New Hunter; Should I move the stand? Should I get a new stand?

caddis75

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all, I am a new hunter in PA, 4D. Thanks to all your past help with my bow. I have it tuned and it shoots well out to 30 yards. This is my first archery season, second in total, and I just spent the first day in my stand on public land, and I have questions:

I got my stand for free. It is quite heavy, and small, and uncomfortable. I chose a spot about .2 miles from a dirt road on public land. It is a simple seat, small platform, and ladder from Field and Stream.

1. I chose my stand to look over a well-worn deer trail with lots of scrapes. I don't have a range finder, so I measured out some shots based on the trusty Pythagorean theorem and the deer trail is an 11-yard shot from my stand. I have good concealment behind me and to my left, but no concealment in front of me or to my right. Deer can see me from about 150 yards to my South up a mountain and West along a fence line. Should I move it? I am thinking of moving it closer to the creek towards the thick area of sticker bushes. It was a pain to drag in and set up, so I may just buy another stand that is more mobile.

2. I spent a day in my stand -6 am -7 pm and had two issues. I was cold as heck (Low 42, high 55, I had on medium socks, Hanwag boots, Kuiu attack pants, a light merino top, a Kuiu peloton top, light gloves, and a light hat. It was stupid, but that is all the camo I have. I was also extremely uncomfortable, the seat was tiny and the platform was super small. The most comfortable position for me was standing and leaning on the tree. I also didn't enjoy the free feeling I had. I have a muddy harness that hooks up to a tree strap. I did not feel comfortable if I fell asleep, so I climbed down and had a nap at the base of the tree. I know, but I was really tired.

3. Should I get a game cam? Is there a model that I can look at directly from my phone?

I know these new hunter posts must seem tiring, but I am learning solo so any help you can provide would be welcome.

Thank you.

Attachments

• FireShot Capture 211 - onXmaps Web App - webmap.onxmaps.com.png
    FireShot Capture 211 - onXmaps Web App - webmap.onxmaps.com.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 39

wayoh22

WKR
  1. I would never be 11yds off the trail, that seems somewhat close IMO. I’d be cautious of shooting high from that close. Most people set their first pin to 20-30yds depending on what sight you are running. Shooting on an angle is also going to influence that. Practice. And if you’re sitting still then you should be fine without having to move the stand.
  2. If that’s all the camo you have for the upcoming weather (NE hunter myself) you’re not going to last. Nothing against Kuiu but whitetail hunting isn’t their game. Doesn’t mean it can’t work but there are much better options depending on your budget. Plenty of threads on here that would recommend the proper layering and clothing. Heavyweight base layers will definitely be a must. Mid and outer layers can be a wide variety of things. Also sounds like the stand you have is not very good. If you’re uncomfortable maybe a new stand is in the future for you. Only you can make that decision. Getting a proper seat cushion is vital, I think as well as feeling safe. Your safety should be first and foremost.
  3. They make cellular cameras that will send pics/videos to your phone via a cell plan. I have never used one but again, plenty of threads on here that can help you narrow it down to a few choices. They are pricey though from what I’ve seen.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I have to agree with the 11 yards being too close. You’ll get busted more often, move back to 20 if you can.
The problem with hunting scrapes is, they may be nocturnal. A camera will tell you. I personally don’t use a cell camera, but that’s just me.
I would start looking at the classifieds for a good used name brand stand. They can be had cheap. I picked up a Summit Viper SD for $175 because the guy used it once and hated it.
Camo for stand sitting is different than what you wear out west. Took me awhile to convince my wife of that.
You can pick up Camo in the classifieds or eBay too.
I’ve slowly migrated to the Fanatic series from Sitka. I know it’s expensive, but I hate being cold in the stand. I start to fidget and end up getting down. Buy once, cry once. Fanatic may be too heavy for your temperature range right now.
Your Muddy harness will keep you safe. Trust me on that one.

Rich M

WKR
Get some long Johns and don't put your jacket on til your body cools down from the walk in.

No idea what kind of area you are Hunting. Keep bopping around t you find em. Ladder is nice but a summit climber will put you in more diff trees more easily.

t.hock63

FNG
Make the investment on a new stand that allows you to remain comfortable throughout the day to minimize movement. 👍🏻

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t stress enough some of the points make already. One, you must be comfortable in stand. Otherwise you will not last, or will move too much. Get a better stand.
Buy warm clothes and don’t put them on until you get to stand and cool down. (It took a long time for me to figure this one out.) Do it now, or learn it later. Eventually you will end up here.
I also prefer 20 yards off a trail. Ideally with hemlock or pine trees behind me to break up my silhouette.

OP
C

caddis75

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t stress enough some of the points make already. One, you must be comfortable in stand. Otherwise you will not last, or will move too much. Get a better stand.
Buy warm clothes and don’t put them on until you get to stand and cool down. (It took a long time for me to figure this one out.) Do it now, or learn it later. Eventually you will end up here.
I also prefer 20 yards off a trail. Ideally with hemlock or pine trees behind me to break up my silhouette.
Thanks. I'm working on warmer clothes and a new stand. Last weekend I walked in with just a base layer and then put on clothes, which worked much better. I plan on moving my stand shortly.

Last edited:

Quackshack

Lil-Rokslider
I would look for a climbing stand. As mentioned, Summit makes some nice stands. Mine has a sling style seat that I can fall asleep in and not worry about falling. That will give you so many more options for set ups. Maybe you sit the morning and move at noon to another spot. Ideally you want enough cover to draw your bow undetected, but enough shooting lanes for a shot.

I have left my stand overnight on Pa public land with no issues. A simple cable lock isn't 100% protection, but I figure they wont want to go for a cable cutters and come back for it.

Good luck. I started hunting a large Pa Game Land about 15 years ago, it takes a few years to figure the deer and other hunters out. Keep at it and no doubt you will be successful!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
C

caddis75

Lil-Rokslider
I would look for a climbing stand. As mentioned, Summit makes some nice stands. Mine has a sling style seat that I can fall asleep in and not worry about falling. That will give you so many more options for set ups. Maybe you sit the morning and move at noon to another spot. Ideally you want enough cover to draw your bow undetected, but enough shooting lanes for a shot.

I have left my stand overnight on Pa public land with no issues. A simple cable lock isn't 100% protection, but I figure they wont want to go for a cable cutters and come back for it.

Good luck. I started hunting a large Pa Game Land about 15 years ago, it takes a few years to figure the deer and other hunters out. Keep at it and no doubt you will be successful!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the ideas and encouragement!

I personally would recommend a hang on, you can put them in nearly any tree and the noise of a climber going up always throws me off and I’m soaked by the time I’m up high enough.