New Kifaru Packs, mainly Kutthroat

S.Clancy

WKR
How many guys honestly tip 80 lbs on a regular basis with their packs? I usually don't break 70 on a 10 day backpacking trip, and that's with 3 liters of water in a bladder! I think the pack would be just fine for elk hunting. You're gonna need multiple trips to pack out an elk, no matter what. Same thing with a big mule deer if you're solo in the backcountry., or at least that's how I see it.
Depends on if you plan on shooting something or not. I'm almost always over 80lbs with elk, unless there is 4-5 people.

bsnedeker

WKR
Depends on if you plan on shooting something or not. I'm almost always over 80lbs with elk, unless there is 4-5 people.
Agreed. Depending on where im at I've loaded up with 120 lbs.... two rear quarters from a cow. That was .25 miles from the truck and all downhill but I'm easily approaching or over 80 on a normal packout. Like I said up top, I'm sure a guy could make it work but I just wouldn't go that route personally. It would be an awesome scouting pack for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I get your point, but I figure I will need three trips for an elk and my gear no matter how much weight I take on the first trip. Maybe my math isn't good, but I can't handle much more than 80 for a significant length of time, no matter what backpack I'm using. So I figure, a hind/front/backstrap is load one and two, and then my gear is the last load. Or some mix of things. That would hopefully be 3 loads between 70-100 lbs.

S.Clancy

WKR
I get your point, but I figure I will need three trips for an elk and my gear no matter how much weight I take on the first trip. Maybe my math isn't good, but I can't handle much more than 80 for a significant length of time, no matter what backpack I'm using. So I figure, a hind/front/backstrap is load one and two, and then my gear is the last load. Or some mix of things. That would hopefully be 3 loads between 70-100 lbs.
Umm, a hind/front/backstrap will weigh at least 90lbs, unless its a calf. A big bull that load will be pushing 120lbs...
FYI, the average front quarter on bulls Ive shot is around 40 lbs each, highest was high 40s. Average rear is around 60, highest 72lbs. All this is bone in. Given an 80lb max, with camp, I think you're looking at 4 trips min.

Trial153

WKR
I packed boned out mule deer out and my bow straped to a 14r. It sucked in all honesty but i survived.
I dont think its so much of question if you can make it as much as why would you really want it to.

Umm, a hind/front/backstrap will weigh at least 90lbs, unless its a calf. A big bull that load will be pushing 120lbs...
FYI, the average front quarter on bulls Ive shot is around 40 lbs each, highest was high 40s. Average rear is around 60, highest 72lbs. All this is bone in. Given an 80lb max, with camp, I think you're looking at 4 trips min.
Well, maybe I've only shot small bodied elk. I like your numbers better than mine! I guess I should have specified that I take the bones out. So cut a few pounds from your numbers. If it's 10 lbs less per load, that is in the 90-100 lb range without a backstrap, so I guess I'll cede this argument. Guess I'd better work on my max load capabilities before next season!

S.Clancy

WKR
Well, maybe I've only shot small bodied elk. I like your numbers better than mine! I guess I should have specified that I take the bones out. So cut a few pounds from your numbers. If it's 10 lbs less per load, that is in the 90-100 lb range without a backstrap, so I guess I'll cede this argument. Guess I'd better work on my max load capabilities before next season!
Those are numbers from ones I've weighed or seen weighed, bone in. Funny enough I actually have never weighed the bones, but your guess sounds reasonable, maybe a little light. I try to weigh all the quarters we bring out to see if I'm just being a big p*****! There is a ton of variance tho. We packed out a full bull and camp in 1 trip with three of us and taken 2 trips to do the same on another bull. The most weight we've ever got off a bull was 320-325 lbs including skull and antlers. Those were also the heaviest quarters 72 lbs rear, 50lb fronts, 65lbs necks, backstraps, tenderloin. Just an ancient 5pt shot on Sept 1, he was FAT!

ozyclint

WKR
i agree that the timberline series was the best they have made.i have a T2 and will never part with it. good to see they are delving into the internal frame again.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
can't help but think they would say the internal frames don't carry as much weight because their money is in frames and selling the latest greatest new bag every year?? my T2 will handle more weight than i can.

that’s impossible, whenever a new kifaru bag comes out the ones from 6 months earlier are obsolete and no longer work.

Marble

WKR
My bulls, all four quarters, no ribs, generally weigh between 225 to 275, bone in. Back strap and tenderloin are probably another 20? We dont weigh the grind and neck meat at the butcher but would imagine it's another 25 to 30 pounds. Bones are 40 to 50?

Last year, my cow was 136 all boned out. Took it and camp out in two trips.

So total for last year was 2 trips for sure over 80, one more close to it, and three around 50.

It was/is only the greatest day pack ever - ha!

He’s referring to the original timberline series packs with the internal frame and the T3 was the smallest at just under 4000ci if I remember correctly. Still running a DT3 these days

I have to argue that and say the greatest was/is the DT1 ;)

Don’t disagree - I still own both

I was seriously thinking about buying the Hoodlum. And still might at some point. But I wanted to try my DT1 on a different frame. So I ordered a Tactical Frame, and took the DT1 off the Bikini Frame. So now I have a real and true comparison based on my fit of either frame.

So then I ordered a Duplex Light Frame and was going to order a Hoodlum to mount on it. Until I found a ranger green DT1 that's never been used. I've never wished my pack was bigger at 7200 CI's, or wished my pack was smaller when fully compressed down in dayhunt mode. If CO ever opens for business, maybe I'll receive my frame fairly soon so I can compare all 3 frames side by side. And no need to test the Bikini obviously. It's retired ;)

Anybody have a bag and want/need a Bikini frame?

Last edited:

Rolando

FNG
Would this be a good option for a 5-6 day Sept. CO elk hunt if I was going to have a local outfitter pack an elk out with their horses?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would this be a good option for a 5-6 day Sept. CO elk hunt if I was going to have a local outfitter pack an elk out with their horses?

I believe it would be great. Will have mine this week to know for sure. I’ll get it loaded up ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk