New kid on the rok

Lambfish

FNG
Howdy everyone, I’m a new member from Alabama. Primarily a fisherman but I hunted a lot in NC as a kid and fell out of it during college. Getting back into it now, learning the public land game as I go. So far I’ve had some success in the wood duck swamp and the dove fields, looking forward to putting some deer and small game in the freezer this season!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

OP
Lambfish

Lambfish

FNG
The state does a decent job with the WMAs and the national forests are open as well, definitely nothing like out west! North AL has some fantastic areas that hold bruiser bucks.

GAoutdoor

FNG
Welcome! Where are you hunting?
@Hoeger There is a lot of public land in AL and GA. Most people don't venture far from the road and think there are no deer. Though I found one spot where I hunt on public land in AL where I can watch people walk deeper in while I see deer 200 yards from the road. NC has a lot of public land in the western part of the state, the central part is rather devoid of it.

OP
Lambfish

Lambfish

FNG
@GAoutdoor last season I hunted Talladega (Choccolocco) and Tuskegee NFs. This year I've got access to some private land bordering Talladega and have some trips up to Bankhead/Black Warrior planned.

Agree that you have to get off the road, I generally find points as far from any access as possible and get in there. Really enjoy working for it and hiking rather than sitting in a stand.

GAoutdoor

FNG
I started hunting Tuskegee NF last year and really enjoyed it. With private land access, don't overlook the new $15 baiting privilege. Putting corn out helps get does in the freezer when you have limited hunting time...and takes the pressure off when you are out hiking around. You can also use corn to try and draw them out of the NF and hunt the travel corridors (no baiting privilege needed if you follow the distance/line of sight rules).

OP
Lambfish

Lambfish

FNG
I started hunting Tuskegee NF last year and really enjoyed it. With private land access, don't overlook the new $15 baiting privilege. Putting corn out helps get does in the freezer when you have limited hunting time...and takes the pressure off when you are out hiking around. You can also use corn to try and draw them out of the NF and hunt the travel corridors (no baiting privilege needed if you follow the distance/line of sight rules).
Tuskegee can be sneaky good on weekdays, hardly worth the drive on a weekend though. We've got food plots in and some feeders set already.