New InReach Mini or older Delorme

Looking at thoughts on which direction to go. Would like to add an InReach device for next year. Have carried a SPOT in the past. After an incident this elk season I want to send and receive messages.

I’ve looked at used DeLorme devices in the classifieds. Looking for opinions on if this is a viable option or do I need to buy a new Garmin InReach like the mini. Not trying to be cheap, but always looking to be strategic with what I spend on hunting gear. Why buy the newest model if an older version does the same thing at a reduced cost.
Thanks

Fatcamp

WKR
I had a Delorme model I just sold. Worked fine, no problems at all, but it was big and it always seemed to end up in the leave pile. Hoping the mini fixes that.

hikenhunt

WKR
If you go used, be sure the previous owner deletes their account associated with the device and that the device isn't locked.

Do you have experience with the Zoleo? I’m still trying to decide between the zoleo and inReach mini.
I do. Same network and both work well. I prefer the Zoleo for the messaging features, battery life and price point (subscription is cheaper as well w/ a $5 a month suspension while allowing you to maintain your number/email address. As I said, both do the job, just my 2 cents.

archp625

WKR
I do. Same network and both work well. I prefer the Zoleo for the messaging features, battery life and price point (subscription is cheaper as well w/ a $5 a month suspension while allowing you to maintain your number/email address. As I said, both do the job, just my 2 cents.
I don’t see how the Zoleo is cheaper on the subscription. I live in the Midwest and plan to hunt once or twice a year with it. The zoleo is a 3 month term where the inReach is a month by month.

archp625

WKR
My calculations show the first year of ownership the zoleo is cheaper. After that the inReach wins. But it does take 5 years for the garmin inReach to break even in price. image.jpg

I don’t see how the Zoleo is cheaper on the subscription. I live in the Midwest and plan to hunt once or twice a year with it. The zoleo is a 3 month term where the inReach is a month by month.
I live in BC ... I hunt (use it) a lot more than you do I guess. Run the numbers long term ... its just math.

archp625

WKR
I live in BC ... I hunt (use it) a lot more than you do I guess. Run the numbers long term ... its just math.
You are probably right for the guy that uses it a ton. But for someone that doesn’t live in an area that needs it a lot I don’t see the subscription being cheaper.

archp625

WKR
You are probably right for the guy that uses it a ton. But for someone that doesn’t live in an area that needs it a lot I don’t see the subscription being cheaper.
good job ... I see you did. Among a few other attributes, the Zoleo is just a better bang for the "total" buck. YMMV
Also I promise I’m not here to argue. I’m trying to decide which one to get. Spreadsheets help me decide a lot of things.

mthntnful

FNG
I have the DeLorme and love it! For what it does I don’t see a reason to upgrade. Can probably get it cheaper too.

Rokwiia

WKR
An Inreach Mini serves several functions. The most important for me is to be able to notify authorities that I need a rescue and to communicate the nature of that problem. It sounds like Zoleo and Inreach can both do that.

I believe Zoleo can only operate in conjunction with the app on your phone. If your phone is toast, for whatever reason, you are toast because you can only send preset messages but the satellite communication function is gone.

Zoleo will only communicate your location at that exact moment in time but does not provide any mapping of your trackway.

In the big picture, I think the cost differential between the two is small. I see Zoleo's weak link is its dependence on a cell phone. If I want to get bailed out of a potentially life-threatening situation, and need to communicate information about my situation (venomous bite, bleeding, etc), I don't want that rescue compromised because my phone is not functioning properly at the time.