New Hunter in Idaho

I'm heading to ID in two days for a week to rifle deer hunt with my two boys. I have done that late mule deer hunt for the last 4 years and may run over again this year if I don't fill my tag. The late archery hunt is a blast, I doubt I will make it back out there this year but if you put in much effort you should do well, lots of deer and lots of bucks as well. You will see way more deer down low in the breaks and lowlands but the doe to buck ratios down there are like 100:1. If you hunt the timber you will see far less deer but you will be looking at closer to 20:1 ratios.
Good to hear, thanks! I'm hoping they start to move to lower elevation soon. Sounds like there are resident deer in those lowlands also. As long as I see some deer, I'll be happy haha. Good luck to you and the boys

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
I might game for that! Depending on work/life haha

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
Is there any advice for hunting cow elk? I am headed up this weekend with a buddy to a recommended spot. Is it just glass my arse off or is there anything I should be doing to better my odds?

exppi

FNG
Other than glassing, be ready to move. Elk can cover some distance and you might need to move to find where they are.

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
Well, my elk hunt was a bust. Absolutely no life in the area we hunted. Elk sign that was probably a month old but nothing fresh. Glassed for miles and miles with no sign.
Pretty bummed as I had higher Hope's for this one.

Just realized that 39 is still open for archery till the end of the month, if I can talk my wife into letting me go just one more morning I might try and hit something in the area. Any chance anyone here has experience in this area?

Well, my elk hunt was a bust. Absolutely no life in the area we hunted. Elk sign that was probably a month old but nothing fresh. Glassed for miles and miles with no sign.
Pretty bummed as I had higher Hope's for this one.

Just realized that 39 is still open for archery till the end of the month, if I can talk my wife into letting me go just one more morning I might try and hit something in the area. Any chance anyone here has experience in this area?

Where did you go and find nothing? Generally speaking

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
Went up towards Challis, there was a ton of deer in the valleys but absolutely no life in the hills.

36a cow tag.

36b is pretty difficult IME. Small hunt area and if they’re not on private it can be hard to find them.

36a shouldn’t be as tough. Not a slam dunk but fairly doable. There’s some private aspect to navigate there as well. PM me if you want to chat 36a.

36b is pretty difficult IME. Small hunt area and if they’re not on private it can be hard to find them.

36a shouldn’t be as tough. Not a slam dunk but fairly doable. There’s some private aspect to navigate there as well. PM me if you want to chat 36a.
Hunted elk in Sept in 36b. Definitely tough to find them, but did see 2 one day and came close. The only semi productive day out of a 6 day hunt.

People in town mentioned a wolf problem a few yrs back so that might have something to do with it, among other factors. Lots of deer on private though

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
Off some recommendations I have decided to try and fill my elk tag Saturday morning!
I started a new thread in the elk section so hopefully I can glean a little more knowledge before I head out!

flemdogg

Lil-Rokslider
Best advice I know is do not compare yourself to others or their success. Everyone is at different points in their "hunting career". Have fun with it!

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
I'm still trying to remind myself that I'm at a beginner's level with this and when I eat my tag soup this week to take that time to reflect on what I learned. Cry a bit. Then start planning for next year.
Going to also try and start filling my freezer with upland and birds now.

I'm still trying to remind myself that I'm at a beginner's level with this and when I eat my tag soup this week to take that time to reflect on what I learned. Cry a bit. Then start planning for next year.
Going to also try and start filling my freezer with upland and birds now.
Yep. Birds and bunnies for a little while longer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk