New Hunter in Idaho

exppi

FNG
Hope your season is going well. I am still exploring Idaho having relocated last year but I am not new to western hunting. I agree with others about spending time glassing.

I have gotten out a few times this season so far. My son's sports activities limit me to day hunts for now and he likes to tag along. It's a lot of fun. I am NW Boise if you ever want to meet up.

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
Hope your season is going well. I am still exploring Idaho having relocated last year but I am not new to western hunting. I agree with others about spending time glassing.

I have gotten out a few times this season so far. My son's sports activities limit me to day hunts for now and he likes to tag along. It's a lot of fun. I am NW Boise if you ever want to meet up.

I would down for meeting up some time!

Theres some great resources on the board. I am in year 4 of big game hunting. I've had some success, largely by luck. I've hiked a lot and seen nothing, and driven down a road and got lucky.

There is no replacement for getting out and just hiking. I've learned a ton and still know very little.

I'm in Nampa. Generally, the further you get from Boise the better for hunting spots.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
I'm shooting for a morning hunt next Sunday and that will be my last till rifle season. This new job and rugby have me pretty solidly booked up bit I'd be down for a beer soon to meet up!

I'm shooting for a morning hunt next Sunday and that will be my last till rifle season. This new job and rugby have me pretty solidly booked up bit I'd be down for a beer soon to meet up!
Need to get your priorities straight. ;-)

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
Theres some great resources on the board. I am in year 4 of big game hunting. I've had some success, largely by luck. I've hiked a lot and seen nothing, and driven down a road and got lucky.

There is no replacement for getting out and just hiking. I've learned a ton and still know very little.

I'm in Nampa. Generally, the further you get from Boise the better for hunting spots.

I have a lot to learn still with mountain hunting. We all could learn a lot from each other. Need to get a time set up for all of us to meet up.

I have a lot to learn still with mountain hunting. We all could learn a lot from each other. Need to get a time set up for all of us to meet up.
I'm down.

BHA meeting is probably the easiest. Just tough to do during hunting season. Or IWF or IMDF.

That being said, there is no replacement for boots in the mountains.

Boardmstr

FNG
Lots of good advice given so far. It sounds like you are on the right track by taking the initiative to learn. There is no substitute for sweat equity. Get out there, be patient and persistent. Spend the next off season learning their habits. Research what they eat, where they feel comfortable, and how they live. Get ahold of a biologist after you do your research to ask questions. Don’t expect them to give out free candy but they can provide great answers to questions you have, even regarding your specific area. Keep notes on where you see animals or signs and when. Over the years everything you learn will be much easier to track and identify patterns if you put it to paper. Be friendly and social when the opportunity presents itself. That elderly man at the next camp over most likely didn’t get that limp by road hunting his whole life. Most importantly, don’t forget to pass it along to the young guy putting in the effort as he tries to figure it out once you’ve earned a limp yourself!

2AMedic

FNG
I’ll be hunting outside of Boise this season. First trip to Idaho so I’m pretty excited. Good luck out there and make good use of those quad the lord gave you!

Hey, just come across this very informative thread. How'd it go Sunday?

Seems like u met some good people on here. You've had better luck than me lol. I'm also new to ID (Meridian). Been trying to get to know people who also hunt, but it's quite a tough circle to get into.

Let us know how your season goes. I'm curious. Can't wait for rifle season. Looking at 43 and 44.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ID_Matt

WKR
Hey, just come across this very informative thread. How'd it go Sunday?

Seems like u met some good people on here. You've had better luck than me lol. I'm also new to ID (Meridian). Been trying to get to know people who also hunt, but it's quite a tough circle to get into.

Let us know how your season goes. I'm curious. Can't wait for rifle season. Looking at 43 and 44.

Might double check the regs on 44.... draw only with steep odds. Unless you drew it... then I wouldn't even bat an eye at 43 haha.

Might double check the regs on 44.... draw only with steep odds. Unless you drew it... then I wouldn't even bat an eye at 43 haha.
Not sure what I was thinking. Did not draw a controlled in 44. Been looking so much at 43 on OnX that "44" must have been ingrained in my head for some reason

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
I haven't had a chance yet, between my new job and my wife's photography I haven't had a free weekend. I am really hoping I can sneak a morning or two in this rifle season but only time will tell.

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
Rifle sighted and ready to go! Hoping this weather will let up in the morning but either way I'm going to hit it hard.

exppi

FNG
Congrats. I went bird hunting today and did well. Glad to get the rust off. I am headed out in the morning as well. Best of luck.

I'm planning on heading out this weekend for the first time. Going in blind, so might just be a scouting trip.

Seeing how there's a good chance I will eat my rifle tag, I'm trying to gauge the interest on here to see if any of you are willing to partner up and go on an archery hunt or two in unit 39. Archery is open 11/10 - 11/30.

If interested, feel to free to chime in or PM.

Arturo

nphunter

WKR
I'm planning on heading out this weekend for the first time. Going in blind, so might just be a scouting trip.

Seeing how there's a good chance I will eat my rifle tag, I'm trying to gauge the interest on here to see if any of you are willing to partner up and go on an archery hunt or two in unit 39. Archery is open 11/10 - 11/30.

If interested, feel to free to chime in or PM.

Arturo

I'm heading to ID in two days for a week to rifle deer hunt with my two boys. I have done that late mule deer hunt for the last 4 years and may run over again this year if I don't fill my tag. The late archery hunt is a blast, I doubt I will make it back out there this year but if you put in much effort you should do well, lots of deer and lots of bucks as well. You will see way more deer down low in the breaks and lowlands but the doe to buck ratios down there are like 100:1. If you hunt the timber you will see far less deer but you will be looking at closer to 20:1 ratios.