and watch for deer. Then pick up your tag and go and do the same trip, just with a rifle in hand. Don't be scared or discouraged to eat some tags. There's plenty of us on here that eat much more expensive tags than resident deer tags every year. I personally didn't fill 3 tags, this past fall alone, that I had about $1400 invested in total. It's just part of it.

BuckHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
Perfect time of year to get started. Get a copy of game regulations and identify a unit within a reasonable distance from home. Get onx maps or one of the other apps that shows public ground. Drive out and start hiking looking for sheds! Calling a local biologist is a good lead too...

As it is such a large area, where in So Cal are you? I could write so much here. Unfortunately, I need to get to sleep, and right now my schedule is exceptionally busy. However, I would be willing to chat via phone or possibly meet and chat.

OP
T
As it is such a large area, where in So Cal are you? I could write so much here. Unfortunately, I need to get to sleep, and right now my schedule is exceptionally busy. However, I would be willing to chat via phone or possibly meet and chat.
I'm in North Orange County. Would love to chat with you about this. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
T
You don't know (or maybe you do) how encouraging these replies are. So far, the local guys I have talked to have been pretty tight lipped, and I totally understand. I have a long story behind getting here (nothing too dramatic, just long), and have been waiting for many years to get to this point. I very much appreciate all the advice you folks have given me. I would be glad to talk to anyone in person or via PM, or anything. I will defniatley put all of your advice to use. Thank you.

OP
T
Would you still be willing to chat with me on this?

Take it from someone in similar shoes to yourself(didn’t start hunting until I was 27, no friends/family that hunt) - it’s simultaneously easier and harder than people on the internet make it out to be.

Id recommend starting slow - you say you have duck/dove hunts lined up with a friend... that’s perfect. My first season was solo - small game only. It’ll get your feet wet with hunting as many states have pretty liberal small game seasons. It should also get you guys successful and learning to clean animals. It’ll give you a good first look at what’s involved and you can decide if it’s something you want to keep doing from there.

I’m not sure how California’s deer population is - but I’d recommend going to a “target rich” environment for your first big game hunt. I don’t know about you, but I learn more and faster when I actually have encounters with the animals vs. wandering around in the woods wondering what I’m doing wrong(and trust me I did a ton of that). Whether that means hunting out of state or driving 8 hours to a different part of your state to hunt. I realize that hunting nearby is usually the answer, but as a beginner trust me when I say you’re gonna learn a lot faster when you actually have encounters.

With that said, I’d also be wary of any advice handed out on the internet - not that everyone is out to hand out bad information, but if you’re asking about hunting in someone’s area I’ve had more than one person try to throw me off from hunting somewhere.

Finally, and this may go without saying but I’m gonna say it anyway - please, if anyone shares any places with you keep them to yourself.

Good luck. I’m excited to see how your first season turns out!

jlh42581

WKR
I honestly think it might be best to learn hunting on your own. You dont pick up others habits and style you form your own opinion and tactics.

The key to any successful hunting is understanding wind, habitat and animal behavior. Beyond that its grinding it out and putting in work.

I think for one you might need to adjust your expectations. Many hunting shows make it seem like you go out and kill something every hunt, and if that’s not happening you’re just in the wrong spot.

You‘re in a very highly populated area with what I’d assume are limited public hunting opportunities. It might take you 3 years of hunting regularly to build up knowledge enough that you’re successful.

I‘d start by picking an area within a range that you can drive to regularly. 100 acres thats 30 minutes away is better than 10,000 acres that’s a 3 hour drive while you’re learning.

Make sure you understand the basics, being watching your wind, bedding and feeding areas. Look for tracks. When you find them, sit and watch, or put up cameras.

You‘ll probably have more luck with a friend letting you tag along to a private lease in exchange for some work than hunting public. There are VERY few people I’m willing to take to my spots, the reason they are good is lower hunting pressure.