New Kifaru Megatarp

Will any trekking pole work for either the Mega or the Supertarp or do you need to have a certain kind? With my trekking poles fully extended, I can't see there being much head room inside the tarps. What am I missing? I use the Hiker Shock trekking poles from REI.

Also, does the Supertarp or Megatarp come with stakes? If not, which ones to you reccomend?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Supertarp and Megatarp do not come with stakes, but they can be purchased from Kifaru (durapegs), but I usually swap them out for MSR Groundhogs.

Any trekking pole that extends to 52 inches will work, so I'm guessing you're short and only need trekking poles that extend to 48 inches.

Take a look at the specs of most tents on the market and you'll see that 52" is about as tall as you'll find for a backpacking/UL shelter.

Nick,

Many use two poles to get the height they are looking for. Check out the Rokslide video ( http://vimeo.com/40135925 ) on the topic for some ideas.

There are kits out that allow you to strap two poles together to get the height you want. This page shows a number of DIY ways to strap two poles together, http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...ums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=17864 .

You could also take along a piece of bamboo or PVC pipe to use as an extender between the ground and the pointy end of your pole to give you the extra height you need.

The ones I have are extendable to 52" so they should work just fine.

I am having a hell of a time with the floorless idea, how do people use this shelter or prepare the ground where you plan to use it if there is a foot of snow on the ground :) ??

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Since you're in the AirForce, I'm guessing you missed extreme cold weather training:) Think of how you build and Iglo.... The heat from stove will form a non-slick crust that's very hard and that becomes a great floor. You can add a piece of Tyvek for a ground cloth as well.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Aron, you know in the Air force if it's to cold you just turn the heat up! :)

Rizzy

WKR
With a floorless shelter in the snow the R value of your sleeping pad is the trick to it. You need a high enough R value to insulate your sleeping bag from the snow. I have never had to pitch it in pure powder, either I find hard pack or its pitched before it starts to snow so far.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Last year during the October 1st opener for Mule Deer we got pounded with snow. We had to set up my floored tent in nearly 8 inches of new snow. We cleared the ground the best we could, and covered the edges of the tent with snow to stop drafts. I went through my buddies gear before we left, but he wasn't nearly prepared and got cold several times. His boots never really got dry, and his rain gear left a lot to be desired.

To top that off, putting a layer of silnylon over the wet ground created a lot of condensation, and it froze and refroze several times creating big patches of ice that I had to haul out of there and dry off in the garage later. To top it off my buddy knocked over some snow we had thawed and it created a pool of water.

Floorless with a stove I will be able to dry off clothes, keep the sleep system dry, and the floor will eventually dry out if it is just wet.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
+1 for Rizzy

I always take 2 pads along with me when the temps drop (foam and air). The foam pad on the bottom and the air on top...a little extra weight, but I've slept in sub zero temps with this set up and done well.

cmeier117

WKR
Aron- If you get a chance maybe do a quick video of setting up the mega tarp? I like pictures but sometimes a little video helps visual people see the design,footprint and size a little better?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
It's smaller... kinda like the Supertarp and Sawtooth "had fun" one night and gave birth to the Megatarp a few days later!

Gestation period for tarps/tipis is only a few days?? Wow no wondering they are showing up like rabbits all over this forum!! :D

How do you think an Ed_T cylinder stove would work in the Megatarp, I'm thinking the BCS might get the boot if I can use our 16" stove from him in there would be ideal and likely save me a bit of coin. ;) Thoughts?? Since neither shelter is what I'd consider open alpine ridge Kodiak proof (megatarp with its large flat sides) this would be a alder/tree camping proposition where fire wood is readily available anyways.

Just might be the ticket over the BCS as of now and with more usable space and less weight??? Always a good thing. :D

Alright, so it's pick on the AF guys is it? The people trying to kill us over here can't seem to tell the difference... I grew up in WI, no cold weather training needed... :)

You answered my question though, so I am thankful for that.

With the guy outs on the sides and the walls nearly vertical the feel and usable space looks very nice. A well designed shelter for the weight and space available.

Lawnboi

WKR
Awsome video, really gives a good idea on the size of it when you can see you or 2 guys in the thing.

Definetly one I will consider when im on the market for a 2 man shelter.

Watch out for that goose crap man.... ;-)

Great vid and yeah... I definitely want one! Gotta wait for the Idaho draws to come out first to see if I REALLY need it or not this year but we'll see. What are the wait times for the first run do you think Aaron?

Mike

Cool can't wait for super tarps to come up for sale now in the classifieds :) the only thing I worry about is bugs with those floorless shelters, though an annex takes care of the sketters but what about ants and crawling ones?