New hunter, gear questions

Gunning5

WKR
Hi guys,

I posted a question last week and got tons of great replies about buying my first tree stand. Much appreciated and I really value this community, so thanks.

Question for this week is around gear. Being new to hunting I've been reading tons, and learning a lot but wanted to hear from you guys around hunting gear. Besides bow/rifle and tree stand, what would you is on your on top 5 gear list?

Thanks!

I think your gear list is going to accommodate the type of area/terrain you hunt. Some guys won't leave home without binos strapped to their chest. I hunt brushy, close quarters so mine usually stay in the pack.

I'd say a quality rangefinder should be at the top of that list. You don't have to spend $1000 but you don't want to cheap out either.

Second would be clothing. I see my clothing as gear. If I can't withstand the conditions, I won't put the time in the woods.

Good luck to you!

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Clothing/boots if you want to consider that gear is #1. Other things for me are a quality set of binoculars, and a good knife.

TSAMP

WKR
You see alot of responses referencing "quality _____" not knocking it, but a person 10 years in the sport vs a newb have different expectations. For an entry level hunter, especially in the whitetail world. You can really get far with very little. Thus learning through your own experience what you find worthy of an upgrade. You have a treestand. So go buy rubber boots and any camo. You'll sort it.

nobody

WKR
I always tell people there are 4 items that no hunter should skimp on or go without. These are the 4 that I've seen most handicap people in the field and impede not only success, but enjoyment and ability to hunt effectively. They are, in no particular order:

1. Boots
2. Weapon System (Rifle/Scope Combo or Bow/Rangefinder Combo)
3. Backpack/Pack System
4. Binoculars

You can hunt in cheap walmart camo and never use a spotting scope and NEVER shoot further than 300 yards. You never "need" a slider site on your bow. But you NEED good boots (type can vary based upon the terrain, weather, and game you're after), you NEED a weapon system you can trust and be confident in, you NEED (I feel) a pair of binoculars that are versatile (8x would be great for everything you would do and could potentially work out west easily), and you NEED a way to carry a rain jacket and maybe your lunch and snacks and field dressing kit. Everything else you can get by without largely, but those 4 things I listed above are the things I see screw up most people and hurt them when they either don't have them or don't have good ones.

Boots and clothes that you'll be comfortable in. Since you said you're hunting 15 acres of private you'll do fine with a $40 walmart special backpack for now.

What state are you in? That makes a difference. If it's not real cold, pac boots or insulated rubber boots should be plenty in a warmer climate. Comfortable non insulated or hiking boots plus boot blankets for northern climates will keep your feet warm. I buy a whole pile of hand/foot warmers. Warm gloves and shooting dont go together so I always have handwarmers in a muff or jacket/bibs pocket to keep my hands toasty.

greenomics

Lil-Rokslider
As a Kansas hunter, I can get cold really fast sitting in a tree stand when the wind is up. Good jacket and bibs are important.

Doesn't take much to hunt midwest whitetails.

Rich M

WKR
I hunt in jeans and flannel/fleece most of the time. Make sure you dress for the occasion - I've been known to hunt snow and wind with jeans. long johns, flannel/fleece and breathable raincoat - basically same thing as a parka.

As a whole most guys carry way too much stuff. all you really need is a gun, knife, and way to start a fire in an emergency.

If you are talking about hunting gear - for whitetails i do not glass, it is usually stand hunting, but if there was 1 thing I always use, it is a face mask - something to keep your face from shining when you look around.

Lotsa folks saying to bring binoculars - if you aren't glassing out west and aren't trying to measure "inches" on the antlers, binoculars are pretty much useless until you are bored and want to watch birds or a small buck harass does.

Last edited:

FLS

WKR
Binos
Rangefinder
Clothing. I killed a lot of deer (100+)in a pair of Lacrosse burleys, BDU pants and a long sleeve T shirt, before I ever heard of “technical” hunting clothing. IMO it’s not that critical. It needs to be comfortable and quiet. Fleece pullover it it’s cold. Add insulated bibs if it’s really cold.

22lr

WKR
I'll be that guy, a nice safety harness is nice, and if its easier and more comfortable then you will wear it more often.

