New Hunting Build Optic Choice

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to beat this horse again. Just got my new AG Composites stock on first custom rifle and now just need to decide on optic. It is a Lone Peak Razor Ti, Proof Sendero Light, CE trigger, and AG Composites stock. Chambered in 300 win mag. Currently has ARC 30 mm rings but might remove the Ti rail/rings and put hawnkins lightweights if need something other than 30mm.

I currently have a new 3-15x44 VX5HD just mounted on a 7mm that I can use or will have to buy another optic. Not too worried about weight as I want this optic to be reliable and rugged. I dial but only hunt so it won't be getting too big a workout. At least 15x on the top end and doesn't need to be FFP. Won't take any shot over 600 more than likely. What do you think?

LParms.jpg

ChrisAU

WKR
Red Hawk rifles has demo Zeiss V6 3-18x50's with the ZBR reticle for $1249. I have the 5-30 and its the most robust scope I've ever handled. Granted, I don't have a ton of exprience with the higher end NF options.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
At least 15x on the top end and doesn't need to be FFP. Won't take any shot over 600 more than likely. What do you think?

If you’re not shooting past 600, why 15x?

Rugged and reliable?

Nightforce NXS, ATACR, SHV 4-14x50mm F1
SWFA SS 3-9x42mm, 5-20x50mm, and 3-15x42mm MQ.

If you you can find one- the Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44mm would be a good choice.

Red Hawk rifles has demo Zeiss V6 3-18x50's with the ZBR reticle for $1249. I have the 5-30 and its the most robust scope I've ever handled. Granted, I don't have a ton of exprience with the higher end NF options.

What do you mean by “the most robust scope I’ve ever handled”? How many rounds do you have on it? How much abuse, zero retention, tracking, etc?

ChrisAU

WKR
If you’re not shooting past 600, why 15x?

Rugged and reliable?

Nightforce NXS, ATACR, SHV 4-14x50mm F1
SWFA SS 3-9x42mm, 5-20x50mm, and 3-15x42mm MQ.

If you you can find one- the Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44mm would be a good choice.

What do you mean by “the most robust scope I’ve ever handled”? How many rounds do you have on it? How much abuse, zero retention, tracking, etc?

It is new to me for this season so not much insight as to the long term durability, it just feels well put together. The clicks are like tapping a 2x4 on a table. Very solid, and it takes effort to go from one to the next. You could dial it with heavy gloves on with your eyes closed. They are heave though. I'm comparing to Leupold VX-6HD, VX-6, VX-3i, Swarovski Z8i, Z5, Z6, Vortex Viper, Bushnell Elite 6500, Leica ER5, and some that I'm forgetting that I've had on my rifles. It just makes them feel cheap. Again, I've had limited experience with NF, none with Kahles, and can offer nothing on long term durability. I think at the price RHR is selling them for they are a bargain and therfore my suggestion to look into.

Last edited: