New Jeep SUVs

With COVID over, I am back to driving enough that I need something smaller and better on gas than my Tundra. I plan on keeping my Tundra for off road fun, but I have been shopping midsize SUVs. The new wheels will be highway / town transport but I want some cargo room and enough 4wd capability to handle a northeast winter and an occasional muddy dirt road.

2021 Grand Cherokee L caught my eye last year But it is bit longer than I want. I am interested in the Cherokee and even the new compass, both of which are supposed to be rolling out later this month. Anyone driving a Cherokee L or one of the new 2022s that can offer thoughts?

Brendan

WKR
No thoughts on the newest ones, but my '18 trailhawk is much more capable than any pickup I've had. Looking at the specs, I'm not sure how much has changed, if anything at all.

Feels much sportier, more fun to drive, better 4WD system, air suspension, smaller give it much better off road capabilities, etc. I got mine with the old V6, got a smokin deal on it, and get up to about 24 mpg on the highway.

With that said, I really do miss having a pickup. This will likely stay as my commuter and drive it into the ground, and hopefully get back into a pickup in the next couple years.

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
We have a 2019 cherokee trailhawk and the thing rocks. I'd imagine the new ones are just as good if not better. Solid 4wd system, good on the highway, has a rear locking diff, and has solid room for the mid-size segment.

I have owned several Jeeps, lots of Rams, but find myself looking at a Subaru Crosstrek or Outback. Good fuel mileage, good in snow, almost 9" of ground clearance. I'm not under the illusion that the Awd will have the same capabilities of a 4wd pickup, but I think it will work for me. They are priced reasonable enough, I just need to figure out a mesh to use in the grill to protect the radiator from getting packed with seed heads.

I have a friend that has one of the newer Cherokees, no complaints out of it, but I can say the same of several Subaru models, and they are getting better fuel mileage, which for a run around, that's what I'm concerned with.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Buddy, you could drive a school bus and getter better mpg than a tundra. Love Toyota, but man they never did figure out how to make that v8 go far.
I know a few people and have used a grand Cherokee. Super nice interior and decent ride. Mpg at 25 average. Never been off road in one, but I guess ground clearance and tires would be the limiting factor.

Ingo

Lil-Rokslider
My dad has an 18' Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel with the quadratrac/quadraride like the Trail Hawk. It's awesome. Does better than 30mpg on the highway the way he drives.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I've been using a 4Runner for about 5 years and just got a Subaru Outback about a month ago. I'm completely sold on the Outback. It has all the capability I needed in my 4Runner but is a far more comfortable ride. I am probably going to lift it and put on some brush bars with lights and upgrade the rack because Muhrica that's why. I do part time catastrophe adjusting work and have been driving this through the post hurricane debris in Louisiana the past couple weeks. Absolutely no complaints and I'm a big dude. 6'3, 350.

I've been using a 4Runner for about 5 years and just got a Subaru Outback about a month ago. I'm completely sold on the Outback. It has all the capability I needed in my 4Runner but is a far more comfortable ride. I am probably going to lift it and put on some brush bars with lights and upgrade the rack because Muhrica that's why. I do part time catastrophe adjusting work and have been driving this through the post hurricane debris in Louisiana the past couple weeks. Absolutely no complaints and I'm a big dude. 6'3, 350.
And you can park incognito at all the trailheads in Colorado with the hippys in that Outback.

h2so4

WKR
If you go with a Jeep/MOPAR- check out the lifetime warranty options from MOPARR. I bought a new Jeep Wrangler in 2015 along with a lifetime warranty through MOPAR (~2,750). It's been awesome so far and totally paid for itself. At 85k miles its only been used 2-3 times, but still has more than paid for itself. It's great knowing I don't have to worry about anything major as long as I do my oil changes and regular servicing.

Titan_Bow

WKR
And you can park incognito at all the trailheads in Colorado with the hippys in that Outback.

As an owner of a 4Runner, I’d say there as many of not more 4Runners and Tacoma’s at a trail head as there are Subarus!
My wife has a 2015 Forester and it’s a nice car, but we have had a couple significant mechanical issues that would ever prevent me from buying another one! Oh and compared to my 4Runner with locking diff, true low range 4x4, and 33 inch tires, hard to put the Subaru in the same category for off road purposes! It does get way better gas mileage though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
We bought a 2020 Cherokee Altitude Plus December 2020 (got it when the dealer had an excess amount of vehicles due to massive deliveries from the plants catching up) and have been satisfied so far. very comfortable. Mainly a highway driver as I commute 60 round trip each day. MPG is between 26 and 30, all depends on my driving.

shardin

FNG
With COVID over, I am back to driving enough that I need something smaller and better on gas than my Tundra. I plan on keeping my Tundra for off road fun, but I have been shopping midsize SUVs. The new wheels will be highway / town transport but I want some cargo room and enough 4wd capability to handle a northeast winter and an occasional muddy dirt road.

2021 Grand Cherokee L caught my eye last year But it is bit longer than I want. I am interested in the Cherokee and even the new compass, both of which are supposed to be rolling out later this month. Anyone driving a Cherokee L or one of the new 2022s that can offer thoughts?
The few people i know with jeeps, have had a lot of electronic issues with them.