As said a few times. My top 5 for a stand hunt would probably be
-Nice harness
-Boots/socks
-Gloves
-Binoculars
-Nice beenie and neck gaiter

I used mil-surp and Walmart special gear for years, it works for most treestand conditions. The hard stuff is sitting for long periods with cold feet, cold hands or cold ears. Cold feet mean your gonna want to move em around to try and get blood flowing... movement = sound. Same with gloves. You can add cheap base layers and get them to work pretty effectively. But I never found a way to make cheaper boots, gloves and hats to really work for longer periods of time in the late season.

Binoculars
Rangefinder
Quality Safety Harness
Bow Hanger
Quality coat and BIBS (not pants).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
I’m going clothes before bino and rangefinder. Neither of those do any good when your froze out and headed back to the truck

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
Realistically. You don’t even need a range finder. If you are hunting a 15 acre piece of property you are not taking long rifle shots. It’s not possible. Zero your rifle at 200 yards and you will be within a couple inches of zero out to 250 yards.
For archery you can simply measure distance from your tree stand to certain areas and mark out 30 yards. Do it my memory or with a small piece of flagging tape.
A comfortable safety harness and a lifeline from the ground to platform.
Buy good waterproof, warm boots.
Any clothing to stay warm.
Sharp knife
Headlamp
And a $10 Walmart backpack is plenty good
A halfway decent pair of 8x binoculars should be plenty good. Unless you are a trophy hunter. A “shooter” buck is quickly apparent to the hunter

I highly recommend a good pair of socks and boots first and foremost. I just invested in alpha burly pros and they are incredible. Warm and comfortable. Add a few pieces of clothing each year to the Arsenal!

ckstites

FNG
You can spend a small fortune on gear (ask my wife). Start low budget and if you get hooked, add more each season - great birthday/fathers day gifts (we have enough sweaters)!

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I think comfort is #2 behind safety. Assuming you have a good stand and harness, find a way to stay warm. Treestand hunting is a waiting game, and staying warm, quiet and still is what is going to kill animals. You don't need to spend a fortune to do it, but it doesn't hurt.

edit to add that a good seat cushion, a thick ThermaSeat is probably $15, and goes a long way in keeping you warm. If your feet get cold, another one to put your feet on could help a lot.

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Hi guys,

I posted a question last week and got tons of great replies about buying my first tree stand. Much appreciated and I really value this community, so thanks.

Question for this week is around gear. Being new to hunting I've been reading tons, and learning a lot but wanted to hear from you guys around hunting gear. Besides bow/rifle and tree stand, what would you is on your on top 5 gear list?

Thanks!
Lots of good posts already, so I'm piling on here.
  • Clothing and boots - like @hollarhorns and others, depending on where you hunt, and whether you can withstand cold easily, your clothing could be jeans, or it may need to be technical. I hunt from a deer stand and have issues with brutal cold, so I spent a good bit on my cold weather deer clothing. My buddy finally got my attention - he said the best way to increase your chance of shooting a deer is to be in the stand longer, so if you spend $X on your rifle/bow/binos, but skimp on (or take for granted) your clothing and boots and as a result have to climb out too early, you will regret it.
  • Harness - agree totally, and I will admit I've not always worn one. But, after suffering a recent traumatic brain injury (bicycle accident), I will never go without a harness again.
  • Binos - I agree they may not be as useful compared to western hunting, and each year I debate whether to leave them when I go to the stand. BUT, if you are hunting first and/or last light, binos might help you see more detail that you could with just your eyes.
  • Rangefinder - your post above makes it sound like you may hunt with a bow. If so, I think the RF is very important. Not everyone is great at knowing the difference between 25 and 35 yards, and the difference in archery is important. If you can measure out the distances in advance, that's great, but it isn't always feasible (IMHO), especially in the increments *I* need!
Note - although you can spend incredible amounts on the above and other items in this thread, I don't think you have to. The classifieds on RS have great deals, and there are some good quality manufacturers of the above that don't have to be top of the line.

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
Some great advice above. I'll add to it based on my experience of budget hunting for years. My list is applicable to upper midwest with cold being the driving factor!

Rangefinder or binos are not necessary if you're just getting into hunting.
Safety harness is a prerequisite, not something to rank on a list!
Most/all modern bows and rifles will kill a deer so I won't rank those either.

So, here is my take:
1-insulating layers that will keep your core warm. These don't need to be fancy namebrand, but wool is worth it
2-handwarmer muff. I won't sit in a stand without it. You can wear thinner gloves and shoot well, and still have warm hands.
3-Good warm boots or boot covers
4-Outerwear
5-Bow Hanger

Don't get hung up on gear too much. Just go hunt!