New Idaho Elk Tag Rule

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
May not be an issue this fall as a lot of people's plans and budgets are getting wrecked financially.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It will be an interesting year all around.

Some times the cure is far worse than the diseases.

Huntnnw

WKR
Me and everyone I know has questioned why they dont make capped tags controlled its stupid. How does it limit opportunity if the same amount of tags are issued, but issued as a controlled hunt. Mentioned above point creep? there are no points. How I see it its greed, guys wanna be able to apply in controlled and then have a backup. If its all controlled then they cant do both. It would increase odds in other controlled hunts

sneaky

"DADDY"
He said point/ odds creep. Meaning, if they make it controlled the odds of drawing one of those tags will creep lower and lower every year as more people keep applying for those tags. He wasn't implying there are points in Idaho, just that the odds for drawing will start declining as if there were points.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Not much out there to be optimistic about these days. The idea that there is even going to be a 'Hunting Season' this year in ID at least gives me some hope. Something to think about other than a malignant virus that is rampaging it's way across the United States. As I re-read my original post to this thread, I realize that it sounds somewhat selfish. It says 'What about me, what about me'. For that, I apologize.

As for IDFG...well...as I said earlier: 'It is what it is'. They know they can't please all of the people all of the time. I believe they are trying to be equitable for the most. As for my perfect 'honey hole', if I can't hunt it with a bow and arrows, I'll hunt it with a camera. There's always a way.

I see this as a positive change. I like that IDFG is willing to try an intermediary solution instead of just going directly to controlled hunts. If this works to reduce the demand on Sawtooth tags and other high demand quota zones it will be great. If it doesn't help to prevent a sell-out in minutes then they can still move towards converting into a controlled hunt in coming years.

As IDFG stated in the article, they have the data to show that many of the hunters buying quota zone tags are also applying for controlled hunts. Now those hunters will have to choose. This could potentially increase drawing odds for those who decide to apply for controlled tags and reduce the first day demand for quota OTC zones.

On a bit of side note, the IDFG Elk Management Plan has a goal of 15% hunter success in General Zones. The zone that this thread has mostly focused in on has averaged 17-28% success rates over the last 4 years. With some units within the zone averaging much more. According to the plan, IDFG could offer a higher number of tags for this zone and still maintain the success rate objective while increasing opportunity and maybe reducing demand for the tags.

Over the last few years of hunter surveys on this issue many options have been considered like the above or split-seasons with a larger total number of tags and shorter seasons. I like IDFG looking for these type of solutions instead of going straight to controlled hunts.

Before this news came out I was definitely going to put in for a tougher to draw controlled hunt before deciding what zone I’ll be in when I don’t draw. Then my thinking immediately shifted to playing it safer and trying to go straight for a capped zone. That was my knee jerk reaction. This will certainly help draw odds to some measurable degree.