New hunter, gear questions

For me the single most to get specific for stand hunting whitetail was my muck arctic pro boots to keep my feet warm and dry keeps me On stand all day if I want. Sounds odd but you could have a ten thousand dollar rifle doesn't matter because if your not warm and comfortable you will never be in the woods to use it.

Michael54

WKR
If i were you id try rifle hunting first as you don't have to get nearly as close to them and its easier. You can usually put a decent scope/rifle package together for under $550. Ruger american, thompson center compass, tikka, weatherby vanguard are all affordable rifles that shoot extremely well. Go for a caliber that you can take elsewhere 7mm08, .270, 30-06, 7mm rem mag range. That way you won't be under gunned if you want to hunt somewhere that you have the opportunity to take longer shots. Scopes id go with a basic 3x9x40 with a reticle you like. Redfield revolution, leupold rifleman, vortek diamondback, or even a nikon prostaff if you can find one are more than adequate. I'd roughly guess over 80% of whitetails are shot inside 200 yards. At least here in pa they are. Binos you can get by with a cheap pair of 8x32's. I use leupold yosemites when i'm whitetail hunting. They cost me around $100. If you don't have antler restrictions in your area you can probably skip the binos. Im sure you own a pocketknife and some rope. If you get one gut it, drag it out, and take it to the local processor. Get yourself a cheap ground blind and a decent swivel chair, dress warm and call it a year. See if you like it before you worry about the rest of the stuff.

I'll go off the board a little with 5 things I love that might not get suggested...

-First Lite Talus half finger merino gloves - warm, not bulky, cheap. best gloves I've owned. Pair with merino liners and my hands are warm down to 0. Have extra pairs for around the house in winter.
-USB phone charger/hand warmer - will wear under my jackets at times as a core heater
-Arctic Shield Boot Blankets - allow me to wear 1 pair of leather boots in any condition
-Black Ovis Merino Base layers - base layers are huge and these are affordable and work great
-Mid layer with thumb loops, hood, and neck coverage-I've had FL Chama, Kryptek Cronos, & now Stone Glacier Helio. The versatility of this layer makes it my favorite piece of clothing. When it's 50-60 can roll up sleeves & open zipper to vent heat. Colder days and the hood becomes a built in hat & gaiter and the thumb loops do a great job of keeping your hands and arms warm.

Gear that has more than one use is huge.

Lkiek2020

FNG
Boots!!! It took me a long time before I finally spent money on multiple pairs of boots to match the changing weather. For years I used cheap rubber boots no matter the weather and suffered with cold feet. Spend money on good boots of various insulation and type and be comfortable in the stand. Comfort = longer sits!

sektr

FNG
1. Good boots and clothes (spring for a high quality base layer and good winter boots especially, and depending on location a good windbreaker).

2. Weapon system of choice

3. Rangefinder if bow hunting

4. Binoculars, 8x for what you're doing. An 8x30 or 8x32 is lightweight and packable, and if you can afford something in the $500+ range they'll be plenty bright.

rootacres

WKR
SAFTEY HARNESS (you don't need anything fancy, I have a couple and use my cheap muddy as preference)

1.) Binos 10x42 (upgrade as you can afford more)
2.) Rangefinder with angle compensation
3.) Baselayer/clothing system/boots
4.) Bow Hanger
5.) Pack

If you can stay warm/comfortable you will stay in the woods longer and enjoy yourself. An $1800 bow and $2500 binos won't help you at all if you can't wait to get out.