New Idaho deer rules - how did it turn out?

Gobbler36

WKR
No argument from me. I understand that the game is managed for residents. Just looking at it from a numbers side you could get rid of the 14k NR deer hunters and the state would still be crowded. I know that something is going to have to change in the future and I foresee ID going to a draw for everyone. I just hope if it goes that way its random and they don't jump into the points game.
Oh yeah I’m in agreement there but it’d be where f&g would start I think. I also unfortunately see general seasons becoming a draw. I’ve always said I feel WY has the best system for NR and Residents alike minus the goofy ass wilderness law. If there was a system like this that didn’t utilize a point system and was random I feel that’d be nice. Idk though
Complex issue for sure

Quon24

FNG
Cutting NR tags isn't going to do much to the crowding or much for the deer herd. Are NR really killing enough deer to make any sort of dent compared to the resident hunters? Average success rates statewide in 2020 were 24% I'm guessing that the NR number is lower than that. I love the opportunity that ID allows me to come hunt and realize that something will need to change to support the deer herd but to put the blame on NR for the overcrowding or over hunting is a reach. I saw a minimum 10:1 residents to NRs this year.
NR success rates are actually higher than residents in most cases according to IDFG. To your point though, it still probably doesn't change much. I'm an Idaho resident and after this season I'm convinced a lot of these general units need a resident cap on tags, some sort of antler restriction, or go to a draw. I lost count of the number of 1.5 - 2.5 year old bucks hanging out the back of truck beds during opening weekend. An entire age class of bucks get wiped out during the first week of the season, and we wonder why mature deer numbers are so low.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
less out of state where we hunt, probably 80% less. Overall pressure slightly less. Most folks are not willing to hike back where we do, but especially not residents so we saw less people back there than last. Harvested a nice bull both years, takes two days to pack them out, we work hard to fill the freezer