New iphone digiscoping question

slatty

WKR
Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade to a new iphone (I think the 12). I notice most of the new phones have multiple cameras (2 or 3). My assumption is that despite multiple cameras I can still digiscope and the camera does the math and figures it out? Any experience or advice about this would be helpful. Thank you!

Decker9

WKR
Following, I’m very disappointed in my iPhone 11 with the 3 cameras paired with the phone skope. My phone skope has 2 positions for the two vertical lenses, but nothing for the middle lense that’s off to the side.

I find when going through the zoom ranges, it switches cameras depending on how far I zoom, a real pita, following along to hear if anyone’s discovered a fix for this.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Following, I’m very disappointed in my iPhone 11 with the 3 cameras paired with the phone skope. My phone skope has 2 positions for the two vertical lenses, but nothing for the middle lense that’s off to the side.

I find when going through the zoom ranges, it switches cameras depending on how far I zoom, a real pita, following along to hear if anyone’s discovered a fix for this.

I just went and got the novagrade phone adapter when my old phoneskope didn’t fit my new phone few years back...the novagrade will work for any phone, any spotter, forever. No more new phone new hurdles etc. it’s heavy. But worth it IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decker9

WKR
I just went and got the novagrade phone adapter when my old phoneskope didn’t fit my new phone few years back...the novagrade will work for any phone, any spotter, forever. No more new phone new hurdles etc. it’s heavy. But worth it IMO.

Thank you, I kinda think a mount like this is probably the only way to get these 3 lense phones to work with a spotter.

I thought I had read once, that there was a app, or a way, to lock the cameras so they don’t switch while going through the zoom ranges. Perhaps I’m dreaming though, I can’t seem to find anything on the issue.

OP
slatty

slatty

WKR
I have the novagrade as well. My wife just picked up a new iphone 12 i'll try to test it out in a few days and see how it scopes and let you know.

OP
slatty

slatty

WKR
I set up the new iphone 12 pro on my scope with the novagrade adapter. To my surprise it was no different than digiscoping with the single lens. The camera seemed to just figure it out. Attached are pics at 30x and 60x. No issues going through zoom range for me. I didn't take the time to adjust the adapter properly to the phone so they're a bit blurry around the edges, and that's my fault.

E4CDBA53-A9DA-4676-9B7E-2378BDCB3E37_1_105_c.jpeg4E884369-18F0-4751-B41C-7ED9F6621633_1_105_c.jpeg

I went through this and solved it by downloading Moment, a camera app that allows you to select which lens you want to shoot through regardless of zoom level. Works great and gives better photo options than the built-in iPhone app.

I brought this question up in a previous thread here: App to lock telephoto lens for iPhone 11 Pro Max digiscoping?

OP
slatty

slatty

WKR
Playing around with the camera a bit more now during spring bear.
Which lens do you generally digiscope with? I'm just using the iphone camera app which lets me use 0.5x, 1x, 2x.

OP
slatty

slatty

WKR
I went through this and solved it by downloading Moment, a camera app that allows you to select which lens you want to shoot through regardless of zoom level. Works great and gives better photo options than the built-in iPhone app.

I brought this question up in a previous thread here: App to lock telephoto lens for iPhone 11 Pro Max digiscoping?
Which lens do you generally digiscope with? I'm just using the iphone camera app which lets me use 0.5x, 1x, 2x.

I always use the 2x. I figure if I'm needing the magnification from a spotting scope, I'm going big, so with my 25-60x magnification scope, the 2x makes that 50-120x magnification.

Decker9

WKR
I haven’t got to test it out with my spotter yet, but that moment app seems to do the trick for locking the camera, along with a bunch of other functions. Thanks again!

I was going to upgrade to the iPhone 12 until I read reviews on a photography site that the 11 still had a better camera. I downloaded phoneskope’s app and that locks the lens when choosing between the two vertical lenses (1x or 2x) and that has worked fine.

I also just use the 2x lens as the 1x always shows the rounded corners on my set up. by the time I crop it down, it just ends up around 2x anyway

I can’t see where I would ever want to use the .5x lens as I think you’d just get a small circle with a bunch of black around it

There’s a brand new iPhone coming in 2 months with a major camera upgrade. I would, and am, waiting for that release to upgrade. Just FYI

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been using the Novagrade adapter as well (on a TRACT spotter) on the iPhone 12 mini with good results. Mostly video to show impact on long-range shots. You can see it great and even hear impact if you turn the volume way up. I guess you can't attach a video file but this photo of the moon I took is pretty cool.IMG_3653.JPG

CainGang

FNG

SaltyBowman

Lil-Rokslider
There’s a brand new iPhone coming in 2 months with a major camera upgrade. I would, and am, waiting for that release to upgrade. Just FYI

I am due for an upgrade I think I’ll wait for that new one.

BjornF16

WKR

I know older post...but...

Does the Moment Pro Camera allow for slow motion video capture?

I like using that on the range to capture bullet trace and impacts. Currently I limit myself to 1.9x zoom on my iPhone 11 Pro to keep it on the top camera. Going to 2x switches to digital camera and the PhoneSkope adapter blocks that camera.

I know older post...but...

Does the Moment Pro Camera allow for slow motion video capture?

I like using that on the range to capture bullet trace and impacts. Currently I limit myself to 1.9x zoom on my iPhone 11 Pro to keep it on the top camera. Going to 2x switches to digital camera and the PhoneSkope adapter blocks that camera.

You can record in a high frame rate, up to 240 fps, but it won't play back in slow motion on the phone. You'd have to slow it down in a video editor after the fact. So on the one hand, yes, it can record it a format that will work great for slow motion, but the downside is you won't be able to see how it looks in the field and whether it's good enough, or whether you'd need to shoot again.