New hunter in idaho

MrWolf

FNG
Hey guys, I've had some great help in the mule deer section but figured I should post here as well. I have linked the thread below incase you want to get some history and see what/where I've been as a first time hunter.
I have one last day to hunt, even then it's a half day. Off several recommendations I'm going to try and fill my Pioneer A elk tag. I went last weekend with a friend towards Challis and it was beyond dead for elk, after two days of hard glassing and moving to different vantage points we saw nothing.
I'm headed out saturday morning for a half day (got to be back in boise by 2/3) and am curious if anyone could possibly throw some pointers or even areas to look my way. I have to be on or within 1 mile of private agriculture land for my cow and having only once hunted elk now and not really having any experience on what/where to look I'm getting a bit worried my last chance will be fruitless. Im hoping with some gleaned knowledge from experienced hunters I can sweeten up the odds of putting meat in the freezer and only eat my deer tag if possible.
If your not comfortable posting it publicly and just want to PM me I am all ears!

Here is my other thread in Mule deer.

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
It is! But I've got one chance left to fill a freezer and was told that's a lot better odds then archery in 39!

BullElk

FNG
I hope you have the map/Avenza on your phone for that specific hunt. It’s a pretty big area and honestly you should be able to shoot a cow extremely easy there. Have fun!

jz1

FNG
I have the pioneer b tag and am headed up this weekend. I’d be happy to share some info but have no idea how to send a private message. I’ve been a lurker on this site for awhile and as a newer hunter myself haven’t had much to share to help others out. Message me and hopefully I can figure out how to respond.

IDLassie

FNG
Easy my BACKSIDE!! Last year they had a smaller hunt unit and everyone decided to be on the same road doing laps.
This season hardly any hunters where we were last year but with this mild weather the elk have gone beyond beyond. Haven't seen a elk in the distance anywhere since the hunt opened.

Now before you tell me to get off my backside. I'm dealing with knee surgery that isn't wanting to cooperate. Or I would be doing something else other than sitting on this computer.

We need some weather to move the elk around.

exppi

FNG
Easy my BACKSIDE!! Last year they had a smaller hunt unit and everyone decided to be on the same road doing laps.
This season hardly any hunters where we were last year but with this mild weather the elk have gone beyond beyond. Haven't seen a elk in the distance anywhere since the hunt opened.

Now before you tell me to get off my backside. I'm dealing with knee surgery that isn't wanting to cooperate. Or I would be doing something else other than sitting on this computer.

We need some weather to move the elk around.
It's looks like some is coming next week. I am heading out after Thanksgiving once the weather hopefully turns.

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
I'm using Gaia for a map currently.
It is a huge area but I'm restricted to being on or within 1mi of private ag land so that makes finding an area MUCH harder!
That's what I've heard, the lack of weather has really made the hunt this year bad. I wish I had a B tag because I have zero problem throwing several miles down a day in the backcountry.

BullElk

FNG
that's what makes hunting this state so amazing. I could hand you a golden ticket here if I chose to, but the other part of me thinks you need to do some exploring and see for yourself.

no need to preach to me about the unit or the hunt. I know it well. get off the road and away from everyone else and youll kill an elk. a mile is a long ways from that valley floor!!

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
that's what makes hunting this state so amazing. I could hand you a golden ticket here if I chose to, but the other part of me thinks you need to do some exploring and see for yourself.

no need to preach to me about the unit or the hunt. I know it well. get off the road and away from everyone else and youll kill an elk. a mile is a long ways from that valley floor!!

That's has been an amazing part of living here, I've thrown around 30mi down on these boots this season alone. I've gotten to see so many different types of land, and had to learn to hunt them. I put in the effort for sure this year and am looking forward to taking that knowledge into different areas next season while I find my preferred zones.
But with the end of the season quickly approaching that golden ticket sounds extremely enticing! Hahaha

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
Depends on where I'm going, I usually try and be parked an hour before I can shoot.
Yeah I'm down in the city slicker area.

IDLassie

FNG
Boise is a sewer! Have to be there 0530 Tuesday morning. No elk hunting for me.
Doctor has to manipulate the knee first thing that morning.
Did the surgery Sept 10 and it has been a pain.
Drove out to the hunting area last week and glassed and glassed and nothing no tracks in the old snow anywhere. Not sure where they've went but don't expect one to come jump in my pickup.
Looks like track soup. If I can find a track.
The sad part is I'm watching 70 head of cows/calves out my front window in a hay field daily. They won't move out and owners won't allow anyone in to hunt. I don't have a tag for this unit.
At least I'm looking at something.

Boise is a sewer! Have to be there 0530 Tuesday morning. No elk hunting for me.
Doctor has to manipulate the knee first thing that morning.
Did the surgery Sept 10 and it has been a pain.
Drove out to the hunting area last week and glassed and glassed and nothing no tracks in the old snow anywhere. Not sure where they've went but don't expect one to come jump in my pickup.
Looks like track soup. If I can find a track.
The sad part is I'm watching 70 head of cows/calves out my front window in a hay field daily. They won't move out and owners won't allow anyone in to hunt. I don't have a tag for this unit.
At least I'm looking at something.
Darn owners won't allow hunting but I bet they complain about crop damage..same ol b.s. that goes on around my area farmers squalk about crop damage and won't allow anyone to hunt other than immediate family or hired hands.

griff536

FNG
I'm using Gaia for a map currently.
It is a huge area but I'm restricted to being on or within 1mi of private ag land so that makes finding an area MUCH harder!
That's what I've heard, the lack of weather has really made the hunt this year bad. I wish I had a B tag because I have zero problem throwing several miles down a day in the backcountry.

Did you have any luck? PM me if you need any tips

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
No luck.
Saw tons of fresh sign but no life. I think I was up at my glassing point to late. There was so much fresh scat and tracks that I stalked the whole way up the hill and got up to my glass spot after the sun was up. I just didnt want to blow the area by moving too quick.

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
I'm still trying to remind myself that I'm at a beginner's level with this and when I eat my tag soup this week to take that time to reflect on what I learned. Cry a bit. Then start planning for next year.
Going to also try and start filling my freezer with upland and birds now.